Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,671 times

Advertisements

Everyone keeps telling me to network but its nearly impossible for me to do face to face networking because I live in a VERY rural area in the south( there are literally ZERO job opportunities here). So I have to rely on linkedin but I keep hearing applying online is a joke! I would love to move but I dont have the money and my parents dont have the money to help me move. Im not just blasting out my resume either. I carefully tailor it to each job I apply to along with a scecific cover letter. I even had my resume professionally evaluated (I would love to have it professionally written....but $200!? Really?) so I just followed the guy's advice and re-wrote it (it wasnt bad at all to begin with according to him). I don't hear anything back after applying and I'd love to go and join actual groups but its just not an option. Online is all I can do! If all else fails maybe I'll just join the military....thats really the only option left....besides becoming a hermit.

Anyways I'm done venting...back to Skyrim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 12:07 AM

310 posts, read 686,015 times
Life is what you make it. People in rural areas need to get **** done too. Firewood cutting, splitting, delivery comes to mind, maybe some gator hunting, well drilling, tractor fixing ( heavy machinery maintenance/sales is big no matter where you are Profoundly Disconnected ). Yadda yadda yadda, but yes, there's always the military.

Not sure if serious about applying online being a joke in 2014. Probably just a bad troll.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
Life is what you make it. People in rural areas need to get **** done too. Firewood cutting, splitting, delivery comes to mind, maybe some gator hunting, well drilling, tractor fixing ( heavy machinery maintenance/sales is big no matter where you are Profoundly Disconnected ). Yadda yadda yadda, but yes, there's always the military.

Not sure if serious about applying online being a joke in 2014. Probably just a bad troll.
I promise I'm not trolling. People tell me online is a waste but I still do it anyways. Thank you for your suggestions.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 AM

310 posts, read 686,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
People tell me online is a waste but I still do it anyways.
You shouldn't listen to the Amish on this, they have other ways to get jobs. Meanwhile, back in reality, most all relevant hiring is happening online. Why wouldn't it? There are dozens if not hundreds of applicants for every job. No one in their right mind will process physical paperwork to get through all of the apps.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarelyrelocating View Post
you shouldn't listen to the amish on this, they have other ways to get jobs. Meanwhile, back in reality, most all relevant hiring is happening online. Why wouldn't it? There are dozens if not hundreds of applicants for every job. No one in their right mind will process physical paperwork to get through all of the apps.
Hahah Agreed!

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Try to do some odd jobs for couple of months in your town, save some money & move to a bigger city where you have good job prospects. You have to take some risks in life & invest some money, hard work before you can see results. After you move, try to find any part-time job or an internship in a company that hires professionals from your field. Get a roommate to share expenses. Just focus on supporting yourself through these part time jobs until you find what you want. Keep few hours or a day of the week free for on-site & phone interviews. Build references where you work & use them in your job application. Companies prefer local candidates as they dont want to give relocation or fly them for interview. You will be ahead of the competition by being local.

Linkedin is great for professionals with few years of experience but if you are a recent graduate & looking for entry level jobs, you will have to go through some struggle to get that first break. Its easier if you are in a city with lots of opportunities. Start doing some online research & ask professionals in your field which is the best city to relocate. Try not to wait too long as a big gap in resume is not a good sign. Even when you are working odd jobs you can add some skills you learnt there in your resume. For example, if you worked at starbucks, in the resume you can add skills like team work, customer satisfaction, appraisals from the management, people's skills, etc. Any job has the ability to teach you skills that will come in handy in your profession. But if you are not doing anything, you are not learning & growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment