Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:06 PM

405 posts, read 573,809 times

Advertisements

Wow, I thought everyone who emails regularly knows about BCC. You should be embarrassed, especially as a HM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 03:09 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
Wow, I thought everyone who emails knows about BCC. You should be embarrassed.
Me too. Entry level or not, it's a basic function of email correspondence. What you did was very unprofessional. In the time it has taken you to create and reply to this thread, you could have sent the individual emails you thought would take up too much of your time.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:23 PM

324 posts, read 427,876 times
Are you a hiring manager or a sales person at a temp agency? I ask because I've only seen these things happen with so called "recruiters" from staffing agencies.

If you're an actual hiring manager, I would suggest taking the time to write individual emails if you want to attract quality talent. Mass emails, if you will, turn most people off and look at them as spam.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspectguy View Post
Are you a hiring manager or a sales person at a temp agency? I ask because I've only seen these things happen with so called "recruiters" from staffing agencies.

If you're an actual hiring manager, I would suggest taking the time to write individual emails if you want to attract quality talent. Mass emails, if you will, turn most people off and look at them as spam.
This is true.

A better option than bcc would be to use a mail merge. Dead simple to set up, and it has the bonus of being customized.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM

587 posts, read 916,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
Puh he scared the **** out of me! Next time I know though and will use BCC field

Those people posted their e-mail/contact information through a source website us recruiters/hiring managers pay to use and to find candidates. He got angry because I included his e-mail with bunch of others qualifying candidates. Big deal.... he's the only person saying that to me.
I hope you figure out why that was a really bad thing for you to do. If you had done that to me, I would have called your manager. Many people who work with recruiters don't want people to know that they are looking for a job. No one wants their email address shared with strangers. You may be better off fessing up to your manager now.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:16 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,348 times
OP - sorry to say it, but as a "hiring manager", you're quite incompetent.

1,013 posts, read 1,422,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Send emails to multiple recipients using the BCC line instead of the To or CC line. That way they are not shared.
Yeah, That!!!

16,062 posts, read 26,760,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
BCC is commonplace and basic... there should be no need to train you in that.
Agreed, that os common sense. Would you want your email address sent out to hundreds of strangers?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Valentino, between this and asking someone how much they're going to make in their new job, you should probably lay off the "as a hiring manager", and dispensing advice to others for a while. It seems you need to get your feet wet first. And not because you're drowning.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Valentino, between this and asking someone how much they're going to make in their new job, you should probably lay off the "as a hiring manager", and dispensing advice to others for a while. It seems you need to get your feet wet first. And not because you're drowning.
Agreed. Your posts seem to indicate that you might be an entry level HR recruiter. That is fine, misrepresenting yourself is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment