Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,004,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
A little more background that might help explain the "focus". Our Company does recruiting almost exclusively on college campuses. The process involves summer leadership programs, on campus job fairs, dinners, and fun activities like bowling. After all of these events you really just need one person to vouch for you to get invited to interview (and a 3.0 gpa in a specific major). Unless you are in the top 1% of prospects, you also need to do a paid spring internship. That rules out most people serious about college athletics. I don't see any diversity at the campus level so its impossible to get diverse interviewees.

Also, most of the recruiting is done by people under 35. I don't think our generation really has strong biases against hiring a diverse workforce, it just isn't available. I just think that our Company should treat everyone without regard to skin color and focus on getting the best students, not on diversity.
For example, your company could make an effort to recruit at black colleges (they happen to be really diverse these days). Or put a few phone calls into the black student union, asian student union, latino student union etc...whatever the school has. For all you know, 3.0 students could be floating around and had no idea you were recruiting on campus. Or you could reach out to the appropriate sorority and fraternity organizations. It isn't that hard if you make a bit more effort. You can just look at marketing these events differently. Instead of focusing only on the groups in a particular major, find the groups that attract people from all kinds of majors and a diverse background.

You can also do mixers, meet up groups etc. I work in tech, and I know of a special meet up group with every ethnicity. In fact, those meet ups are pretty diverse too. One local tech company sponsors/hosts the events and invites their recruiters to speak. Boom, instant diverse candidates that are dedicated enough to do professional development outside of work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 04:44 PM

268 posts, read 345,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
So basically, your HR Director has very poor communication skills.

What they're really trying to get across is that the companies wants to hire more minorities (likely to meet an EEOC/affirmative action quota) without actually letting the applicants know that you're hiring them because of their race/ethnicity by asking them race/ethnicity-related questions, to avoid discrimination lawsuits.

Either way, I wouldn't want to work for this type of company knowing this crap was going on (as a minority myself). It's not technically illegal, but it is a poor business practice.

ok why did we end up with eeo? jim crow is why stop talking crazy here.jim crow was still the law of the land 50 years ago in employment and did not really start to go away until the 80's.but there are still racists in hiring positions and you know it

Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The government doesn't impose quotas by law, that's correct.

But employers can disguise them as "goals" within the organization.
so you tell folks to not commit crime, go to school then blackball them after they graduate from college is what you mean

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,467,739 times
How do you reach out to minorities? Don't they look at the same job listing sites as everyone else?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A goal is not a quota, a company cannot discriminate base on achieving a goal. A company can still be hit with a discrimination finding if they discriminated against other groups in pursuit of a goal for a specific group.

But, the BS thing about goals is they are only set for non-whites and women, whites and males do not get goals, the gov does not mandate any company to set goals for whites and males. Yea, that is gov sponsored discrimination.

you got to be kidding me!!!!!you did not learn any history in school, go read about jim crow and the black codes.state and federal racism was law in this country against blacks just 50 yrs ago

Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
you got to be kidding me!!!!!you did not learn any history in school, go read about jim crow and the black codes.state and federal racism was law in this country against blacks just 50 yrs ago
What does your post and history have to do with anything I stated?

Are you implying only whites can discriminate? DO I need to bring up successful lawsuit after lawsuit showing whites and makes that have been discriminated against?

Are you implying there are no areas in the US where whites are the minority?

Are you implying there are no companies in the US where whites are the minority of employees?

Please elaborate what your post has to do with goals, and the fact goals are only mandated to be set for females and minorities? Did you know that in setting these goals, many minority groups are overlooked because there is discrimination against and among individual minority groups? So these goals are actually counter productive in increasing a diversified workforce because the gov is only going to look at "minorities", not the fact that Hispanics are discriminating against other minority groups by hiring Hispanics only. The gov would have to invest much more resources into investigating that disparate impact/treatment, in which the prima facie of it would most likely encourage the investigator to pass it up.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,518,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
A goal is not a quota, a company cannot discriminate base on achieving a goal. A company can still be hit with a discrimination finding if they discriminated against other groups in pursuit of a goal for a specific group.

But, the BS thing about goals is they are only set for non-whites and women, whites and males do not get goals, the gov does not mandate any company to set goals for whites and males. Yea, that is gov sponsored discrimination.
This is not true. Some historically black colleges have been forced to recruit white people.

Welcoming diversity does not clash with prohibiting discrimination. A lot of the time, the lack of diversity comes from discrimination. This has been proven in studies showing that employers discriminate against "black-sounding" names.

Affirmative Action does not set hiring quotas; it sets recruiting goals. Hiring quotas are illegal unless they are set by the government to correct proven discrimination within an organization.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
This is not true. Some historically black colleges have been forced to recruit white people.
I was implying within the context of goals. There are no goals mandated by any where in the CFR for males and whites.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,546,582 times
White male military veterans and white women have benefited greatly from affirmative action - likely white women more than anyone.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,414,713 times
Ugh I hate it when "diversity" is discussed in terms of race only.

So, I as a white woman would be a less desirable candidate for an IT job than an Indian man with identical skills even though women are sorely underrepresented in IT?

Total crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment