Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 05:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,585,371 times

Advertisements

I never put the money on the counter. Never thought about why/why not. If I have to count out change (or dig around for it) I give the bills to the cashier and then get the right coins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Even more rude is turning the next customer before I can place my change in my wallet. It worked out better in the past when cashiers bagged your purchase after giving the change.
This is VERY annoying, and I can only think it has to do with some efficiency rating that the cashiers have to keep up (so many customers/hour, something like that). I don't mind the order of it -- bag the groceries and then pay. It's that there's no time to put the change/receipt in my wallet, put the wallet in my purse and zip up the purse before I feel like I'm being pushed out the door! It's not like I'm dawdling, but then I guess they don't want to keep the next customer waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 05:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,577,405 times
Oh my. I had no idea putting the money on the counter bothers some cashiers. I will stop doing it.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,500,394 times
I think all this is a lot of nonsense.

Go with the flow, go with the customer in front of you. No two will be alike. I'm sure that cashiering has enough stress and burn-out potential as it is, without obsessing over who puts money where. As for counting it back, please continue to do that...though you may find some of your younger customers' eyes will glaze over, because they are not taught that kind of math any longer.

As for germs, the cash in your own wallet has as many germs if not more, than what's on the cash you get from customers. Yet you don't hesitate to count it, finger it, spend it. Keep a small bottle of sanitizer on a nearby counter, if it bothers you. Bathing habits have little to do with the germ count. Cash is filthy; it's in the nature of the stuff. Yet most people love it.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:31 PM

210 posts, read 246,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I highly dislike when cashiers do not count out the change to me.
Even more rude is turning the next customer before I can place my change in my wallet. It worked out better in the past when cashiers bagged your purchase after giving the change.
Why?

Old 07-05-2014, 07:34 PM

210 posts, read 246,352 times
I've cashiered for about a year. You have to ignore it. Some will actually put the money in your hands some won't. I only reminded them of the amount of change they are to receive. I stopped counting back due to a lapse in getting them out of the store.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:37 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,491,164 times
in the hand its the right thing to do.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:16 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,845,964 times
I only put the change on the counter when the customer is engaged with something else, like their cellphone or talking to the customer next to them.

My pet peeve from my is when the customer drops his credit card (sometimes they actually fling it) onto the counter. I always want to fling it back after I've run it, but I know better.

I cashier at a very small, very busy local pharmacy. It's 2 registers, pretty much non-stop all day.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 PM

9,149 posts, read 14,784,628 times
As long as you don't put the bills on my hand then dump the coins on top so they then fall off and out of my hand I'll take it how I can get it.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,018,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
If I put money on the counter it is so I can count out my change or my bills to come up with the right amount. It is not a reflection on the cashier or my social status.
I did that today, the bill was $20.06 and I had change so I put down the $20 on the table and then pulled out my coin purse and counted out 6 pennies (much to hubby's embarrassment lol). When she picked up the $20 I did hand her the 6 pennies. But usually if I do cash I hand it directly to them

Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,634,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
Why?
Seriously?
I do not think anyone wants their change thrust at them with a bag of groceries. I have had too many clerks short change me. Count the change to me as you count yourself, allow me to put it away.

A friend who is a clerk just told me of her new gripe. Women pulling bills or cards out of their bras or cleavage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment