Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She's already gotten this woman, a supervisor, angry. Do you really think it's wise to dig in her heels like this?
Yes, I do.

The woman is a bad boss. OP has a legitimate cause for complaint, and it's her choice to allow this person to keep her from working.

It's not the same thing as going in her office and unplugging her wax warmer. Of course, it would be best to TELL the woman why she's closing her door. But OP would have to get over being afraid of confrontation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:57 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes, I do.

The woman is a bad boss. OP has a legitimate cause for complaint, and it's her choice to allow this person to keep her from working.

It's not the same thing as going in her office and unplugging her wax warmer. Of course, it would be best to TELL the woman why she's closing her door. But OP would have to get over being afraid of confrontation.

I'm not buying that the op is afraid of confrontation. Anyone who goes into someones office and unplugs a wax warmer doesn't seem too fearful. And the supervisor is not the op's supervisor, so it changes the dynamic.

OP, do what Wms has suggested and be prepared to lose your job before you find one. The supervisor, seems 'off', but apparently gets her way around there, and you're lower in the hierarchy. Add telling her why you're closing her door - a move that can be made by her superiors - to going into her office and unplugging her wax warmer, and there will probably be a price to pay.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not buying that the op is afraid of confrontation. Anyone who goes into someones office and unplugs a wax warmer doesn't seem too fearful. And the supervisor is not the op's supervisor, so it changes the dynamic.

OP, do what Wms has suggested and be prepared to lose your job before you find one. The supervisor, seems 'off', but apparently gets her way around there, and you're lower in the hierarchy. Add telling her why you're closing her door - a move that can be made by her superiors - to going into her office and unplugging her wax warmer, and there will probably be a price to pay.
If she were not afraid of confrontation, she would have talked to the woman about the wax warmer rather than just going in when she wasn't there and unplugging it.

IF she really wanted to get tricky, OP could close the door and tell Ms. Speakerphoner that she was worried HER phone call would disturb HER.

It actually works in the OP's favor that the woman is not HER supervisor. As for being fired, OP's supposed violation is not as critical as what this other person is doing.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I hate that, when someone gabs on speakerphone. I once asked a lady if she had a hearing problem because she was yelling into her phone. I wasn't trying to be mean. I was in the same room, no cubicles. I was new. You could hear her all over the building. I couldn't believe no one had said something to her. Of course, she hated me after that. We had a love/hate relationship. lol I miss that ol' biddy. Wonder if she's still there?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
why don't you record her from your desk for your supervisor, so he or she knows what your clients are hearing.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM

522 posts, read 695,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Would it be rude to close the door to someones office who is using speaker phone? Even for personal calls? I sit right by her office and it's getting a bit too loud (even had to tell a customer I'd call her back. This woman was loudly talking about her weekend plans and kept saying OH- MA- GAAHH! I CANT WAIT!

She isnt busy where she cant have the phone to her ear. She is staring at the phone and talking.

(Im starting to despise this woman, I mentioned her before in a previous thread, she always has a wax warmer on and it's stinking up the office)
She's the one being rude. Go up to her office door. If she turns around and looks at you just wave politely and smile as you quietly shut the door. If she gets mad for her loud voice causing problems then that's her problem.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:45 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Would it be rude to close the door to someones office who is using speaker phone? Even for personal calls? I sit right by her office and it's getting a bit too loud (even had to tell a customer I'd call her back. This woman was loudly talking about her weekend plans and kept saying OH- MA- GAAHH! I CANT WAIT!

She isnt busy where she cant have the phone to her ear. She is staring at the phone and talking.

(Im starting to despise this woman, I mentioned her before in a previous thread, she always has a wax warmer on and it's stinking up the office)
Certainly not. I do it all the time.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 AM

352 posts, read 324,711 times
Quote:

One of the things I hate about the way our society works is that it's somehow rude to tell someone they're being rude.

I'm always amazed at how people are completely oblivious to everyone other than themselves. Like when neighbors play really loud music/TV, do they not realize that they're disturbing everyone else because they're idiotic or are they such dbags that they just don't care?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:00 AM

223 posts, read 300,313 times
Default Closing the Door - Speaker Phone

Quote:

I would close it. Then go to her afterward and say sweetly, "I just closed your door as I'm sure you didn't want the whole office knowing your business."

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM

99,566 posts, read 4,492,037 times
I experienced this same situation at work. The woman actually had her door closed when she was quietly doing paperwork and opened it for speakerphone calls!

I finally spoke to my supervisor and was allowed to move to another cubicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment