Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,697,279 times

Advertisements

You should look into becoming a sales engineer who usually does a lot of traveling. When a company buys software, the sales engineers are the ones who go on site and make sure everything is set up properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,010,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano33 View Post
I appreciate your feedback, although that is definitely NOT what i want to hear. And honestly, I do not want to work for a direct tv or timewarner as a general technician (no offense to anyone that holds that position). So there's no such thing as an IT consultant that gets to travel and work with tangible devices? Again, i'm not saying i don't want to sit at a desk all im saying is I want a job that includes at least SOME mobility.
The people i this thread are giving you reality. Do you like Macs? Maybe you can be an Apple Genius. The pay is actually decent but not stellar.

If you don't want to be chained to your desk try teaching. You can actually teach people how to use software as well, if there is a specific app you are good at. I spent 25% of my time a few jobs ago in a classroom setting teaching people how to use marketing software. The full-time teachers traveled to clients as well.

But if you think IT will be helping people plug in their mouses, you are mistaken.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
You should look into becoming a sales engineer who usually does a lot of traveling. When a company buys software, the sales engineers are the ones who go on site and make sure everything is set up properly.
There is a lot of desk and phone time in that role too. This person is also responsible for as siting the sales reps during the sales process.

Usually there is an implementation engineer that does the setup stuff. The Sales engineer might do demos on site during the sales process, but the actual setup after purchase is handled by customer success.

Last edited by jade408; 08-19-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM

376 posts, read 491,933 times
Its tough to break in. You'd better be sure that you are committed and driven. And be prepared to put your time in at the entry level, bearing in mind that 80% of your colleagues probably won't advance. IT does have its incompetents and some people who lucked into their roles, but overall its pretty ruthlessly meritocratic.

But its possible. I started at the bottom and have worked my way up to a senior role.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:22 PM

46 posts, read 59,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The people i this thread are giving you reality. Do you like Macs? Maybe you can be an Apple Genius. The pay is actually decent but not stellar.

If you don't want to be chained to your desk try teaching. You can actually teach people how to use software as well, if there is a specific app you are good at. I spent 25% of my time a few jobs ago in a classroom setting teaching people how to use marketing software. The full-time teachers traveled to clients as well.

But if you think IT will be helping people plug in their mouses, you are mistaken.
What was the title/role you had so i can research further? And yes, love macs.

Last edited by Deano33; 08-19-2014 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
What was the title/role you had so i can research further? And yes, love macs.
I worked as a consultant. But software that sells to businesses that is sort of complicated generally has instructor positions. Like so:
software trainer
technical trainer
instructor

Software Trainer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

The pay is better for specific applications. Word, Excel and so on are low end apps lots of people use. If your industry has a really common app in use, being a teacher for that one can be lucrative (captive audience).

Old 08-20-2014, 11:33 PM

46 posts, read 59,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I worked as a consultant. But software that sells to businesses that is sort of complicated generally has instructor positions. Like so:
software trainer
technical trainer
instructor

Software Trainer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

The pay is better for specific applications. Word, Excel and so on are low end apps lots of people use. If your industry has a really common app in use, being a teacher for that one can be lucrative (captive audience).
Thank you, i appreciate your help. will search those jobs

Old 08-23-2014, 04:43 AM

788 posts, read 1,252,362 times
Quote:
Thanks for the super-negative post/feedback... you sound like one of these basic 'robots' i referred too anyways..
After reading this comment, NO you would NOT enjoy an IT job. After all, they're just robots. Perhaps working with real robots is more to your calling, because they will not give you a comment that will open your eyes to what working in IT is really like.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,299,970 times
Trying to find an IT job that doesn't involve sitting at a desk is like trying to find a sanitation job where you don't have to handle garbage.

For the record, I am in Desktop Support, but even I spend about 30-40% of my day at my desk responding to emails, doing remote calls, logging inventory, filling out paperwork, etc.. It's just the nature of the game.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:35 PM

23,746 posts, read 24,311,064 times
IT field service, field marketing, field sales, etc

All of these jobs have travel and a non-standard schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment