Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM

537 posts, read 1,246,143 times

Advertisements

This morning, we ran out of toner. Over a week ago, another employee ordered toner and we received everything but black toner. So of course we ran out of black toner today.

I sent an e-mail to everyone in the suite letting them know we were out, but they had the option of using the color printer the floor above us in case they needed color copies. I didn't think it was a huge deal considering there are so many copiers/printers on the two floors.

One of my managers informs me there's something wrong with the copier (she hadn't read the e-mail I sent out). I inform her that we are out of toner and that she can use the copier literally twenty steps further away or she can use the one upstairs if needed. In return, she says nothing but gives me the look. You know that look. It was like she was disgusted and frustrated at the same time.

Okay.

A few minutes later, I get an e-mail from her, and she copied my co-worker letting us know that toner is a staple in our suite, and we need to make sure we get orders in on time.

Okay.

Since working here over a year ago, this is what I experience on an almost daily basis. The toner was ordered about two weeks ago, and we couldn't control that what we needed was on back order. Of course, I should have had another toner waiting in the supply room, and that's something I'm more than willing to own up to.

Am I weird for thinking she's rude? I haven't been treated this way in a long time, and it makes coming in to work everyday misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,572,239 times
Something like that can really halt business in certain offices. She was probably just annoyed. I'd order as much as the budget allows to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,008,896 times
She's rude, but she's not wrong that you should have had toner. You obviously waited way too long to order a necessary item. I'd be annoyed too, but I probably wouldn't have been so rude about it. Unless it wasn't the first time. I'd also wonder why you didn't bother to put a sign on the copier letting people know it was out of order before they tried to use it.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 PM

45,529 posts, read 60,771,442 times
If you were a teacher you would have been told to go buy some yourself because the toner allotment was filled for the year. In October.

What's a "color printer"? I've heard of them before from Central Office people but have never seen one. I've never seen a UFO, either.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:49 PM

537 posts, read 1,246,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
She's rude, but she's not wrong that you should have had toner. You obviously waited way too long to order a necessary item. I'd be annoyed too, but I probably wouldn't have been so rude about it. Unless it wasn't the first time. I'd also wonder why you didn't bother to put a sign on the copier letting people know it was out of order before they tried to use it.
It's funny you should mention that. I was making the sign as she was walking to the copier.

Alas, our order is finally coming in this afternoon. Delayed, but thankfully no one died.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,150,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
Alas, our order is finally coming in this afternoon. Delayed, but thankfully no one died.
So go ahead and order the spare now. Then when the spare arrives, attach a note to it that says "Re-order toner when this spare is installed." Make that the standard procedure and this will never be an issue again.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
It's funny you should mention that. I was making the sign as she was walking to the copier.

And this, to me, identifies the problem. As long as nobody died, what's the big deal, right?

If it's your job to order supplies, and you know things could be on back order, you need to do a better job of ordering supplies. In one office I worked at this was a constant problem. In other offices, it's never a problem because the people in charge order as soon as they see they're down to X number remaining. They allow for big jobs and back orders. They're proactive. They're thinking.

Everyone is doing the work of one and half people, and they try to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible, so having to use another printer can be a hassle, particularly if there are now twice as many people using it. Yes, she was rude, probably due to frustration, but someone there needs to do a better job, whether it's you or someone else.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,527,387 times
You know that you should have had a spare -- that's good, and hopefully something you'll keep in mind for the future.

Was she rude? Not really. It sounds like she was perhaps printing something on the way to a meeting/call, and while 20 extra steps away isn't far, going back to her desk, pulling up the document and printing it again to a new computer can be extremely frustrating, especially when you're in a time crunch already. I try to print things out in advance, but sometimes it's unavoidable that I have to print quickly before a meeting, and I would have found a situation like this rather frustrating.

Of course, she should have read the email, but I can't get a sense of the timeframe between you sending the email and this happening. If you sent the email at 8am and she hadn't read it by 1pm, then that's one thing, but if you sent it at 10:30 and this happened at 11, then that's another.

The fastest way to avoid this is to do what the office manager at my current job does -- take regular inventory (monthly, every other week, whatever works) and immediately order supplies when they get below a certain threshold.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,060,622 times
Is it YOUR job to order the toner?

If so, be frustrated at her reaction all you want, but it would serve YOU better to be apologetic and keep the effing toner in stock.

Also, learn about how to implement kanban in your ordering process:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban

Be glad she only gave you "the look." When I first started, I worked for a guy who would have treated the office to a profanity-filled, box-kicking tirade.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,697,054 times
If you needed black toner, and you knew you were running out, and the vendor you needed black toner from has it on back order, then you have to be pro-active and get it from another vendor. If you can't use other vendors, then you need to discuss it with your boss and/or others to advise them of the situation and either use petty cash to get the toner from Staples, etc or order it elsewhere.

There are other solutions. Instead of being pissed you've been treated rudely, go back to your boss with solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment