Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,000,794 times

Advertisements

Would you accept a pay cut to relocate back to your home turf? Especially if you were unhappy with your current location and the actual work environment?

I moved to Chicago about a year ago, and let's just say it hasn't been the best decision I've made. I've been contemplating moving back to NJ ever since I moved here for many reasons.

The only thing is this will be a $16K salary cut. My SO who also lives in NJ tells me not to worry about it, since I'd eventually like to transition out of this field anyway, but I can't help thinking that is a big chunk of change.

Should I sacrifice my happiness and stay put while my SO and family both continue to live in NJ, or should I take the plunge and move back, continuing the search while at least being employed?

I know you probably figure why doesn't my SO move here, well he makes twice as much as I currently do and I don't think I'd be able to sustain both of us on my salary while he looks for employment here in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,509,848 times
I hear you about Chicago. Illinois is my home state and some day (possibly soon if things continue on the same path they have been) I may need to take a pay cut to leave my home state.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 4,000,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I hear you about Chicago. Illinois is my home state and some day (possibly soon if things continue on the same path they have been) I may need to take a pay cut to leave my home state.
Doesn't sound like a bad idea. But thank goodness you have your friends and family close by.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM

6,490 posts, read 7,858,827 times
I would absolutely make the move - no question. 16k isn't worth a miserable life, no way. Is what you're sacrificing everyday (family, friends, an overall better existence) worth it?

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:52 PM

403 posts, read 685,290 times
It would depend on the percentage of the cut but, in general, I absolutely would right now. Good bye Texas - hello Washington, again - some day. Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,208,240 times
16k could be very subjective. A cut from 40k to 24k would be massive but a cut from 200k to 184k not as bad. It depends more on the cost of living more than "16k". Most of northern and central NJ could be expensive but so is Chicago if you live in or close to downtown. Chicago suburbs are inexpensive but so is south NJ.

And far more important would be the peace of mind you can buy with 16k.

I have moved across the country a lot in the early days of my career, about 10 times over 5 states so my 2 cents - try to understand if it is the job or the city or something else that is making you feel misearble? Changing the job might be easier than moving across the state/country. Would moving across the state change the factors and make you happy? Think about it first before you make any decision.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 PM

35,282 posts, read 31,645,453 times
I actually did the 40k to 24k pay cut to move back home. It was the worst decision I've ever made. I did eventually have to leave again because there is no money to be made in the South.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,349,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Doesn't sound like a bad idea. But thank goodness you have your friends and family close by.
I think the point is to be as 'happy' (read: content) in ones life as is possible and if that means one returns back to their home state, at the very least you are surrounded by people you love and who love you as well. These are important things that cannot be quantified by money...in my view.

Friends and family, for me, was exactly the reason I made a return move back to my home state; without a job no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would absolutely make the move - no question. 16k isn't worth a miserable life, no way. Is what you're sacrificing everyday (family, friends, an overall better existence) worth it?

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
I agree with you 100%! Especially the difficult part..."whatever you decide."

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
It would depend on the percentage of the cut but, in general, I absolutely would right now. Good bye Texas - hello Washington, again - some day. Good luck to you.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,032,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
I would absolutely make the move - no question. 16k isn't worth a miserable life, no way. .

Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,779,346 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment