Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I haven't used cash in years. When I did, I always handed the cashier the money. I expect the cashier to hand me my change. I recall making a cashier pick up my money and hand it to me. I used to count my change as the cashier pulled it from the drawer. Although, I was always appreciative of the cashier counting it back to me. That said, thank goodness for debit cards!
I also have people who toss the cash onto the counter. Usually older men. The ones who keep big rolls of cash in their pocket, wrapped in a rubber band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:47 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I used to count back the money and attempt to put it in their hands.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
I mostly use credit/debit cards these days. Only use cash for the very very small purchases and those are usually fast food/drive through where you have to hand over the cash else it's going to fall on the ground.

I was a cashier many years ago and remember that each customer handles money/counting/handing it over their own individual way. As a cashier, you shouldn't take it personal. It's not about you (the cashier). When people are dealing with money they are thinking and counting and trying to be extra careful to not drop/lose money or miscount.

They keep it in pockets or purses or envelopes or money clips or socks or already have it in their hands. Some are organized and have their money ready ahead of time. Others are digging and counting at the last minute. Some have neat organized money and others have it wadded up and all mixed up and in many different pockets. Some don't have enough money and have to put items back because they cannot pay the full amount. Some have WIC or food stamps and some have crisp hundred dollar bills. Some have a cup of change and some only want change(such as change for a dollar). I even had a regular customer that had real fingernails that were approx 12 inches long!

Just go with the flow and be nice to them and realize.....it's NOT about you. And don't make it about you.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM

98 posts, read 269,034 times
When I was a cashier, I used to keep a pair of stainless steel salad tongs behind the register to pick up money from the counter from women who would pull out money from their cleavage. The jerk customers who said "You can put my money on the counter, I don't know where your hands have been"... I would respond by saying "That was very diligent of you. I never wash my hands after a bowel movement. Now go spread joy."

Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
As a cashier now, I end up having to count money back to a customer and give it to them, however, I notice that many customers put the money on the counter and just leave it there. That's fine, because I am sort of a germaphobe now anyways, but when giving the money back I have to put it in their hand, otherwise it is considered rude right? I can't just put the change on the counter and leave it there I don't think. If its rude to not put the money back in their hand, how come a good majority of customers don't put in my hand from the get go? Just wondering here.

When I was a cashier I would hand back their change in the same way that they handed it to me (if they put it on the counter, then I did the same). I wasn't trying to be rude, I just figured that since they handed the change to me in a certain way then that must mean that that's how they wanted the change back. However I did have a few people say "that's not how you hand change back" despite handing it back the same way they gave me their money. Can't win.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I put it on the counter (and wish cashiers did, too) because there is less chance any of the coins will drop. It has nothing to do with germs or not wanting to have contact with someone.
Me too, not any kind of insult, I am just not very coordinated and end up dropping half the coins, lol.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM

29 posts, read 44,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
In Japan, instead of hand-to-hand contact, there is a small tray at every cashier which serves as an intermediary. You put your money in the tray, and the cashier returns any extra money by putting it into the tray.
I was just about to post this as I am living in Japan right now. Sometimes, they will put the change in your hand even when you put it in the tray. I've also seen some cashiers call over another cashier while they're counting the money back to you to make sure you're not being short changed.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
As a cashier now, I end up having to count money back to a customer and give it to them, however, I notice that many customers put the money on the counter and just leave it there. That's fine, because I am sort of a germaphobe now anyways, but when giving the money back I have to put it in their hand, otherwise it is considered rude right? I can't just put the change on the counter and leave it there I don't think. If its rude to not put the money back in their hand, how come a good majority of customers don't put in my hand from the get go? Just wondering here.
This is why we should all pay with credit cards!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
The way I see it, if the counter wasn't intended for counting money, why would they call it a counter?

But cash is obsolete, and I simply stopped using it, except in those few situations where it's still needed. One advantage is that your money is less likely to get swiped. You swipe your card instead.

I remember when supermarkets always used to ask "paper or plastic" and they weren't even talking about cash vs cards. But now it's all plastic bags and mostly plastic cards.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:50 AM

49 posts, read 66,314 times
I rarely use cash, but when I'm at work and ring up customers, I just hand them their change. I typically don't count it out loud to them, but we only see 2-3 cash transactions per day so it's not a common instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment