Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:48 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,773,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Let me start with this, yawning is NOT generally have a reason for the action (Source.) Many do consider it involuntary (as you start it in the womb and could be controlled but it is a vague control by sleeping (though it doesn't always work.) Healthline lists 10 reasons, the first four of which are sleep related, the others include (possible) preventable health issues like obesity and five that can't exactly be prevented such as stroke and heart attack. So while it is possible we can control it, it's not a black and white. Now granted, I'd likely take a candidate who didn't provided every other score was equal. If the yawning candidate scored better or the candidate that didn't yawn scored better, it's a clear decision.
Perfectly stated.

My point before was that it's just insane to automatically reject a candidate because they're yawning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,394,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Perfectly stated.

My point before was that it's just insane to automatically reject a candidate because they're yawning...
Agreed. There are a lot of reasons why someone might yawn. Sometimes I yawn if the room is too hot or if I'm drinking a hot coffee. Hot anything makes me yawn.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,821,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Just join a local group for career development or the unemployed. That's what I did. You can google them or check meetup.com
I couldn't find any. The only ones in Meetup in my area are for starting a business.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,646,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's nice, but it's also not the problem at hand. We're talking about you doing everything possible to land a job, not trying to gin up a bunch of excuses on what the potential employer did or didn't do.

It's really weird. We're all simply trying to provide you guys with common-sense advice and all you want to do is argue and weasel out of taking any responsibility. It's always someone else's fault. It's always the fault of a capricious universe or the exploitive nature of corporate America that people don't offer you a job.

Well, they didn't give me a business card so I can't write a thank-you note. Well, they didn't read my resume before the interview. Well, I've waited weeks and no word. They threw hard questions at me in the interview. It's so not fair.

Guess what? For every job for which you interview, there are any number of qualified candidates with abilities that compare to your own. That means the intangibles come into play in a dozen different ways: Your attentiveness in the interview, your initiative in actually researching the company, your ability to handle yourself under the stress of a difficult question, your ability to act and dress professionally, and your mastery of basic business courtesies so that they can bring you into a future client meeting without hesitation. Ultimately, people do business with people, so these things matter a great deal.

In short, unless you are the sine qua non of your profession, they are the buyers and you are the sellers. I mean, if you were selling your house, wouldn't you clean it up? Wouldn't you mow the lawn? Or would you just leave dirty dishes in the sink and not bother running a vacuum before the real estate agent shows up? Because if you yawn during an interview, don't bother writing a thank you note, dress like a slob, and show up late, that's essentially what you're doing.

This is a fair post and I do agree.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Honestly, nobody I know here on the West Coast sends thank you notes after interviews.

Definitely a cultural difference from the South. Nothing wrong at all with thank you notes; in fact, it shows that the interviewee has some class. But this definitely indicates a cultural difference.
I do, always have. It was part of the general job hunt advice. I do not send notes after phone interviews. Only in person ones. Emails only these days. This is a great way to include extra info about why you are qualified and additional documentation or work samples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
Reading through that post, I definitely see the reasons why so many folks are unemployed or can't find a better suited job. Here are some comments:

1. Resumes - print out your f****g resume and hand a copy to all interviewers when you come in. Don't be so desne and think the interviewer should have a copy. Make it easy for them to hire you. You have to stand out from the next guy. Although on the other hand don't let them focus on the resume. They are hiring you, not the resume.
I haven't brought a printed resume to an interview for at least 7 years. I only used a printed resume. 2-3 times ever. It wasn't worth wasting the paper. Now I save a copy on my ipad to have available. The ipad is really for the powerpoint presentation i have prepared and may review as a work sample or evidence of experience. If i have no reason to present it, i'll mention it at the end of the interview and include a link in my thank you email.

Quote:
Exactly. Just about every high school and junior college in the country has something like that offered to anyone who wants it. The problem is that some people are so unmotivated that they don't take time to learn what the fundamentals are.
We did not have this at my high school and in college it was only available to certain people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You abt like they hand out business cards like candy. Not every one does, what do you do in that case?
Always ask for their info. You can also say, if i have follow up questions, can i email you?

Quote:

If I were interested in a company, there's no way I would walk into an interview without knowing the following:

1) What they sell and to what markets.
2) What their company's growth has been like.
3) The size of their operations.
4) The LinkedIn profile of the person interviewing me.
5) The general trends in the industry.
6) How I could possibly fit in to advance the company's interests.
I mostly interview at privately held companies. Financial and growth details are not available. Sometimes the company's positioning is not clear or well flushed out.

Honestly, i save my research for the in person interview. And ask a lot of questions in the phone screen. I ask during the phone screen what the key challenges the role is expected to solve so i can prepare examples or evidence of experience in those areas. Or at least a few coherent thoughts on how to approach the problems.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:47 PM

435 posts, read 637,277 times
Graphic designer is a creative job field. I don't think many ultra-conservative types would go into it.

My husband recently went to a job interview in a suit and tie, and the interviewers commented that they felt it was unnecessary for him to dress this way. They told him he should dressed more casual, because that is how they all dress (its a start up company with lots of younger employees). Now he feels self conscious as though he did something wrong by wearing a suit.

you just never know......

Old 08-30-2014, 03:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,818,366 times
Quote:
And, to my point, if your prospective employer has interviewed ten candidates of roughly equal experience and skill level and only one sends a thank-you note, who do you think is most likely to get remembered?
If the HM makes up their mind one way or the other, on who sends a thank you note, they are not experienced in interviewing, or they are not really doing their job. The HM is to use the resume, and interview to determine who would be the best candidate for the position. The one with the proper training and experience, and the one that will fit in best with co-workers. The fact that they send a thank you note, should never influence the HM one way or the other. There are so many other factors in play, in selecting the best candidate. Waiting around to see who sent a thank you note, is not done by the real professional HM. In my career in the corporate world, I interviewed and hired a lot of people. You will have known when you were interviewing the best candidate. You would have known, as one would have stood out above all the others.

Quote:
My husband recently went to a job interview in a suit and tie, and the interviewers commented that they felt it was unnecessary for him to dress this way. They told him he should dressed more casual, because that is how they all dress (its a start up company with lots of younger employees). Now he feels self conscious as though he did something wrong by wearing a suit.
Your husband did the right thing wearing the suit. There are very few companies, such as this start up that would say something like this, to show that they are a different company from all the others. That they are a bunch of kids, with kid ideas and want everyone to know it. Wearing the suit, is expected by all but the most radical ones such as the ones that interviewed your husband. Keep wearing the suit, and 99.9% of the time he would have made the right choice.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:51 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,757,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeHanson44 View Post
Agreed-I never leave an interview without the full name and contact info of the person who interviewed me and I always send a follow up thank you note. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by showing courtesy and thanking someone for their time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
mkpunk, as the interview is wrapping up, ask for a card. If they don't have one, just ask, "May I have your full name and email address?"

Having said that, the best time to get the full name, title, and phone number is when you're setting up the interview. This way, if there's a traffic jam or something delaying your commute, you can make a courtesy call. And if they don't have a card to give you, the only thing you need to ask for is their email address.
Quote:
Try this simple request: "Do you have a business card? That way, I have your correct information." And if they don't have one to give (Which is pretty rare), then simply take thirty seconds to write it down.
And what if it's company policy to not provide applicants/interviewees with business cards and/or contact info for the people who interviewed them?

I no longer provide my card or email address because too many former interviewees have either handed it out to every single one of their job-seeking friends (thus spamming me with unsolicited resumes and cold-calls) or have used my contact info to barrage me with harassing emails & phone calks demanding to know why they were not hired.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:40 PM

659 posts, read 943,161 times
I have an issue with this thread.

Some number of years ago I interviewed at several companies, I thought I was pretty great on paper judging from the hiring manager's impressed look when they saw my resume. Unfortunately, at the time my hearing aids were dying so I had trouble hearing the interviewers. I didn't have money to afford new ones (they cost $3000+ out of my own pocket), so I would come into interviews struggling to hear the interviewer and reading their lips with such laser focus I was afraid my eyes would be stuck glued to their mouth LOL

Time and time again, MOST interviewers mumbled, or talked too fast that their words were on top of the other. I've asked nicely and politely to please speak up or slow down or talk more clearly, and almost all of them wouldn't budge. I've felt helpless when I was asked a question and only understood 60% to 80% of it because the rest of their words were an unintelligible mess. I've had to guess at what they said. Sometimes I'd be lucky and get the answers right, and sometimes I would totally miss it.

And no, I refuse to let them know I was hearing impaired. It took SEVERAL interviews before I realized that as soon as I opened my mouth and told potential employers I'm hard of hearing, they'd already disqualify me but will interview me out of politeness and then chuck my resume in the trash when I leave. Hiding my hearing impairedness from interviewers gave me a much better chance at getting the job than being honest about it. I usually tell them after I get the job offer that I have issues with hearing, and at that point the bosses take it in stride and be okay with it.

There is a stigma going around that the deaf and hard of hearing community experience in interviews and in society, sadly society thinks that if you cannot hear well you are stupid or simply not paying attention, and as such, they consider it a waste of time to talk with you. I've lost SO many job opportunities and offers (past the 2nd interview) because I was not able to hear the person the FIRST TIME HE ASKED ME A QUESTION. One woman even went so far as to say that she did not hire me because she thought I wasn't paying attention during the interview. Another man, absolutely refused to let me finish my application (he interviewed me without my finished application), every time he asked a question and if I even stumbled for 4 seconds on that question, he'd cut me off and move on to the next question. With this guy, he KNEW that I was hearing impaired and that I'd have a hard time understanding his thick, milers per second accent. Friends and family all told me I should have sued him under the ADA, but he was a waste of time for me.

Thing is, like someone said earlier, you can do everything right and still somehow rub the interviewer the wrong way and have them refuse to hire you. It's just the way the world works.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,646,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
I have an issue with this thread.

Some number of years ago I interviewed at several companies, I thought I was pretty great on paper judging from the hiring manager's impressed look when they saw my resume. Unfortunately, at the time my hearing aids were dying so I had trouble hearing the interviewers. I didn't have money to afford new ones (they cost $3000+ out of my own pocket), so I would come into interviews struggling to hear the interviewer and reading their lips with such laser focus I was afraid my eyes would be stuck glued to their mouth LOL

Time and time again, MOST interviewers mumbled, or talked too fast that their words were on top of the other. I've asked nicely and politely to please speak up or slow down or talk more clearly, and almost all of them wouldn't budge. I've felt helpless when I was asked a question and only understood 60% to 80% of it because the rest of their words were an unintelligible mess. I've had to guess at what they said. Sometimes I'd be lucky and get the answers right, and sometimes I would totally miss it.

And no, I refuse to let them know I was hearing impaired. It took SEVERAL interviews before I realized that as soon as I opened my mouth and told potential employers I'm hard of hearing, they'd already disqualify me but will interview me out of politeness and then chuck my resume in the trash when I leave. Hiding my hearing impairedness from interviewers gave me a much better chance at getting the job than being honest about it. I usually tell them after I get the job offer that I have issues with hearing, and at that point the bosses take it in stride and be okay with it.

There is a stigma going around that the deaf and hard of hearing community experience in interviews and in society, sadly society thinks that if you cannot hear well you are stupid or simply not paying attention, and as such, they consider it a waste of time to talk with you. I've lost SO many job opportunities and offers (past the 2nd interview) because I was not able to hear the person the FIRST TIME HE ASKED ME A QUESTION. One woman even went so far as to say that she did not hire me because she thought I wasn't paying attention during the interview. Another man, absolutely refused to let me finish my application (he interviewed me without my finished application), every time he asked a question and if I even stumbled for 4 seconds on that question, he'd cut me off and move on to the next question. With this guy, he KNEW that I was hearing impaired and that I'd have a hard time understanding his thick, milers per second accent. Friends and family all told me I should have sued him under the ADA, but he was a waste of time for me.

Thing is, like someone said earlier, you can do everything right and still somehow rub the interviewer the wrong way and have them refuse to hire you. It's just the way the world works.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment