Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,204,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Agreed. There should be heavy penalties for outsourcing but its the opposite now. Companies get tax breaks for outsourcing. It should be easier & more profitable to do business here. Right now its neither. They dont have any incentive to bring back jobs. About education, there needs to be a culture shift in how the kids see science & maths. Often the smart kids are bullied so they lose interest in pursuing these subjects. Its the opposite in Asia. Kids with good grades are very popular in school. This sets the path for rest of their life. If you start showing respect for "nerds" today, more kids will want to be like them & pursue higher education. This is not a sudden crisis for usa. Its been in the making for a long time now. Asian countries lack opportunities so that worked in their favor. Its called "desirable difficulties". They are reaping the benefits of educating their kids in subjects that actually matter.
Smart kids have been bullied for years; nothing new there. Most Americans believe that kids here should be well-rounded ( educated, athletic and able to communicate effectively ) and not singularly focused on science and math. And don't kid yourself ... there are plenty of American kids who do fall into the "nerd" stereotype. Asian kids see gaining intelligence in science and math as a way to escape the squalor most of them grew up in. American kids don't have to escape anything ....

The extension of credit in this country has created a society of entitlement. No one is willing to wait and save for the latest version of an item anymore. It is much easier to buy now, pay later. The end result is excessive consumption and a high demand for cheaper goods and services. Corporations respond by eliminating workers or replacing workers with overseas help to maximize profits. This cycle will continue indefinitely and more jobs lost until Americans learn how to save and not buy everything they see.

The problem with offshoring and temporary visa programs for IT and other sciences is the employer rarely knows the quality of talent they are bringing in as there are no technical test requirements to get said visa. I'd be willing to bet that at least 50% of the H-1B visa holders would be sent packing if such testing was implemented. A great deal of them couldn't even meet the minimum standards of the TOEFL exam. The employer is more interested in saving a buck and looking good to superiors than getting the job done.

Getting rid of offshoring and temporary visa workers is a difficult proposition considering the money being "donated" to political factions by the powers that manipulate the visa and offshoring models. I have personally spent time dealing with both temporary visa holders and offshore workers and saw productivity fall due to poor communication and substandard technical skills. Some corporations are seeing the flaw in both models are returning to a more traditional "hire Americans" protocol. Quantity very rarely equals quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,842,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
So if a store wanted to remodel their interior, you think it would be better to have a legal requirement that they hire, manage, and supervise a construction crew in-house, rather than hire a contractor to do the remodeling?
Sorry I confused offshore with outsource.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I believe you did write this: "The root-cause is very obvious". No?
To me it is. But I am not always right & open to criticism. I am not forcing my opinion. Just sharing it for others to comment.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Most people see the terms offshoring and outsourcing as synonymous, but it's pretty clear that she's talking about the former.
Thanks for clarifying. I wanted to go back & change my post but people started commenting & quoting so I got locked out. I did mean sending jobs outside US. Thats why the title of my thread is 'How to bring back jobs to USA'

Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,071,953 times
Quote:
To me it is. But I am not always right & open to criticism. I am not forcing my opinion. Just sharing it for others to comment.
You're an Indian? Engineer? On an H1B Visa? If not now on that Visa, you were at one point?

It isn't that you aren't right, it is that you're biased.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM

21,886 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That works when it's possible. But let's be honest. Your car is not american made. Is american assembled.

Same applies to electronics. You can't buy american made consumer electronics across the board.

90% of my clothing is from Italy because the US only has one or two manufacturers that make anything decent.

My spice rack is full of foreign spices like cinnamon. Mostly from assassin countries.

So while shopping american sounds nice in theory... It's impassible to do all the time... Or even majority of the time
I bought some beater work pants from LL Bean last year. Made in Thailand, hemmed in the US. Hems fell out after a few days of wear. Complete garbage. Fabric is by no means high quality, but it's completely functional. Hickey still makes pretty good stuff, given the fabric is all Italian.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,303,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
A great deal of them couldn't even meet the minimum standards of the TOEFL exam. The employer is more interested in saving a buck and looking good to superiors than getting the job done.
What does an English proficiency exam have to do with programming, or accounting? H1's by their nature are temporary. The waitlist to change status is exponentially longer than the term of the Visa.

If you want to have American companies provide for you, buy their stock. The reason they outsource, offshore, and keep costs down is to provide a return to shareholders. Companies are not altruistic. They are by their nature and mandate dedicated to providing a maximum return for their shareholders.

The big offshore hub was India, but they grew, and expanded, and costs went up and guess what, the Philippines could do it for less. So in the past decade, who has the largest offshore delivery centre workforce? It's not India anymore... In a few years someone else will come along and eat the Philippines' lunch and they'll have to evolve as well.

The sooner everyone quits whining and realizes that this is a global economy and you need to find your own niche instead of lamenting what was, the better everyone will be.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:10 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,204,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
What does an English proficiency exam have to do with programming, or accounting? H1's by their nature are temporary. The waitlist to change status is exponentially longer than the term of the Visa.
Have you ever sat in a meeting with a group of H-1B programmers who had poor English skills ? I have and I can tell you the H-1Bs will "yes" you to death, assure you they know what's to be done, and walk away. A couple of weeks go by and it's back to the meeting room to do the same thing again because the H-1Bs never really understood the task at hand. Ever gotten an email from an H-1B with poor English skills or from an offshore resource ? Many project managers will tell you they have wasted more time on bridging the communication gap than actually on relevant project activities.

Quote:
If you want to have American companies provide for you, buy their stock. The reason they outsource, offshore, and keep costs down is to provide a return to shareholders. Companies are not altruistic. They are by their nature and mandate dedicated to providing a maximum return for their shareholders.
Sure, I'll buy stock from an American company who doesn't use offshore or H-1B resources or doesn't close down U.S. manufacturing facilities and migrate work to a third world country. Sure, there is a maximum return and then there is flat out greed.

Quote:
The sooner everyone quits whining and realizes that this is a global economy and you need to find your own niche instead of lamenting what was, the better everyone will be.
The only reason there is a "global" economy is because the U.S. has to play benefactor and solve all of the world's issues. How any of the countries we subsidize would be in a position to mass export goods without our help ? What ever happened to cleaning up our own house before cleaning up the neighborhood ?

Old 09-18-2014, 12:19 PM

7,930 posts, read 7,831,350 times
H1's should be temporary but the concept is getting old. During the dot com bubble they were brought in..ok I get that but after a downturn? Should the visa be temporary or the whole program? If a program works then it should have a time frame and then dissolve.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Stop off-shoring, educate youth to make better quality here to buy.
Fixed. Outsourcing is one thing, off-shoring is fairly similar but more defined to being actually sending jobs to China or Taiwan rather than outsourcing which just means another company handles a non-core component for you (say call centers.)

Quote:
Both
As I mentioned above, outsourcing itself is fine and actually allows a company to worry about core things and even lower costs while still keeping jobs in America. Off-shoring does not keep jobs and ultimately hurts the economy with less economic players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment