Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmartbottom View Post
Nope. It's the job of the person who was stocking the shelves to make sure that it went in the right place. It's not the job of cashiers checking people out. Barring that, I think personal responsibility plays a role here. If you don't want an unpleasant surprise when you go to check out, make sure you're buying what you think you're buying.
It is your job to verify, if there is a question.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:07 PM

491 posts, read 472,694 times
What happens 9 times out of 10 is that the price was for something else, and the customer gets angry. All "verifying" does is make someone angry.

What customers want is for me to give it to them for the price of an entirely different item. One thing that never fails to surprise me is how cheap people are and how unwilling they are to even pay a dollar or two more for something. I know not all these people work for $18k a year like me, so I wonder what their problem is.

My favorite was a woman who whined about something being a dollar more. Then I spotted the Lexus keys in her hand and let out a small snort of laughter. Thankfully she didn't hear. lol.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:14 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
OP"Then I spotted the Lexus keys in her hand and let out a small snort of laughter."

More class envy.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM

No, more like the ridiculousness of this woman with a luxury car who couldn't part with a dollar.

It's funny.

And honestly, who cares if I have class envy? You keep saying that like it's some horrible thing. Who cares?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,868,681 times
Quote:
As a cashier I always check the UPC on the actual item against the price that I imagine or want it to be, and often they don't match.

I really wish people would take some personal responsibility and check UPCs on items against the price they see. If you don't, it's your own fault that you see a sticker on a shelf and imagine it's the price of the item you're holding--a case of wishful thinking quite often.

I gently tried to tell a customer that next time she could do that and she said "But that's not my job!"

It's not mine either, lady. And since you're the one who is now frustrated and annoyed, it would have been smart for you to actually make sure the price was what you thought it was. For no reason other than sparing yourself this nonsense when you came up to a register.
You're right, but it is the responsibility of some employee in the store, not the customer. You are the representative of the store that customer is dealing with so it is your responsibility to correct whatever errors have been made by anybody who works there. The customer has already waited to be checked out and any delay is annoying. You're going to be there until your shift is over, so just take care of the problem as efficiently as possible, apologize for the mistake and the delay and let the customer get on with their life.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You're right, but it is the responsibility of some employee in the store, not the customer. You are the representative of the store that customer is dealing with so it is your responsibility to correct whatever errors have been made by anybody who works there. The customer has already waited to be checked out and any delay is annoying. You're going to be there until your shift is over, so just take care of the problem as efficiently as possible, apologize for the mistake and the delay and let the customer get on with their life.
There's nothing I can do to correct it except to apologize to the customer and say that no, I won't honor the price, because that is not the price of the item they have. All I can do is apologize sincerely.

There's really no other way to take care of the problem. If someone picked up a pair of $30 shoes that were sitting on top of a $12 sign, all I can do is tell them I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do. Pay what it costs, or I'll be happy to take it and you can be on your way.

I agree that it is my responsibility to express that I am sorry for the confusion about the price, and for the error. That's all I can do.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
No, more like the ridiculousness of this woman with a luxury car who couldn't part with a dollar.

It's funny.

And honestly, who cares if I have class envy? You keep saying that like it's some horrible thing. Who cares?
How often do you go into any store and willingly pay more than something actually costs? How often should anyone, regardless of the type of car they drive?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,663,170 times
Quote:

It's funny.

If it's priced wrong, and a customer wants to pay the correct price, it has no bearing on what their financial status is. In fact, what kind of car she drives is nobody's business. You're a cashier there to serve her, not make some judgement about her being able, but unwilling to, "part with a dollar".

I hope whatever your long term career goals are they don't involve working with the elderly, the financially well off, children, or people in general.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,000,959 times
I have a sibling who sadly does this same stuff, as a cashier, saying "They are so cheap. Look what they are driving". She hates retail, would not return to school after 20 years as a SAHM, and just passed her ninth anniversary as a cashier. She'll be one until she is physically unable to work or until the store closes (it is under-performing). Sound familiar?

Old 02-08-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
There's nothing I can do to correct it except to apologize to the customer and say that no, I won't honor the price, because that is not the price of the item they have. All I can do is apologize sincerely.

There's really no other way to take care of the problem. If someone picked up a pair of $30 shoes that were sitting on top of a $12 sign, all I can do is tell them I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do. Pay what it costs, or I'll be happy to take it and you can be on your way.

I agree that it is my responsibility to express that I am sorry for the confusion about the price, and for the error. That's all I can do.
Really? The computer for the company is completely error free? No employee ever put a product in the wrong pile or mislabeled an item? What about calling a manager, or can you only do that if you're being held up at gunpoint? Somebody needs to correct the error, not just apologize for it - who would that be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment