Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:25 PM

52 posts, read 59,565 times

Advertisements

I had to leave work due to medical reasons and was working part time with the promise of full time. I had been passed over a few times. I've been working there a few years and do my job well. Well I had to leave because of medical reasons, but got the all clear from my doctor to go back. So I asked for my job back, but they hired another person to take on my jobs and duties while I was away and they hired them for full time. They hired me back for part time, but how do I go about asking for full time position. That full time spot should be mine! I am also still working at a call center at home job. Should I keep that until this other position is full time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
You were working a part time job with the promise of full time, but they passed you over more than once over a three year period.

Due to a medical issue, you had to leave. Did you quit or take a leave of absence? This isn't clear.

The bottom line though, is if they initially said they would make you full time, and passed you over a few times, they had reasons for doing so.

If I were you, I would ask your manager what you need to do in order to be seriously considered for a full time position.

If you were on a leave of absence, the spot should be yours.

If you quit and they rehired you, no, that spot stopped being yours the day you turned in your notice.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
You can't reasonably expect them to hold a spot open for you while you are off on medical leave. Have a conversation with your boss and remind him or her that you were promised a full time and you would like to know what you need to do to make that happen. Maybe they have just been stringing you along since they have passed you over several times.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtraveler View Post
I had to leave work due to medical reasons and was working part time with the promise of full time. I had been passed over a few times. I've been working there a few years and do my job well. Well I had to leave because of medical reasons, but got the all clear from my doctor to go back. So I asked for my job back, but they hired another person to take on my jobs and duties while I was away and they hired them for full time. They hired me back for part time, but how do I go about asking for full time position. That full time spot should be mine! I am also still working at a call center at home job. Should I keep that until this other position is full time?
I would say all you can do is ask but without a written promise/contract I doubt you can do anything about the full time position being given to someone else.
Perhaps check with the Department of Labor or search to see if you can find something in regards to this issue.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You were working a part time job with the promise of full time, but they passed you over more than once over a three year period.

Due to a medical issue, you had to leave. Did you quit or take a leave of absence? This isn't clear.

The bottom line though, is if they initially said they would make you full time, and passed you over a few times, they had reasons for doing so.

If I were you, I would ask your manager what you need to do in order to be seriously considered for a full time position.

If you were on a leave of absence, the spot should be yours.

If you quit and they rehired you, no, that spot stopped being yours the day you turned in your notice.
It was a part time position. There's no paid medical leave for that. I took a month and a half off with the understanding that I would be coming back. And they told me directly when I come back, there might be a full time position open.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
It was a part time position. There's no paid medical leave for that. I took a month and a half off with the understanding that I would be coming back. And they told me directly when I come back, there might be a full time position open.

Okay, they said there might be a full time position open, and when you returned there wasn't.

They didn't promise you anything. If they wanted to bring you in full time, they would have. For some reason, a reason nobody here knows, they overlooked you for three years and finally did bring someone in to work full time.

All you can do now is ask for a frank conversation about that, find out why you were not given the opportunity to work full time, and make the improvements they feel you need.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:50 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
"Left work for medical reasons and another person has my job. How to get it back?"

You already got it back.
When you left (was it an official leave of absence?), you had a part time job; when you returned you got your part time job back.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
OP in your other thread you said you "lost your job". What were the exact circumstances of your leave? Were you on worker's comp, sick time, state short-term disability, what?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
OP in your other thread you said you "lost your job". What were the exact circumstances of your leave? Were you on worker's comp, sick time, state short-term disability, what?
I had to leave my job due to medical reasons. I don't get sick time since I'm not a full time employee. But they did rehire me, but not at the same exact hours. I was working more hours, but the new employee is working full time. That causes me to lose hours.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
1. And they told me directly when I come back, there might be a full time position open.

2. That full time spot should be mine!
1. There might have been but there now isn't.
2. No, it shouldn't.

You were given no guarantees either verbally or in writing. They've offered you another part time position and even that they're not obligated to do. Suggest you keep the call center job and, if you want to return to this company, see if you can maintain both jobs by adapting your call center job hours to those of the position being offered to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment