Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:16 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the construction skilled trades, but first i want to earn a business degree because i want i want one, business is interesting, and just in case i need something to fall on.

But i don't want to work menial jobs for someone else right now. I am thinking of managing a part time side business for income and to develop some entrepreneur business skills. I have no problem with working for someone else in the skilled trades, but i would like to be self employed later in life.

I don't want to grow the business into an empire or anything. I just want to do for a little income and to develop some skills. I am thinking of doing a side business in house painting.

I am thinking of doing this side business part time, going to school part time and continuing training in boxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 PM

Sorry for the grammar errors. My phone sucks

Old 10-06-2014, 08:35 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I am interested in the construction skilled trades, but first i want to earn a business degree because i want i want one, business is interesting, and just in case i need something to fall on.

But i don't want to work menial jobs for someone else right now. I am thinking of managing a part time side business for income and to develop some entrepreneur business skills. I have no problem with working for someone else in the skilled trades, but i would like to be self employed later in life.

I don't want to grow the business into an empire or anything. I just want to do for a little income and to develop some skills. I am thinking of doing a side business in house painting.

I am thinking of doing this side business part time, going to school part time and continuing training in boxing.
First off see if the college has any ties to an incubator for businesses. If they do, talk to them to see if your idea is worth while. If it is then do it. If it isn't, figure something else out like another job or even another business proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Sorry for the grammar errors. My phone sucks
It's understandable. Swype sucks sometimes and spells things wrong for me like using fir for for.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Do you have any experience in it? Do you know the average rates in your area? Where are you going to get your clients?

While I am pretty sure for most painting work it does not require a long term education, there are techniques to learn on how to properly spray the paint to avoid runs and get it all covered properly, you also need to learn how to properly tape and cover areas that you do not want paint to get onto, and you need to learn those techniques to do the job right and in a decent amount of time. Think about it this way, if you have to go in and scrap and than repaint a wall because you have runs in it, you are basically doing 2 jobs for the price of 1. If you ruin someones carpet and have to pay $500 to replace the carpet, how many jobs will it take to pay for that and cover your other expenses? That is also not calculating in the damage to your reputation that doing a poor job will do to you and your company.

One of the biggest problems I see with new companies is that they do not understand how to properly price their products, especially in something labor intensive. They think if someone will pay them $15 an hour to do a job than making $20 an hour as a self employed person will be much better. They do not calculate in the costs of insurance, fuel, supplies, time doing paperwork and bids, marketing, self employment tax, tracking finance, and all the other costs. In the end it all comes back to bite you if you undercharge, but if you overcharge you cannot get business.

How are you going to get business? I recently saw a study that the biggest reason most businesses close is lack of customers. Whether it is lack of demand, or lack of getting in front of the customers willing to pay you for your service, it is a constant battle to get enough clients to continue to make enough money to make it all worthwhile. How are you going to be different? Do you have good connections in the construction business? Do you know how the others in your area are marketing? How does your typical customer make their buying decisions and how do you get yourself into consideration?

I am sorry if this comes off as a rant or being an ass, but reality is starting a business is hard, just printing up a business card and some flyers does not make a business work, you have to plan how to do it and do it correctly. Saying you are going to start a business because you do not want a menial job is nice, but reality is it takes a lot more work to get a business going than many people realize, and while it is worth it if you want to do that, you should know what you are getting into.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:02 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
I like your moxie.

One easy startup to consider is lawn service. You would need to purchase a string trimmer, blower, edger and riding mower -- all of which can be acquired used. If you are handy you can service them yourself. Find out what people are paying in the area for lawn care and undercut your competition.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Instead of "easy" I should have said "basic." Of course it will require hard work.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:24 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
It's not a bad idea but college students have been doing house painting for decades and in most college towns there already is a glut of house painting businesses.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I like your moxie.

One easy startup to consider is lawn service. You would need to purchase a string trimmer, blower, edger and riding mower -- all of which can be acquired used. If you are handy you can service them yourself. Find out what people are paying in the area for lawn care and undercut your competition.
Yeah i was also thinking of a lawn care business. I think the start up cost would be more expensive than that of house painting but there is probably more work there. I also live in the southwest so work won't go out as much as other places in the country. But i also think it is easier to find work since you can see who needs lawn work just by passing through streets.. I don't live in a college town i live in a medium size city

Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
The problem with lawn care is that there are a good amount of start up costs. Mowers cost anywhere from $100 up and other equipment don't come that cheap either. Unless you have the money otherwise, it may be a problem staying up as it would take several jobs to just break-even. Then comes recurring costs. Compare that to painting, you need a few brushes and the paint which is much easier.

I'd see about being an entrepreneur with a true small business idea or become a tutor. You'd be surprised how many students need one and don't know where to look for one.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem with lawn care is that there are a good amount of start up costs. Mowers cost anywhere from $100 up and other equipment don't come that cheap either. Unless you have the money otherwise, it may be a problem staying up as it would take several jobs to just break-even. Then comes recurring costs. Compare that to painting, you need a few brushes and the paint which is much easier.

I'd see about being an entrepreneur with a true small business idea or become a tutor. You'd be surprised how many students need one and don't know where to look for one.
True, the start up cost of being a house painter is cheaper. i also think lawn care is more competitive since alot of people see it as a full time job and they are always trying to find work. Since there is greater profit possibility in lawn care than in house painting ( Unless you are really good at it and paint rich people houses) there is room for someone like me just to earn some cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment