Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:30 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
maybe just me but shouldn't everyone own at least a pair of khakis, a button up shirt, and some decent shoes? heck, i'll be really controversial and say that i think everyone should own a suit, dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes. don't people go to weddings, funerals, ....court? lol.
I own one pair of khakis, but they aren't going to hold up if I have to wash them a few times a week. That also costs money. Depending on what you have to do in retail, it wouldn't exactly be hygienic to wear the same clothes repeatedly without washing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM

11,141 posts, read 9,776,705 times
I worked for various restaurants back in the day when restaurants were allowed to pay folks $1.35 an hour because we got tips. We ALWAYS were expected to wear the prescribed outfit, whether it was black skirts and white blouses, or a special peasant blouse, that had to be purchased at a particular uniform store, and a brown wraparound skirt that we were expected TO MAKE, as in SEW or pay to have sewn. Other jobs where we made barely above minimum and were expected to wear business attire, ladies suits with nice blouses (typical cost of suit >$60, blouse >$20.

If a Walmart employee makes $9 an hour, they can purchase 3 slacks and 4 polos AT WALMART for a single 8 hour day's pay (3 x $15=$45, plus 4 x $6=$24) and they will be set for about 6 months. Don't start in about taxes, and FICO, etc....I'm just making an example.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
a brown wraparound skirt that we were expected TO MAKE, as in SEW or pay to have sewn.
This would probably now be classified as a uniform by the Department of Labor. If the purchase/making of this item brings your wage below minimum wage, then the employer can't make you pay for it.

Quote:
Other jobs where we made barely above minimum and were expected to wear business attire, ladies suits with nice blouses (typical cost of suit >$60, blouse >$20.
Just because other businesses do it, does it make it right?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:39 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,678,790 times
Default Khaki pants and a blue shirt has been the dress code in their employee handbook for years, just unenforced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Walmart's "dress code" is so specific, it's practically a uniform that would not get much use elsewhere. I wouldn't exactly compare it to having to wear a suit to work. They are barely skirting by the Department of Labor definition of a uniform. When you first get a job, you know what's expected of you as far as having to buy clothes and/or equipment. You can easily choose not to accept the job. These employees are having their dress code changed on them after they were hired.
Really? "khaki or black bottoms and navy blue or white collared shirts" is so specific that DoL would call it a uniform?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Really? "khaki or black bottoms and navy blue or white collared shirts" is so specific that DoL would call it a uniform?
It is barely outside of the definition of a uniform.

All I can think about is how much tax money is already spent to subsidize Walmart's labor costs. I wonder how many Walmart employees are receiving government assistance.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:08 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,346,811 times
The one color pair of pants that I don't own is Khaki, because I've never worked for a company that required them. It's always black or navy.

My neighbor works in the bakery dept of Walmart, and she claims that she makes $12/hr.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:10 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,437,388 times
if you go to the outlet mall, khakis are literally $10. they don't cost any more (in fact they are probably cheaper) than dickies, etc. they don't cost any more than jeans or other clothing. y'all aren't homeless and even then, i see homeless folks wearing khakis all the time.

my point is simply that these work clothes don't have to cost any more than the clothes you normally wear and i'm guessing you buy clothes on a semi-regular basis anyway.

there are many people at my workplace who wear the same clothes pretty much every day. heck, mark zuckerberg is a billionaire and he wears the same clothes every day...of course he has multiples of the same hoodie but it doesn't need to get expensive.

almost all of the shirts that i wear for work were free gathered from various events, giveaways, etc.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
maybe just me but shouldn't everyone own at least a pair of khakis, a button up shirt, and some decent shoes? heck, i'll be really controversial and say that i think everyone should own a suit, dress shirt, tie, and dress shoes. don't people go to weddings, funerals, ....court? lol.
I agree that MEN should own a suit, tie, etc. (remember women have much more freedom at formal gatherings than men do.) The issue is if you never wear khakis for work, why would you own them? Say if you are a carpenter, you don't have a need for it. If you wear black or navy pants to work, you don't have a need for it.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:14 PM

606 posts, read 731,157 times
Pants are Pants, who cares what color they have to be? If you don't want a career at Walmart, better stay awake in Science and Math class!

Old 09-09-2014, 02:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's becoming more difficult for workers at the bottom to survive. This is just piling on their expenses.

The employees at Walmart can shop right in the store they work for and get what they need for less than $10.00 per item when it is on sale and with their employee discount. I have picked up the same shirts for $2.00 each and the pants for $4.00 each at Walmart and it isn't like they have to make a special trip to go shopping and use any extra gasoline.

They are fussing just to fuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment