Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 04:03 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,776,838 times

Advertisements

Someone I know put in their application with AT&T a couple days ago (online). He had to fill out a questionnaire with a bunch of questions like, "What would your manager say about you....best worker he ever had, worst, in between....stuff like that. He was honest and didn't try to make himself sound like superman. Nobody's perfect, you know.

They rejected his application based on that questionnaire! Wouldn't even let him apply!

I read a little bit about the "purple squirrel" in another thread....seems like that's what is happening here. The person would be a good employee for AT&T, very smart, very good with technology, conscientious....but they won't even take his application. And now he can't apply again for 6 months!

Does anyone know how to get around that questionnaire? Someone in that other thread suggested finding the name of the hiring manager and emailing a resume directly to them....I'm not sure this would work, though, as they probably have to adhere strictly to company policy in their hiring.

Just really wondering what others have to say about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,440,569 times
unfortunately it is a bit of a game. your friend needs to fill out the questionnaire a little bit better next time around. i'm not going to tell you to lie but be sure to present yourself in the best light possible. the goal of the questionnaire is to get an interview...

one of my friends sells life insurance and he said that one woman was denied because of the questionnaire. it would ask questions like "do you ever feel depressed?" and she wrote "yes, sometimes" because she was being honest.

i also know of a family who was denied entry on a cruise because on the questions at check-in asks if you or any family member has had a cold, runny nose, or cough within the past few weeks and she said "yes, daughter had a runny nose last week."

common sense people...play to win.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,770,338 times
Those job questionnaires are made by people like the guy who started this thread (https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...interview.html).

They basically see everything as black or white. You're either right or wrong, sick or not sick, sober or a raging alcoholic who beats their kids. If you make a mistake, don't admit to it because these vultures will tear you apart.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 PM

23,617 posts, read 24,157,909 times
Try and see if his network knows anyone inside at AT&T. Have that person bring his resume in and bypass the initial BS screening process.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,560,981 times
Totally lie on those applications. Simply tell them what they want to hear. How do you expect to compete with the other people that are doing it? They don't hand out honesty trophies.

Like the question about whether I think it's okay to take ballpoint pens from the office, I would of course say "No."

Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times
Always put yourself in the best possible light and tell them what they want to hear. The sole function of those questionnaires is to disqualify you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment