Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am very conscious of this and most people don't seem to care. Older people have a hard time with the receipt and change all in one hand. Some will put out both hands for change, some won't. You just have to go with what seems like the customer wants you to do.
I always hand the change back first, then the bills. I really hate it as a customer when I get a pile of bills and then they dump the change on top. Especially at a drive-up window!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM

7 posts, read 7,991 times
How about don't pile the bills, the receipt and the change in my hand?
You want I should jam the whole mess in my pocket and sort it out when I'm not in your line?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:01 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
I rarely count change BACK anymore. It's more time consuming and to be honest it's not just a cashier problem. A lot of customers don't know how it works either, doing so sometimes gets you a deer in the headlights look and an occasional request to count it back again because they were unable to follow what you were doing.
Small amounts simply get the bills fanned out, here is your $8 in change. Larger amounts get counted out, but not usually counted back, here is the $20, 40, 60 dollars you have coming back. Counting back, only when it's dead slow.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM

205 posts, read 245,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I once witnessed a "Gentleman" ream out a teenage cashier because he didn't like the way she put the money in his hand. I was floored, and told him to quit being an ahole.

As long as I get my change, I don't care how you do it.
That's messed up. I think that is part of my problem too, that I look younger and some people seem to think that because someone is young that they can just talk to them crazy. It's messed up. Happened to me in one of my college classes where an older gentleman found out my age and then told me that if he would have known that, that he would have been nicer..I was like..wow, what an ahole..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Not so much because of 'dirty humans' but because of 'dirty money' we keep a small bottle of hand sanitizer at each register. You need to be less paranoid...or get a job that doesn't entail working with the public.
Less paranoid? it has nothing to do with paranoia. If I get sick or have to go to the hospital, are you going to pay my hospital bills?

I also did work today and it wasn't so bad. Most people gave it to me in my hand. I just wanted to know that if it was rude, then why do people do it? If someone puts the money on the counter to get something else though, that doesn't bother me.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:57 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
Here in Toronto, most of the food market cashiers wear disposable gloves, that they change every half hour. Some of that has to do with religious belief ( muslims don't want to touch pork) and some vegans also don't want to touch meat in plastic covered trays. They are provided with the gloves by the employer. Obviously, the worry about "germs " is not a issue, if you wear the gloves , as a cashier.

Canada did away with the one and two dollar bills about 20 years ago, in favour of two unique looking coins, that last for ever. Last year we did away with the one cent coin, too. No more pennies here.

So, if the price is 1.87, the cashier rounds up to 1.90, and if the price of a item is 1.63, the price is rounded down to 1.60. No one here can pay for groceries with a personal cheque, the stores won't accept them. We use debit cards for just about everything that we buy here in Canada. I rarely carry any cash.

Many stores here have coin dispensers attached to the cash register, that drops your change into a small coin cup, so the cashier doesn't need to count it out, the customer simply picks it up themselves. Using coins for the one and two dollar amounts is standard here. We would never go back to paper small amount bills, they don't last very long, before they need to be taken out of circulation, by the Bank Of Canada, to be destroyed. The cash registers show the "change due " amount that the customer should get back. Oh and we do it in two languages, too. Voila.

Jim B. Toronto.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:58 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
i guess i am wierd but most cashiers do not place my $$ in my hand.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
i guess i am wierd but most cashiers do not place my $$ in my hand.
I was always afraid I'd drop it.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I always hand the change back first, then the bills. I really hate it as a customer when I get a pile of bills and then they dump the change on top. Especially at a drive-up window!!
I just got home from work and I was really conscious of this all day today. I really paid attention and this is what I found...MOST people will only put out one hand to get their change back. So I placed it all in that one hand. Not one person got irritated. lol If they have both hands out I'll separate it to bills in one and change in the other. I just go with what the customer does and let that be my guide.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I rarely count change BACK anymore. It's more time consuming and to be honest it's not just a cashier problem. A lot of customers don't know how it works either, doing so sometimes gets you a deer in the headlights look and an occasional request to count it back again because they were unable to follow what you were doing.
Small amounts simply get the bills fanned out, here is your $8 in change. Larger amounts get counted out, but not usually counted back, here is the $20, 40, 60 dollars you have coming back. Counting back, only when it's dead slow.
How long does it take to count change back? Three seconds? Five? Not even. It takes a very short amount of time and while I know customers can be impatient it just isn't THAT long. So I'd have to argue with you about that "time consuming" thing. It really just isn't.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
That's messed up. I think that is part of my problem too, that I look younger and some people seem to think that because someone is young that they can just talk to them crazy. It's messed up. Happened to me in one of my college classes where an older gentleman found out my age and then told me that if he would have known that, that he would have been nicer..I was like..wow, what an ahole..

Less paranoid? it has nothing to do with paranoia. If I get sick or have to go to the hospital, are you going to pay my hospital bills?

I also did work today and it wasn't so bad. Most people gave it to me in my hand. I just wanted to know that if it was rude, then why do people do it? If someone puts the money on the counter to get something else though, that doesn't bother me.
Sure it has to do with "paranoia" if you think your customers are going to make you sick because they look like they haven't bathed, etc.. I've been working with the public for over 50 years and I doubt I've gotten sick from them very often in all that time. Keep yourself clean, hands washed and use hand sanitizer and you won't have to worry about it so much.

I don't know if not handing cashiers money is 'rude' or not. I've just never thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment