Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:15 AM

259 posts, read 524,103 times

Advertisements

Although I commend your persistence, it really doesn't seem like you have the skills to do the job. If after so many attempts and tries, yet you still can't get angled backing, and then being late for a shift, an accident, and being too slow, all within training periods, it just doesn't seem like the job for your skill set.

You also seem very thin-skinned and not very assertive. Just excuse after excuse. And you let the terminal manager talk you out of what you wanted to do (B class) based on something you didn't even care about (pay?)? All you wanted to do was to be able to truck drive and you found your way to at least break into it that might be a little easier for you, and you let someone talk you out of it.

Yeah, you need to start thinking about another field or find other ways to be trained and actually *retain* that information. At this point, you're a liability for truck companies and the public, and from the things you've written, I can see why.

Last edited by FromChicagotoSeattle; 10-18-2014 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,557,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChicagotoSeattle View Post
Although I commend your persistence, it really doesn't seem like you have the skills to do the job. If after so many attempts and tries, yet you still can't get angled backing, and then being late for a shift, an accident, and being too slow, all within training periods, it just doesn't seem like the job for your skill set.

You also seem very thin-skinned and not very assertive. Just excuse after excuse. And you let the terminal manager talk you out of what you wanted to do (B class) based on something you didn't even care about (pay?)? All you wanted to do was to be able to truck drive and you found your way to at least break into it that might be a little easier for you, and you let someone talk you out of it.

Yeah, you need to start thinking about another field or find other ways to be trained and actually *retain* that information. At this point, you're a liability for truck companies and the public, and from the things you've written, I can see why.
I don't think he was malicious, the TM, but to tell me it "pays more" (Class A), without telling me the actual difference in salary, was clumsy at best. I admit I trusted him, since, it would seem to most people if a manager is saying that, that the pay difference is significant, not the value of a tank of gas in most cars.
That really stings.
Of course, I wonder if I have all the skills to do the job, but, if, I did have the skills like you say, how was a able to get my licence and pass the truck schools I've passed? I don't plan on giving up yet, since I was getting better at backing, still had a ways to go though, didn't get in any accidents. The high hook? That sucked, yes, but, the cops weren't called, I didn't have to take a pee test and I doubt if they even reported it to their insurance company, this is more of an incident, not an accident, won't even show up on my MVR, since it happened on company private property and no other damage was involved other than a noticeable dent in the back of the tractor, which was still useable.
I already quit on this before 4.5 years ago and I don't want to do it again.
There are a few baseball and hockey players that toiled around in the minor leagues with a boatload of teams, stuck with it and finally made the "show" in their 30's. As long as I don't do anything that actually takes my CDL away, I need to keep on trying.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 PM

32,790 posts, read 48,595,592 times
OP, since backing is your problem, call some driving schools and see if you can hire someone for a full day of non-stop backing. You're almost there, but some additional help and a lot more practice would make a lot of difference to you.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:55 PM

519 posts, read 780,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you will find that ADD is not compatible with a CDL license, one has to be able to focus and multi task as well as perform quickly and safely. Also backing up is a large percentage of the job so if you are unable to back up proficiently 99% of the time it is an issue.
Many companies will and have fired people for being late one time, we (company owners) make a promise to our customers that our service is the best, hence the reason they hire us. There are few exceptions when it comes to making a delivery to a customer that is late.
As a company owner it is in our best interest to cut loose anyone who is unable to perform all required duties proficiently within a short period of training time.
It is unfortunate and it does not sound fair however, we cannot afford to lose long term customers to give someone more time than others to learn and maintain the training they have been given.
Are you kidding me?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,132,217 times
If anything, I would say just stick with training companies that actually have driver-trainers that know their things when out on the road.
When I first got my CDL back in '04, I knew I came out of it with not a whole lot of sufficient training to be able to do the job right.
Fast forward to '06 and I got on with a company that got me part of the way there.
Got some of the backing down and most of the other things down in order to get the job done somewhat more effectively.

Then came that accident that pretty much got me fired from there and "untouchable" by most companies between '07 and '10.
In that time-frame I sunk into a semi-deep depression that I still feel I haven't totally recovered from.
But at the same time, I began watching videos, reading tutorials, and hanging out at truckstops and delivery warehouses to watch and learn all over again.

After what seemed like an almost 10 year game of hit and miss, rinse-repeat, I've been driving semis again for the past four years, two of those with same company I'm currently with.
No accidents, got the backing thing down pretty good, and I've also been pretty good at the on-time delivery/pick-up thing.
And if you definitely know you can't make an on-time delivery, it's better to call dispatch beforehand to get a reschedule.

The point of this ramble is to show you that yes, persistence will definitely pay off.
It's just that persistence to some of us will involve a lot of hardship and money before we get it right.
But once we do get it right, the investment will eventually be paid off, both figuratively and literally.

A little off-topic, but as for people that suggest "another career", I would hold off on that before knowing the circumstances of the OP.

I'm still on the fence as to whether "making a career out of changing careers" is beneficial to any one at any time.
Sure, after 10-20 years, it's about time to turn over a new leaf.

But every 1-3 years? After finding the 4th or 5th thing you're terrible at?
Another career change isn't going to solve anything when you've become that much of a revolving door.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,501,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
Are you kidding me?

Is there some sort of clear and concise thought beyond you smacking your own head?
You should be careful smacking your own head, you could leave a mark.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:14 AM

797 posts, read 759,343 times
Man sounds rough,let me ask you this,how many times at the DMV did it take you to pass your exam?

Old 11-19-2014, 11:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,347,240 times
Freight isn't worth it, IMO, unless you're getting into something specialized with consistent loads. Most of my driving time was spent either in oilfields or in the construction industry, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. I took up an OTR stint in 2011 after striking out for jobs in Colorado Springs, and I'm thankful that was short-lived (although I did enjoy working for the guy I worked for). I imagine it must be pure hell for these fleet drivers, with their "snail patrol" governed trucks, EOBRs, having to live in a 70" box... no, thank you.
And now Barney and politicians are looking for even more ways to make the lives of these people miserable.
And this is what you want to get back into?
The OTR life is no life at all. Try finding something where you can be home regularly, and maybe pick up some skills to complement the driving part (e.g., operating equipment, or some municipal job).

Old 11-20-2014, 05:58 AM

51,477 posts, read 37,154,114 times
I also have ADD and don't think trucking is the best field. One of my symptoms anyway is that I do not have good spatial skills. Have you ever gone through aptitude testing to see where your strengths actually lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment