Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,782,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You have no clue about what is meant by abuse of power.
Apparently you don't either when you're defending someone who will turn away a perfectly good candidate because they're doing something uncontrollably that all human beings do.

But since you insists on trying to one-up me to protect your bruised ego, I'm sure you'll want to have the last word. So have at it. I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I have not seen any examples offered by you as an abuse of power. I see you offer up irrational examples that are pretty much nonsense. And a perfectly good candidate would not be yawning in an interviewers face. If people here cannot understand this simple manner of disrespect then it's no wonder folk are un or underemployed.

I wouldn't put up with a friend, or even my husband, yawning in my ear as I spoke. I certainly wouldn't put up with it from a potential hire (housekeeper, electrician, or even a potential at the co I work for).

I am pro-personal responsibility. I think we empower ourselves. I do not think we should be dependents on any corporation. You, OTOH, appear to believe that you are entitled something by corporate entities. I do not understand that point of view or where it was learned by many here.
I don't feel I'm entitled to anything by anyone. I've never asked anyone for a handout.

That said, I simply have no tolerance for BS and double standards. Turning away a perfectly good candidate because they're doing something uncontrollably that all human beings do simply because it bothers you is an abuse of power.

I suppose you would reject them as well if they had a cold and were sneezing and coughing a lot?

It's a silly reason to reject someone. Simple as that.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,261,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I don't feel I'm entitled to anything by anyone. I've never asked anyone for a handout.

That said, I simply have no tolerance for BS and double standards. Turning away a perfectly good candidate because they're doing something uncontrollably that all human beings do simply because it bothers you is an abuse of power.

I suppose you would reject them as well if they had a cold and were sneezing and coughing a lot?

It's a silly reason to reject someone. Simple as that.
You are entitled because you think your personal preferences rule the roost for other people. If you want to hire someone that is sick and sleep deprived to take care of your children, meet with clients, cook your food, or whatever, that's your choice. I would not argue it. That you think it's your call to rule other people's preferences is indicative of what you are all about employment-wise.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
You are entitled because you think your personal preferences rule the roost for other people. If you want to hire someone that is sick and sleep deprived to take care of your children, meet with clients, cook your food, or whatever, that's your choice. I would not argue it. That you think it's your call to rule other people's preferences is indicative of what you are all about employment-wise.
I have no control over other people's personal preferences, but I'm certainly free to judge their preference if I feel it's not right.

Essentially, instead of using the interview to understand why the candidate may be yawning or may have a cold, you're judging them by their cover and automatically ruling them out before they can make their case.

If you can't understand why that's an abuse of power, then you'll just never get it.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM

19,018 posts, read 25,261,225 times
Quote:
I have no control over other people's personal preferences, but I'm certainly free to judge their preference if I feel it's not right.
Sure, but it's about your entitlement issues. That's all I'm saying. Your judgements are rooted in a desire to control and rule over others.

Quote:
Essentially, instead of using the interview to understand why the candidate may be yawning or may have a cold, you're judging them by their cover and automatically ruling them out before they can make their case.
The only professional who should be using time spent to ascertain why a person is yawning or having a cold is a doctor or mommy. Sorry, but employers are not going to want to be your doctor or mommy. You are going to have to learn to accept this fact of life.

Quote:
If you can't understand why that's an abuse of power, then you'll just never get it.
Entitlement up the ying yang. And no, I will never get where you're coming from. Thank God.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,167,746 times
If you're yawning it is generally (though not always) because you are tired or dehydrated. Both are completely controllable and preventing them is part of proper interview preparation. It is not abuse of power to judge people on their interview preparation.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Sure, but it's about your entitlement issues.
I'm not even sure you know what entitlement means, as I don't feel I'm owed anything by anyone.

In fact, it's a word that's thrown around way too loosely by folks who are called out on their power trips and selfishness because they feel "offended."

You will just never get it.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you're yawning it is generally (though not always) because you are tired or dehydrated.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Both are completely controllable and preventing them is part of proper interview preparation. It is not abuse of power to judge people on their interview preparation.
Except that yawning is not completely controllable and preventable. That's why it's called a reflex. It's something your body just does when it wants to do it.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,167,746 times
Quote:

Except that yawning is not completely controllable and preventable. That's why it's called a reflex. It's something your body just does when it wants to do it.

One yawn, yes, may be a reflex, multiple, no (outside perhaps an odd medical condition).

It wants to do it when you're tired (or sometimes dehydrated), it is your responsibility to be neither at an interview. It is part of interview preparation. That is completely controllable and entirely the candidate's responsibility.

Not being properly prepared for an interview is perfectly fine to judge a candidate on.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,909 posts, read 2,082,529 times
To paraphrase Allen Iverson: "we in here talkin' about yawning....yawning"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment