Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,490,870 times

Advertisements

I think you chose wisely for a short term assignment to live in the Galleria Area given you needs. I wouldn't have La Senyora go all the way to University of Houston or Rice for English language studies. HCC has campuses just south of the Galleria Area (like less than 2 miles) in Bellaire (610 between Fournace and WestPark on east side of FWY) and Fournace/Gulftan @ Chimney Rock. They have lots of English as a 2nd Language classes. Most are geared towards Mexican-, Central-, and South-American spanish speakers. May not be any Italian->English classes but it's not like she would be in a class of Arabic- or Berber-speaking North Africans and Syrians back home in Italy. The languages are so similar (Italian/Spanish). Since half the people in Texas from Houston south to the border are Spanish-speaking it will probably be useful for her to refine her Spanish at the same time she learns English from hanging out with the Hispanics at break times and making amigos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM

113 posts, read 113,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I think you chose wisely for a short term assignment to live in the Galleria Area given you needs. I wouldn't have La Senyora go all the way to University of Houston or Rice for English language studies. HCC has campuses just south of the Galleria Area (like less than 2 miles) in Bellaire (610 between Fournace and WestPark on east side of FWY) and Fournace/Gulftan @ Chimney Rock. They have lots of English as a 2nd Language classes. Most are geared towards Mexican-, Central-, and South-American spanish speakers. May not be any Italian->English classes but it's not like she would be in a class of Arabic- or Berber-speaking North Africans and Syrians back home in Italy. The languages are so similar (Italian/Spanish). Since half the people in Texas from Houston south to the border are Spanish-speaking it will probably be useful for her to refine her Spanish at the same time she learns English from hanging out with the Hispanics at break times and making amigos.

Wow, great advice!! So you confirm the HCC is a good choice for her. And I also agree with you on the spanish language stuff.
I will let you know though!
Thanks

Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
To add to what others have said: this building (Hanover Post Oak) is in a great area, but traffic will be bad during the morning and evening rush hours. On the plus side, you will have 3 grocery stores within walking distance (Whole Foods, Randall's, and Fresh Market), as well as a number of restaurants and retail shops.

I work close by there and also live not far away, on the other side of the 610 freeway. I enjoy it, despite the main annoyance, which is the traffic.

The building you have indicated is very new and should be very nice. The view in your photo is toward the SW, but I think the window itself faces due west. Which means you will enjoy seeing sunsets, but will also receive a lot of heat in the summer months. (As I do, my windows also face west; I can see your building from my windows.)

That is great! so we'll become neighbours!! the picture is taken from 12th floor, my apartment will be on the 15th. This view is South West, there was another apartment on the 10th floor with a view more to West but I prefer to stay on the 15th floor. As far as I see from the picture, we have some nice building (high rise) ahead of us in the night, the Marathon Oil, Schlumberger and just another one which i don't know the name (Goodman Manufacturing).. just to say the view is not purely flat, am I wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited by screttiu; 12-29-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
The view is of the back side of the building. downtown views are the better choice if you can get them to give you that (you want eastern, to get downtown skyline) but you don't care about views, your concern was a good apartment/highrise and IMO I think that's almost the best choice in the galleria for your budget. It's a building that was completed recently so everything is almost brand new, good amenities as well. - pretty good deal if you ask me

especially since your here for under a year, time will pass so fast. as i mentioned earlier, traffic is the biggest concern i have with the galleria. its hard to get in and leave from this area during those hours i mentioned, you'll even see it in the morning, but it won't be as bad as afternoon.

welcome to Houston. Forza Milan! I'm a Milanista btw

I have tried to have them provide me with an East view but without success. I wanted to choose the higher floor (15th) which I believe may grant us a good view as well. However we still should get some good views on SW which I assume it's not too flat isn't it?

Come on, it seems you need to swtich to Turin's team (Juventus)

Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,996,872 times
It's only 9 months dude. Not like your stuck in rural Kazakhstan.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
It's only 9 months dude. Not like your stuck in rural Kazakhstan.

lol i know..it was just to speak come on..

Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM

Guys I've got another question.
My wife will bring his cellular with her. That is a Samsung S3. Assuming it works with an american sim, is there any prepaid plans at reasonable price? I've searched for reasonable plans but daamn very expensive. In Europe we normally pay 10 EUro months for 500 min 500 sms and 3 gb. Is there any reasonable solution?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2015, 03:28 AM

Guys, do you know if any swimming pool in the area?

Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 AM

Hey guys. Just arrived to Houston. Well..without baggages thanks to Lufthansa..
I have a quick question. Which is the most convenient food market / grocery store within the gallery area? However please advise on stores outside the gallery area as well ( food town?) Yesterday night we went at the whole food chain but I was impressed by the prices of everything! ! Simply crazy!

Thanks for your input as today we have to fill in our refrigerator!!!

Last edited by screttiu; 01-31-2015 at 03:01 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 05:17 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,146,228 times
Immediately west of you, about a three minute walk at sage and San Felipe is a Randell's. Its not a food town but it'll be a lot cheaper than whole foods. We do our weekly shopping at a Randell's. One could do it cheaper, but its convenient for us, so what the h*ll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
View detailed profiles of: