Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM

701 posts, read 1,098,975 times

Advertisements

Build a balloon, let it go, and then report one of your sons missing to the press, then tell everyone he's trapped inside the balloon.

Didn't work out so well last time, though, so YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,592,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyRelocating View Post
You know that you are posting on an American message board?
I am asking because there are no educational shows on TV/Cable other than on PBS. You will have a much better chance (which went from zero to approximately 0.00000001%) to get into something like that in Europe where they actually put edutainment on TV.

It's great to dream big, but those dreams actually have to have the potential to be accomplished, otherwise they remain dreams forever.
I know, and I don't want them to remain dreams. If nothing else, I guess I could start a blog about my ideas.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM

310 posts, read 687,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I know, and I don't want them to remain dreams. If nothing else, I guess I could start a blog about my ideas.
Just NO.

There are only 24 hours in a day. Your time is extremely limited.
How does a blog advance you toward accomplishing your dreams? It doesn't. It's just a public form of daydreaming.

Why do you want to be on educational TV?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Just NO.

There are only 24 hours in a day. Your time is extremely limited.
How does a blog advance you toward accomplishing your dreams? It doesn't. It's just a public form of daydreaming.

Why do you want to be on educational TV?
I think I'm very creative and would like to have some of my ideas and opinions heard. I would like to meet up with today's intellectuals and discuss topics that would help people improve their lives. I want to explore my interests in a way that makes other people want to explore them, too.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I think I'm very creative and would like to have some of my ideas and opinions heard. I would like to meet up with today's intellectuals and discuss topics that would help people improve their lives. I want to explore my interests in a way that makes other people want to explore them, too.
But ..., that sounds like a hobby, not like a profession, join a book club or some such.

Most people would like to have their ideas and opinions heard, and most people's ideas and opinions end up being less than awesome. Just watch Shark Tank to see how much money people who think they have good ideas invest in truly terrible ideas.

How is what you wrote above suppose to make anyone any money?

Old 09-22-2014, 11:53 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,159,448 times
Quote:
I am asking because there are no educational shows on TV/Cable other than on PBS. You will have a much better chance (which went from zero to approximately 0.00000001%) to get into something like that in Europe where they actually put edutainment on TV.

It's great to dream big, but those dreams actually have to have the potential to be accomplished, otherwise they remain dreams forever.

Umm, what?

Smithsonian Channel: It's Brighter Here

Art, Culture, Film, Music, Fashion, Arts Advocacy TV | Ovation Official Site

Travel Videos, Shows, and Guides - Travel Channel

National Geographic Channel Home | National Geographic Channel

Science Channel : Science Channel

Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 AM

77 posts, read 135,008 times
Quote:

Discovery, History, National Geo... i'm not even american, or been to america and know of these stations.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 AM

Two comments about that:

1. There's such as thing as exaggeration for dramatic effect.
2. Just because something is called Discovery, History, or NatGeo doesn't mean that there's educational programming running on it. At lot of airtime on those channels is clogged up with incredibly inexpensively to produce Reality TV that is literally worthless by any standard.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
But ..., that sounds like a hobby, not like a profession, join a book club or some such.

Most people would like to have their ideas and opinions heard, and most people's ideas and opinions end up being less than awesome. Just watch Shark Tank to see how much money people who think they have good ideas invest in truly terrible ideas.

How is what you wrote above suppose to make anyone any money?
I think it would actually make a great show, because what I have in mind hasn't been done, to my knowledge. I need to do a lot of things, though, to make it a reality.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 AM

6,722 posts, read 5,972,653 times
Quote:
No, you haven't confused me with anyone else, unfortunately. I'm just at an age where I'm interested in pursuing my dreams before it's too late. I've waited patiently, stayed in school, and done mostly everything I thought I was supposed to do and didn't get what I want. I guess now it's time to start dreaming again and working to fulfill those dreams. The path I've chosen has so far not lead to the outcomes I desire. I played it "safe" and still am not where I want to be. I guess it's time for me to try something else.
kmb, pursuing your dreams is a good idea and I highly recommend it. Let us know where your path leads you... and bear in mind that it's NEVER too late to follow your dreams!

Best of luck,
BP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment