Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 8,110 times

Advertisements

Think the future of Pharmacy is very dim. Incredible oversaturation and staff reduction, automation of prescription filling and the use of cheap technicians. Ask people in the field Today what they think. Make sure you speak to experienced Pharmacists. Educators in the Schools are biased and are living in an ivory tower!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 PM

2,926 posts, read 2,177,843 times
it's true. one of the big things driving this is the increase in the number of pharmacy schools which significantly increased the number of grads. i believe in the last 10 years the number of colleges of pharmacy has almost doubled. the large chains had a hand in this which helps to drive down wages. some are "for profit" schools.

add to that the bare bones staffing at retail stores, automation (highly unlikely the job will be 100% automated but...), increase of use of technicians and changes in the rph/tech ratios in stores implemented by various state legislatures brought about by pressure from the large chains. also hospitals are "optimizing" staffing and using more techs and automation as well.

it's also becoming a terrible job. speak to retail staff in the large chains, it's all about metrics and very little about caring for patients. it's flu shot/shingles quotas, how few minutes to fill a prescription, how much you can up-sell non-pharmacy items, etc. i've heard CVS has key loggers but have never verified this,

hospital jobs have become the holy grail but are getting to the point where all the "good" clinical jobs require at least a PGY1 residency and some require a PGY2 residency.

i would not, at this point, recommend pharmacy for anyone. and don't forget grads will probably have close to 150K in student loans. too bad, because it was a great career for me.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 PM

630 posts, read 1,050,920 times
there are several threads about this on the student doctor forum. In one of the threads someone mentioned that everyone in his cohort was able to find employment after school, so I wouldn't freak out too much yet

Old 10-05-2014, 08:52 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Part of the problem, at least there, is that they overbuilt vastly during the economic boom, CVS and Publix on every corner, then brought in many foreign visa pharmacists to help fill the jobs (at the time many more jobs than pharmacists). Then when the bubble inevitably burst, they started closing many of the stores they opened, putting all those people into the unemployment line.

I didn't even think of automation, but that makes sense. On the show "Nurse Jackie", the hospital replaced the pharmacist with a computer that dispensed the pills to the nurses.

It is also a stressful job, especially in retail. My friend worked 12 hour shifts with no breaks. You have to work weekends and many holidays nowadays, too as nothing retail seems to close anymore for anything.
Good post.

I agree with what you say about retail, too. I worked as a pharmacy tech while in college, and then as a pharmaceutical sales rep for a few years after I graduated. With few exceptions (I'm sure your friend is one of them ), I found that pharmacists are not the happiest bunch of people, and I'm being diplomatic when I say that. Hospital pharmacists seem a little more content, but not over-the-moon happy in their jobs, either.

Yes, OP, pharmacy IS a stressful job, particularly at the retail level. It seems to quickly burn people out.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,612,382 times
I have a friend of a friend who recently graduated pharm school -may of 2014 to be exact. From what I have been told: finding the full time hospital pharmacy position is next to impossible because that is the position every pharm grad wants. Instead you will have to start per-diem/part time- which is also quite hard to get then apply along with all the other per-diem pharmacist for that one open full time hospital spot.

I have heard that going retail is a bit better yet that seems to be the last choice of work for many pharm grads.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 AM

51,692 posts, read 25,969,636 times
I know half a dozen pharmacists who graduated in the last ten years. Every one wanted to be a hospital pharmacist. Every one is working retail. None particularly like their jobs. None are making what they thought they would.

That said, it is a decent living, they have been able to go part-time when their babies were young, none have been unable to find employment.

The days of a pharmacist owning her own pharmacy are pretty much gone. The complicated reimbursement system has driven small pharmacies out of business.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:05 AM

435 posts, read 637,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsbob View Post
Talk to people you meet instead of asking online.
I think both ways can be effective. Nothing wrong with doing online research.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 16 days ago)

16,134 posts, read 21,271,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
it's true. one of the big things driving this is the increase in the number of pharmacy schools which significantly increased the number of grads. i believe in the last 10 years the number of colleges of pharmacy has almost doubled. the large chains had a hand in this which helps to drive down wages. some are "for profit" schools.

add to that the bare bones staffing at retail stores, automation (highly unlikely the job will be 100% automated but...), increase of use of technicians and changes in the rph/tech ratios in stores implemented by various state legislatures brought about by pressure from the large chains. also hospitals are "optimizing" staffing and using more techs and automation as well.

it's also becoming a terrible job. speak to retail staff in the large chains, it's all about metrics and very little about caring for patients. it's flu shot/shingles quotas, how few minutes to fill a prescription, how much you can up-sell non-pharmacy items, etc. i've heard CVS has key loggers but have never verified this,

hospital jobs have become the holy grail but are getting to the point where all the "good" clinical jobs require at least a PGY1 residency and some require a PGY2 residency.

i would not, at this point, recommend pharmacy for anyone. and don't forget grads will probably have close to 150K in student loans. too bad, because it was a great career for me.
Gotten to the point that our pharmacist rarely has more than two techs, often just one and during the the slow periods or the techs lunch may be there alone, relying on mgt to help if 'necessary'. Meaning that the RPh is taking patients at both the in window and drive thru, running the register, filling, verifying, and answering the phone, alone. Huge shift from even five years ago when the RPh needed to do little other than verify whatever the techs gave him/her and dispense information to the patient.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:22 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,323,488 times
My daughter's ex boyfriend graduated last year and got a job offer from CVS right away, starting at $115K.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:26 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,791,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The days of a pharmacist owning her own pharmacy are pretty much gone. The complicated reimbursement system has driven small pharmacies out of business.
Gee, I don't know if that is true in small-town America. My cousin owns her own pharmacy and her ex-husband owns the other in two small towns that are about 4 miles apart....they are both still doing business hand over fist, employing several people...they both live well...nice homes, vehicles, etc. The ex-husband actually employs another pharmacist at his place now so he doesn't have to be there all the time.

It is the same way in all the other small towns in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment