Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 PM

701 posts, read 1,100,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
- Had no résumé
I don't know if someone already asked this, but why in the world would you interview someone who had no résumé?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 889,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Uh huh.

Your lack of attention to detail vis-à-vis the quality of your written English makes it hard for me to take you seriously, especially when you say stuff like "spew the detritus."

I bolded just a few of the items that require more attention to detail.

ohio-peasant's dismal English surprised me too, esp. since it sounds like he works for a university. In such an environment, writing well is expected. May be s/he's not a native English speaker.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,012,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
BTW I agree a thank you email is appropriate, but that's it, no calls or anything. I always send a thank you email if I can get their card or email from them. So far of the 6 candidates I interviewed, only 2 had copies of their resume, none have sent a thank you email.
I think a thank you e-mail at a minimum is important. It's an extra flourish.

As for resumes, it doesn't hurt, but in today's environment where everything is submitted electronically it seems to be unusual for an interviewer to not already have it. To be honest, in the role of someone interviewing for a job, if the interviewer hasn't already reviewed the resume and doesn't have it on hand I would be concerned about how they view the role. What interviewer walks into an interview and says, OK, hand me your resume? They should have it already and have reviewed it at least casually. The only situations I can think of where this type of situation would be acceptable is where one fills out an application and interviews on the spot, like in fast food.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I don't know if someone already asked this, but why in the world would you interview someone who had no résumé?
They mean on hand at the interview.

Since nobody hands out paper resumes anymore and everything is sent electronically, I can't think of a reason for an interviewer to not have the resume already. To demand a copy of something you already have and _someone_ should have reviewed in order to qualify the person for an interview, for the interviewer to not have it on hand seems really lazy, in my opinion.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Uh huh.

Your lack of attention to detail vis-à-vis the quality of your written English makes it hard for me to take you seriously, especially when you say stuff like "spew the detritus."

Seemed as well written as most forum posts written by people wasting their time on what is essentially a hobby. That includes you.

I don't see what is so preposterous about being unconcerned about the physical appearance or personality of someone who does not interact with clients or with other departments. Those are essentially unnecessary skills in some roles. Is the work done and on time? There you go.

Although I followed along with his post until the part about playing chess for three hours. Short of interviewing someone for a chess instructor role that is one of the most stupid interview procedures I have ever heard. Assuming he seriously does that, that is.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:47 PM

13,730 posts, read 9,825,060 times
Quote:
Uh huh.

"bolded" is not a verb, my grammarian friends!

But take heart - I much enjoy the humor. I'd hire such jesters on the spot, merely for their inordinate capacity to amuse.

It's also worth nothing is that non-native speakers of English tend to have a larger active vocabulary, more accurate grammar and more sophisticated style. Such are the fruits of American anti-intellectualism, and of a society that values daily showering above daily reading. But that's a topic for another day.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:55 PM

701 posts, read 1,100,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
They mean on hand at the interview.

Since nobody hands out paper resumes anymore and everything is sent electronically, I can't think of a reason for an interviewer to not have the resume already. To demand a copy of something you already have and _someone_ should have reviewed in order to qualify the person for an interview, for the interviewer to not have it on hand seems really lazy, in my opinion.
Alright, that's fair I guess, but still, I have interviewed people once, and admittedly only once. I have absolutely, positively zero experience being HR or Management, but I did have every single resume printed out way, way ahead of time and arranged in chronological order of the interviews, and I had my own notes jotted down on every single resume. If you are interviewing people for a position, and you do not : 1) reject those who don't even have a resume 2) adequately prepare for your interviews, such that you will require the candidate to produce a paper resume on the spot, then you have no business interviewing people.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,425,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
"bolded" is not a verb, my grammarian friends!

But take heart - I much enjoy the humor. I'd hire such jesters on the spot, merely for their inordinate capacity to amuse.

It's also worth nothing is that non-native speakers of English tend to have a larger active vocabulary, more accurate grammar and more sophisticated style. Such are the fruits of American anti-intellectualism, and of a society that values daily showering above daily reading. But that's a topic for another day.
Uh-huh. I spent most of my adult life (so far) living overseas. I speak several languages fluently, and English is not my first language despite the fact that I was born in the United States. When I walk into my parents' house, I don't hear English again until I leave.

So...you can stop with all that.

Oh, and I'm calling BS on the whole chess thing. Someone would have to want a job really badly to sit there and play chess with someone so condescending for three brain-mashingingly boring hours. I can play chess for that long, but only with someone who has interesting things to say.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,672,823 times
one possibility is that its all a matter of how you present yourself. the other possibility is if you look, act, talk and dress like a lazy, uncouth slob, maybe you are one.
too many people want you to see through their outside appearance to the wonderful person that is within. that is mommy's job not HR.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 PM

11,024 posts, read 7,902,443 times
A question for the OP:

The thank you note/email is nearly meaningless but is an accepted convention so if you think this is a decision maker I suppose that's your prerogative; I'd much prefer using a more telling tie-breaker. The thank you is one side of a two way street with the other side being the decision notification to the applicant. Do you believe it is necessary to notify those who have applied if they are hired, under consideration or rejected at any time in the hiring process or are you a proponent of only contacting those hired or from whom further action is needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment