Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times

Advertisements

I am asking this because i saw a recording of a NYC MTA conductor nodding off for maybe 5 minutes.
He may get terminated.

I am a night shifter,and i generally prepare myself to sleep during the day,but there are some nights that i could just be reading something at 4:05am and find myself nodding. I could sleep for 10 hours but someone the body still just shuts my eyes.

I only know that i fell asleep most times because i feel my head go down and catch it.
Other times,i actually see what is going on around me but can't move(strange but true).
It happens once or twice a week.

Nothing wrong with it,but should someone who nods for say 10 minutes be fired even though there is nothing else to do and nobody is in danger?

It is only natural we nod around 3am to 5am ,and i believe 100% of night shifters do not mean to fall asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 04:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
... but should someone who nods for say 10 minutes be fired even though there is nothing else to do and nobody is in danger?
You're not being paid to sleep on the job. Yes,. of course.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:42 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
Of course it's up to the bosses but generally any kind of sleeping on the job will get you in trouble. I have worked night shift for nearly 20 years and I believe vast majority of people are not cut out for it. You have some people who can't get into the rhythm of shift work. Others have too many obligations and try to stay up all day as well as night.

When I worked a minimum wage night shift job you had people who worked during the day, practically around the clock in multiple jobs who never really slept.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:12 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I am asking this because i saw a recording of a NYC MTA conductor nodding off for maybe 5 minutes.
He may get terminated.

I am a night shifter,and i generally prepare myself to sleep during the day,but there are some nights that i could just be reading something at 4:05am and find myself nodding. I could sleep for 10 hours but someone the body still just shuts my eyes.

I only know that i fell asleep most times because i feel my head go down and catch it.
Other times,i actually see what is going on around me but can't move(strange but true).
It happens once or twice a week.

Nothing wrong with it,but should someone who nods for say 10 minutes be fired even though there is nothing else to do and nobody is in danger?

It is only natural we nod around 3am to 5am ,and i believe 100% of night shifters do not mean to fall asleep.
It depends on the type of work being done, but, from an ethical standpoint, I don't think people who nod off on nightshift should be fired as a general rule, unless they could potentially endanger someone by doing so. Maybe most who nod off on nightshift should be shaken awake and given a cup of coffee or energy drink but not fired. Shift work is hard and often those who do it are doing so because they have other obligations during the day. Maybe they go to class, watch the kids, or have a day job they go to, for instance. They don't usually just sleep all day like they are supposed to. It's exhausting work, too. I worked night shift at a diner once.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
It depends on the type of work being done, but, from an ethical standpoint, I don't think people who nod off on nightshift should be fired as a general rule, unless they could potentially endanger someone by doing so. Maybe most who nod off on nightshift should be shaken awake and given a cup of coffee or energy drink but not fired. Shift work is hard and often those who do it are doing so because they have other obligations during the day. Maybe they go to class, watch the kids, or have a day job they go to, for instance. They don't usually just sleep all day like they are supposed to. It's exhausting work, too. I worked night shift at a diner once.
And you would anticipate the same babying from employers whose daytime employees fall asleep on the job? Whatever an employee opts to do with his time when not at his job is not the concern of the employer. It's totally irrelevant whether someone is falling asleep on a day shift or a night shift. An employer expects an employee to be alert and on the job, not snoozing.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:07 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Generally speaking, workplace violations should be handled through the process of progressive discipline.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Generally speaking, workplace violations should be handled through the process of progressive discipline.
In most circumstances yes - the "three strikes and you're out" policy which most employers adhere to.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:22 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,967 times
Ideally, only those who can hack it would work night shift. They would be fully acclimated to daytime sleeping, and it could be handled just like any other employee.

When you get people who really don't want to work nights who are forced to work nights (happened to me for 6 months,) it can be rough. I'll just plain never be able to do it, and that was a 6pm-4am shift.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:24 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Have you considered taking mini-naps in your break times? You need at least 15 minutes, 30 or 45 is better. Make sure to set an alarm.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:42 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Yes right on the spot. No warnings nothing. You are paid to do a job not sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment