Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM

285 posts, read 1,207,647 times

Advertisements

I know I should be thankful and I am, I worked at a grocery store for about 2 1/2 years still there as a part time cashier part time and the small business had to close all the stores but 1 thankfully they transferred me to the only store. Now 7 months had went in and now I only work 1 day a week and only for 4 to 5 hours! So my check is under $100! At the original store I worked 3 days a week, 7-8 hours a day and had a paycheck bi weekly of $350. Pretty much 700 a month Ive said this before!

With the job at the grocery store, I have contacted my ex coworker from another store, her job that she works at (janitorial) was hiring, so she pretty much gotten me the job. I am thankful for another job! However, her boyfriend just recently (yesterday) left because he needed more hours than he was getting, and so now he has found another job that is a 8am-5pm, 5 days a week and now he has left the one his girlfriend and I work at now.

I started pretty much last week and now Im in charge with 2 accounts, however I thought I would be having 5-6 hours at a account or have multiple accounts, but I just had 2 accounts, one takes about 4 hours and then a car dealership I partnered with somebody and it took 2 hours I thought it would be 5-6 hours! So pretty much my paycheck isn't going to be enough.

The thing of it is my rent is $550 a month

But just today my new manager called and told me that I will have other accounts and pretty much I will be working evenings 5 days in a week. So with the 2 jobs I have right now, I will be off only on Tuesdays and Fridays!

There is a grocery store called Sprouts which is getting popular and they are building one right now and they will open in September. I would really like to apply and work at Sprouts than to be cleaning! Also I can arrange a schedule that I would like to work at which would be 4 days a week and be off for 3 days saving up! I really didnt know about Sprouts until recently and now I really want to apply.

However the new manager has me as a team leader at the janitor business for one building! To be honest Im not really much of a leader and I don't think I can handle that responsibility because im the type that doesn't like telling people what to do. Not to mention Im a floater too so I will be going and cleaning different building instead of the same one I told him I would do it but I really didnt want to I would rather have a route that is a routine, but I said I would do it because I needed the job.

I really want to find a different job, I would rather be a cashier at a grocery store or if not that a receptionist and data clerk at an office. This janitorial isn't what I thought it would be! Even though I have more accounts my manager said that it would take 2 or 3 hours. So I don't even think still I would make it $550 a month. Im not sure how much I will earn per hour believe it or not, but its either $8 or $10 per hour! I will know on my next paycheck.

I personally would rather be at a job for 3-5 days and have 1 job than 2 jobs!

What would you do? I know that at the end of the day I can do whatever I want and it would be my choice! BUT
Is it wrong that I want to apply at another job, even though one of my coworker/friend got me a job? Also the fact I just started last week! I really want to work for Sprouts though, but I would feel guilty doing this though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 04:43 PM

820 posts, read 1,211,515 times
I would go to a warehouse or any real manual labor, and get a full-time job. Do not waste time with retail, and part time. Its just a complete waste of effort that could otherwise be useful. If your really going to stick with part time gigs then baby sit or work at a bar, you will make a lot more than your making.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM

I plan on going back to school for next semester though! Im probably going to have to move back in with my parents place too!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:06 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,728,103 times
Apply for the job you want and quit the janitorial job when you are hired, but in the meantime until you get another job keep working at whatever you can to earn a living.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:46 AM

@Squirl hypothetically speaking what if I do if I get hired at Sprouts? What will I say to my new manager?

Also Im applying for the Sprouts job right now what should I put in for my days availability? Should I just pretend that I dont have another job and fill in the spots that im available/want to work?

Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 AM

12,989 posts, read 9,708,363 times
Are you guaranteed on getting the job at the new grocery store? If getting a job there is a sure thing, then just stay where you are until the place is ready to open. Just give your proper two weeks notice and thank the people again for giving you that opportunity.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,190,433 times
Do what is in YOUR best interest. There's nothing to feel guilty about.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,734,221 times
I wouldn't have moved out making 700 a month, so I would move back in. I make finishing school my priority. Live on campus, take out student loans, whatever it takes. Then I would find a for real job instead wasting my time with BS part time jobs.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:22 PM

@ipaper

No its not guaranteed! I applied today though online! IDK if I got it or not! The application online was nice and easy, however I had to do a quiz in 10 mins and then a personality type of test assessment where it says(Strongly Agree, Disagree Neutral etc) I tried my best! I hate those test because they aren't really fair at all. I did what was know, and for those test you get it an interview most likey when you answer the strongly disagree or strongly agree! At the end of that they had a sign that says we will contact you if everything goes well.

If I dont get the job Im still going to keep looking for one!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,145,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I plan on going back to school for next semester though! Im probably going to have to move back in with my parents place too!
Are you still trying to complete your GED/HS diploma? Many employers require a HS diploma, before they consider you. It be much easier, once you get that done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment