Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,199 times

Advertisements

Before I start I just want to say Im thankful for having a job but things have to change for my 2nd job!

Okay I currently have 2 jobs, my first job is a part time cashier at a grocery store, and the 2nd job that I recently got is in a janitorial company part time.

At the janitorial company, I worked with one of my supervisors last week, and she told me that there is a new person coming to work for the company, and my supervisor told me that she will work weekends, and on mondays after 3pm! So on mondays I am in charge of the team clean crew, and one week we did a morning cleaning and I liked it everybody liked it because it was a 4 hour clean and we would start at 10am and end a little after 2pm and that we could still have our day. However the new employee cant do the cleaning until after 3pm. Everybody in the group can work anytime, myself included BUT we prefer to have a morning, but we had did 3pm today! So I thought about it and for the new girl that can give a demand that on what time of day she can do, well I want to really have a schedule that I want. I work Mondays Wednesdays Thursdays and Saturdays in total I have 8 accounts to clean. 2 on Saturdays and I dont want to do them, and nobody else wanted to do them, and I felt kind of force to do it, even though at the interview I said that Im available on Saturdays. I really dont want to work on those days, but I opened myself so I could get a 2nd job quickly because I found out that I have to pay a $550 rent a month.

So I had the idea for me to tell a little white lie to get me off on Saturdays. At my grocery store job one of my coworkers is really going to college and she will be in a dorm and so she will be going away and she wont be able to work on Saturdays anymore. That gave me the opportunity to execute to use this as in excuse to not work at the 2 accounts on Saturday to clean for the janitorial company.
So I told one of my janitorial supervisor and she said that she will talk to the manager so I said okay.

So my janitorial manager called me and wanted to know what is going on! I told him that my coworker is leaving for college (which she is) and she will no longer be working on Saturdays (which is true as well). However, I told my janitorial manager that my food store manager at the food store needs me to fill in for her on saturdays, and that I can no longer work at the warehouse (car dealership) and another account on Saturdays. My coworker at the grocery store, I told my janitorial manager that she will be leaving the weekend before Labor day (which again is a fib)! Technically she is already gone and in college now!
However I told my janitorial manager that I can work this coming Saturday so it wont be too last minute really.

#1 For one thing I dont want to work on Saturdays anymore just like how a lot of people dont want to work on a saturday, not to mention I already work on a Sunday too at my 1st job!

#2 I found out that I will be working at the 2 story car dealership which I will be all by myself and I honestly really dont feel comfortable working there, not to mention I honestly didnt sign up to work by myself at the car dealership.

#3 The rest of the employees dont want to work there either, that is also what I found out too
Not to mention one of my former coworker that got me this job and she told me that the car dealership is awful and that she tried to get out of it she said that when her mom use to work her mother would go to take her place from time to time. My coworker/friend boyfriend worked there and I assumed I took his place because he got another job because it paid more.

#4 The car dealership is the dirtiest on Saturdays which I didnt know at the time, I was kind of mad when I found that out.

So my janitorial manager tells me that he doesnt understand my story, and doesnt understand why he is giving me all the hours that I want and the "flexibility" and that I would choose to work at the food store when they are only giving me only 1 day a week to work (which is true). Which I could understand! However right after he said that, he contradicted himself saying that the only reason why he hired me was to work on Saturdays at the car dealership. I told him that I'm working Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays and that I have those days 5 accounts (places in total to clean), and that I just need Saturday off!

To reason with him even though I dont want to work at the car dealership I even offered him that I will work on another day (since the dealership gets cleaned 7 days a week). He had a problem with that!

So he went on and on and then he eventually said which one are you going to do to work, and I asked him "on Saturdays or in general on working at both?" , he said in general ( I was shocked) he basically told me to choose which side I'm on and my loyalty lies. I was thinking inside my head like "Oh my God are you serious?" "What part of I dont have a choice dont you understand?"

So he asked me what time does the food store close on saturday, I said 7, and he said that the car dealership closes at 7 and that I can work after that, I just told him that Im going to be late getting there, and Im going to be tired and that would be a 12+ day, (cleaning the dealership alone will take 4 maybe 5 and he pretty much says that until he finds another person to do it that I will be doing it, and he said that it sounds fair, I was speechless! Then he was like I feel so disappointed and sad.

Ive only been working at this janitorial place for 3 weeks now and the manager had the nerve to ask me to choose sides?! Ive been working at my 1st job (the grocery store) for 2 1/2 years! Never had a manager say that to me.

One of my janitorial supervisors told me that he is just trying to be a sales person and trying to persuade you, but she wasnt on the phone call to hear his voice. She told me at the car dealership you get paid $10 an hour! I was confused

To add another thing the janitorial manager on the phone told me the pay that Im working on Mondays at the church will be paying me $9 an hour, and at the interview he told me that regular janitors have like $8 an hour and floaters (the people that drive around from 1 account to the next get 10 an hour)! I told him that I would do the floater because 10 an hour sound good!
I dont even know how much im getting paid per hour to be honest with you! My first paycheck was $99.86 all that work that I cleaned and I get that now taxes and the 15 background check fee was deducted from my first paycheck so my paycheck was probably $114 but still that much I added my hours and it sounded right! Im not getting reemburst for gas for traveling to my accounts.

Im honestly not feeling this job anymore!

I know on my part is VERY childish and immature that I told a half truth half lie story, but here is the thing I AM SOOOOO SICK of pleasing people and showing them my smile and being nice, I want to do what I want to do for once and I dont want to work on Saturdays. To be honest I really want to work at a different job.
I was thinking this last week however I was feeling guilty of me looking for another job while im working for this one and the fact that one of my former co workers got me this job.
After what my manager had said to me I dont care if I get fired, I really want to quit.

I just find it really immature that my manager who is almost twice my age, basically told me to choose WHO DOES THAT? If he was around my age (23) then I could see that to but this guy is like in his 50s!

Not to mention I really planned on being there towards the end of the year because I plan on starting school next semester full time! So I guess he is going to be disappointed in me like he said.

I told my manager at the grocery store a little bit about this and he called me and he told me that he was confused a little when I told what I said to my other manager not everything but some, but I will see him next Sunday. I feel comfortable talking to my managers at the grocery store, they know how I am , I know when I can clown around, and I know when work needs to be done seriously, and I told them that I don't want to work on Saturdays and they had done what I said not to mention there is a coworker there who I just don't get along with so Ive been working on a day where she wasn't there.

But to say this my grocery store manager told me that they hired a person and he told me that the new girl is going for training however my manager told me that he doesn't know if she is going to even like it, and I wonder what if my manager does put me on Saturday for temporary then. My half truth half lie would be the total truth! lol

I told my grocery store manager that I really didnt want to work for the janitorial business anymore and I told him that I really want to send my 2 weeks notice in a few months however he told me not to do that.
I dont know any other way to I really dont want to just up and leave without any notice especially if one of my former coworkers/ friend got me the job not to mention Im friends with her on facebook. I texted her about my half truth half lie story and she seemed a little unhappy, however thats how I translated it.

Ive learn to follow my intuition and just had been honest from the get go and be honest!
Im not going to blame my dad even though he told me to make myself available on the weekends to make it look good and that I would get a job I did get the job but Im just learning to be more upfront and not be a people pleaser

What would you do if you were in my position and would want out of this job soon?

Im currently re doing my resume and plan on applying to other jobs, my coworkers including my managers at my grocery store job think that I would be a good receptionist and I could myself doing that job and that is something I know that I can do and work at an office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:52 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
What a childish rant. They cannot, just change the schedule around if you don't want to work on Saturday. They hired you, to fill a position which includes Saturday. They need that position filled. You either work the hours the company you work for needs you and hired you for, or quit.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:37 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
You have to make rent. Your manager has clients that want their businesses cleaned.

When you interviewed with the cleaning company, you said you could work Saturday. Now you have changed your mind.

The truth is ... almost nobody wants to work, and NOBODY wants to work Saturdays.

But you said you would. And now you are changing what you said.

He is forcing you to choose? He is forcing you to abide by what you said when they hired you. Who does that?? Bosses do!!

When the rent is due, you will know what to do.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:33 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
If you don't want to work on Saturday, find another job! It was foolish to lie about your other job to try to get out of this one. What if your boss somehow knows the other manager? You need to stick with that job and be upfront with your employers. If you want to change your schedule in the future, find out the company's policy. Try not to play games with your employers. They hired you to do what they need you to do.

That said, though, there are positions that don't require you to work on Saturday. Check the want ads or Craigslist. You could also train for a new career via community college or vocational school. Skilled trades provide more options to their employees.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:37 AM

154 posts, read 308,036 times
Quote:
I know on my part is VERY childish and immature that I told a half truth half lie story, but here is the thing I AM SOOOOO SICK of pleasing people and showing them my smile and being nice, I want to do what I want to do for once and I dont want to work on Saturdays. To be honest I really want to work at a different job.
You're 23, you've decided you'd rather live on your own than take the advice given to you here over and over and over and over and over again and go back to school, so this is what your life is going to be like for the next 50+ years. You don't have any marketable skills, so your ability to earn money and make rent is going to depend on you smiling and working days that other people don't want to work. Those are the only two factors you can sell to potential employers.

Want to have more options? Go back to school, heck even go through a 1- or 2-year technical program (HVAC, LPN, MA, whatever) and you'll have a little more marketability and therefore better leverage to get a decent schedule, or at least make more money without working 2 part time jobs.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
I didn't even read the first sentence. Your post is way too long. I'll wait for the movie or executive summary.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
If you can write such a long post, I am sure that you can obtain better paying gainful employment that can cover that $550 a month in rent.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Your post is filled with "I don't really want to do this" statements about both jobs. Don't be surprised if you're let go by both companies. You're not being responsible in any sense of the word by saying you can do A, B and C in order to get the job, and then deciding later you don't really want to do those things after all.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:31 PM

@ M Powering1 Not true I dont care about my 2nd job as the janitorial job, however with my 1st job at the grocery store is alright I like most of my coworkers and Ive been working for them for over 2 years now.

My janitorial manager was saying how he is confused which I dont really understand of the half lie half truth story I gave him. I am however confused about the facts about this janitorial job Ive been working there for 3 weeks How come I still dont know how much Im getting paid per hour? Why is even the manager saying that he doesnt know how much Im getting paid when he and his wife are in charge of the payroll? Why is it a problem for me wanting to not have work on a certain day, when he said that he is willing to give me hours and a flexible days? Why is he giving me such grief to work on saturdays when again he says that he is "flexible"? Not to mention he just have other new employees

Another example is that I team clean on mondays like I said, there is a girl who works with me, she has been working there 3 months before me and yet he made me a team leader, when truly I believe the girl should be the leader since she worked there longer than me! Not to mention didnt even look at my application for me having experience of being a team leader which I have no experience.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM

@oldtrader Im glad you can read I know what I did was childish ive already acknowledge that in my situation

@kmb501 Ive know that what I did was wrong and learned of what I shouldve done from the beginning instead of lying from the start about my schedule however at the time I needed the job and would do anything.
What was foul is the stuff I found out that everybody knew that I didnt and which my manager knew as well!

When I told my dad about this, he said that my boss sounded like an ass, but he told me not to burn my bridges which I totally agree with because arguing and being ugly isnt my in my character. Not to mention again I plan on going to school next semester so whats really not getting me nervous is that my janitorial manager wouldve been disappointed anyways.

So I am looking for another job right now and Im just going to suck it up until I get another job, and when I get another job send my 2 weeks notice and leave graciously! Because I want to be gracious but im also not putting up with people crap anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment