Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 05:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times

Advertisements

Call each other by first names. Help each other move. BBQ's. Talk about mother in laws. Joke about losing hair. Using text as main form of communication. Mish mash business meeting with pleasure at boss's home over dinner. Bring dogs into office.

Can't say I've worked in a company with all these things. Personally, I love it. But I can see how it might make people uncomfortable.

Would you guys work in a company like his as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
First names yes, I have never worked anywhere that did not happen.

I have never socialized with coworkers outside of the office so the rest of your list is a no for me.
In my opinion it is best not to mix personal business with paid business.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM

49 posts, read 66,314 times
First names always, text occasionally, but mostly brief items such as "Hey boss, it's 9:30 and I'm gonna be a few minutes late tomorrow, I have an appointment with water dept" or something like that.

I'm friends with a couple former co-workers on facebook, but typically aren't when we still work together. Not because there's anything to hide, but I already spend most of my day with them, a little escape is good for all of us.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:01 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Call each other by first names. Help each other move. BBQ's. Talk about mother in laws. Joke about losing hair. Using text as main form of communication. Mish mash business meeting with pleasure at boss's home over dinner.
The things in bold would be too much for me. Too close, especially with a boss.

But, if you really click and don't mind any of it, it could work. Trouble comes, though, when hard decisions have to be made. Does the boss lay off his new BFF? How do you quit, when it's time to move on? Most people feel more comfortable keeping a distance.

Quote:
Bring dogs into office.
This would be awesome!!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
That's pretty much what my work is like. Minus the dog part. I like the fact that we can have that level of comfort. Not everyone at my job are like that but the option is there for them to be if they so choose.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:49 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
First names always. Light personal talk - travel, sports, hobbies, etc, unless I know someone is particularly sensitive. Never politics, religion, or the news.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:32 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Call each other by first names. Help each other move. BBQ's. Talk about mother in laws. Joke about losing hair. Using text as main form of communication. Mish mash business meeting with pleasure at boss's home over dinner. Bring dogs into office.

Can't say I've worked in a company with all these things. Personally, I love it. But I can see how it might make people uncomfortable.

Would you guys work in a company like his as well?
Call each other by first names; ok fine.

help each other move; never. they can pay people for that.

BBQs; Nope.

Talk about mother in laws; Nope.

Joke about losing hair; Nope.

Text as main form of communication: Nope.

Bring dogs; Never. - unprofessional.

mix business meeting pleasure at boss's home; Never.

Some of these things are unprofessional. Others imply a fake "closeness." Jobs are all temporary when you are an employee and work for someone else. You can get fired/layed off any time without warning for any reason. Why get all personal and cozy with people? They're not your friends.

If you want to climb high and make a lot of money, you can't get too friendly with coworkers or bosses. Anyone can sabotage you behind your back meanwhile with a smile and "I love you's". It's all bs. You should be friendly but not a pushover. Helping someone move is being a pushover.
IF you stay at a job only a few years, you don't have time to overengage in all this "camaraderie" bs.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM

106 posts, read 92,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Call each other by first names; ok fine.

help each other move; never. they can pay people for that.

BBQs; Nope.

Talk about mother in laws; Nope.

Joke about losing hair; Nope.

Text as main form of communication: Nope.

Bring dogs; Never. - unprofessional.

mix business meeting pleasure at boss's home; Never.

Some of these things are unprofessional. Others imply a fake "closeness." Jobs are all temporary when you are an employee and work for someone else. You can get fired/layed off any time without warning for any reason. Why get all personal and cozy with people? They're not your friends.

If you want to climb high and make a lot of money, you can't get too friendly with coworkers or bosses. Anyone can sabotage you behind your back meanwhile with a smile and "I love you's". It's all bs. You should be friendly but not a pushover. Helping someone move is being a pushover.
IF you stay at a job only a few years, you don't have time to overengage in all this "camaraderie" bs.

Wow, helping someone move is being a pushover.

Heaven forbid, you not get paid for every ounce of effort you exert!

Being "professional" in itself is being phony.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 3,877 times
I am in a situation like this. Myself, 4 co workers, and our boss are very close. We text about non work related things, attend non work events together, get together on the occasional weekend for drinks or bbq etc. It may be different for sales people though. The people in our group all get along great and are very outgoing. With that said, it has been a great work environment but it has hindered my growth as I have been offered 2 positions for large pay raises and more responsibilities with other companies. I declined both. I found reasons not to take them, but in the back of my mind I know that the loyalty to my, coworkers/friends is a contributing factor. Its great to like going to work with friends, not so great when you have an urge to leave for new opportunities.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:24 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work324 View Post
Wow, helping someone move is being a pushover.

Heaven forbid, you not get paid for every ounce of effort you exert!

Being "professional" in itself is being phony.
yes, helping someone move is a pushover. why do you have to help? is it part of your job? what happens when you drop and break something or you hurt yourself? how is that working for you sport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment