Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:51 PM

75 posts, read 124,699 times

Advertisements

I make a good living in a blue collar field. Got my GED at 17 and got a trade certificate. Have worked for myself, big companies, small companies and now will be managing a construction crew.

I have twin boys in grade school, and to be honest I would be a little bummed if they went into an office job or anything academic besides maybe a physician. I know that accountants and such are needed, but for some reason I just think in the grand scheme of things, jobs where you sit at a desk and play with numbers and where a tie are less repectable than people who actually use their physical skills. When your build something you're actually creating something tangible. I would encourage my kids to not go to college and instead do a trade, go work in a factory etc. I think those kind of things are much more valuable skills and I would honestly feel like a failure if all my son wanted to be was "Max Jr. MBA" who wears a suit and writes memos and uses linkedIn. Me and my wife discussed it, and unless the boys are gonna go for pre-med/nursing or something like construction mgmt..college doesn't get paid for and no loans get cosigned. Of course they can do what they want, but I don't want to pay for something that I don't really respect. I would be happier if they did like me and went for the GED and then trade school and then I would support them financially until they were able to take care of themselves, and would even probably be able to get them jobs. I want to raise men who have useful skills, not little employees for the dilbert life.

Had this discussion around my sister (who went to school for a boring pencil pusher degree and is now gonna be living in Chicago doing the 9-5 and going to just be another face in rush hour crowds instead of someone with a skill) and she said that me and my wife are messed up for feeling that way. What is your opinion?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:55 PM

2,683 posts, read 2,192,317 times
I'd say its normal for a father to want his sons to follow in his footsteps, particularly if he's happy with what he's done in life. But the best way to go, IMHO, is to go ahead and tell your kids what you think, but also tell them that you'll support them in whatever they want to do, as long as its honest work. Everybody has their own particular talents.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I'm just wondering if not encouraging my kids to do the college thing makes me a bad dad

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-14-2015 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 01:09 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,495,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFromPhilly View Post
I make a good living in a blue collar field. Got my GED at 17 and got a trade certificate. Have worked for myself, big companies, small companies and now will be managing a construction crew.

I have twin boys in grade school, and to be honest I would be a little bummed if they went into an office job or anything academic besides maybe a physician. I know that accountants and such are needed, but for some reason I just think in the grand scheme of things, jobs where you sit at a desk and play with numbers and where a tie are less repectable than people who actually use their physical skills. When your build something you're actually creating something tangible. I would encourage my kids to not go to college and instead do a trade, go work in a factory etc. I think those kind of things are much more valuable skills and I would honestly feel like a failure if all my son wanted to be was "Max Jr. MBA" who wears a suit and writes memos and uses linkedIn. Me and my wife discussed it, and unless the boys are gonna go for pre-med/nursing or something like construction mgmt..college doesn't get paid for and no loans get cosigned. Of course they can do what they want, but I don't want to pay for something that I don't really respect. I would be happier if they did like me and went for the GED and then trade school and then I would support them financially until they were able to take care of themselves, and would even probably be able to get them jobs. I want to raise men who have useful skills, not little employees for the dilbert life.

Had this discussion around my sister (who went to school for a boring pencil pusher degree and is now gonna be living in Chicago doing the 9-5 and going to just be another face in rush hour crowds instead of someone with a skill) and she said that me and my wife are messed up for feeling that way. What is your opinion?
What your kids do about college and their career is up to them, not you, and they will be just fine without your clenched fist. I agree with your sister.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:10 PM

2,683 posts, read 2,192,317 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Sons need their father's support as much as, if not more than, his advice.
Besides, not all professions that require a college education fit your views. What if your son told you he wanted to go to West Point? Or become a civil engineer?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-14-2015 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 01:11 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,647,980 times
OP, I think you should encourage your children to follow their passions. Your passion is doing blue collar work - your twin sons may have different passions. They're still in grade school and children change their minds a lot from grade school to college. I think right now your main focus should be letting your boys explore what interests them and see where it can take them.

However, I wouldn't suggest getting a GED. I graduated high school and graduated college; so I can't say where a GED/high school diploma only will get people in the future - no one can predict these things. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and want to get out badly. I work in a library part time now and looking for a 2nd job (full time) to gain experience and save for a move to the Midwest. I love the Midwest. I don't think you should look down upon your sister (as she shouldn't look down upon you) - she's following her heart's desires: if that's what she wants to do and it makes her happy, let her do it. I say that about everyone: if people enjoy what they're doing, making a living, and contented as they can be... I think that's all that matters.

I also wouldn't suggest going to really expensive schools, even to be a doctor. Unless you come from some sort of privilege, you would be in debt for the rest of your life. I went to a state college and commuted, which is cheap. I didn't accrue a lot of debt. I think right now your main concern is letting your young boys explore their interests. Things change in 10 years or so. I remember wanting to be a teacher when I was 6-8... then a doctor, then a baker, etc.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM

10,994 posts, read 20,638,189 times
I think that you should encourage your sons to study, learn all they can. Then, when they are Juniors in high school, evaluate their skills and interests. For example in your field there is a college program called building science (note that I didn't say architect). Those graduates can earn real money. There is nothing wrong with the trades, plumbers actually are less impacted by construction activity than electricians. Take a look at the engineering programs at the maritime academies, their graduates operate power plants on land and at sea. None of those occupations can be off-shored.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:16 PM

8,444 posts, read 4,778,534 times
I've had jobs that were blue collar and jobs that were white collar and the people I tended to respect the least were the ones who looked down on people who were "wearing the other collar". Well, them and people who were willfully incompetent. Since your contempt is aimed at the people in the white collar I'll just bring up the fact that not all office type jobs are useless memo pushing jobs, especially when you consider engineering or science based careers. I'd try to consider what their natural talents were before trying to influence their educational or job training decisions. With my own kids, as long as they don't choose X-box or Playstation as their life's focus, I'll be happy if they are.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:18 PM

6,489 posts, read 7,849,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFromPhilly View Post
[Snip.]I'm just wondering if not encouraging my kids to do the college thing makes me a bad dad
I guess I thought it was obvious but OK.

If your kids want to be Mr. Max Jr, MBA, then not encouraging them to do that would make you a bad dad.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-14-2015 at 11:08 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What your kids do about college and their career is up to them, not you, and they will be just fine without your clenched fist. I agree with your sister.
But I mean, what does a business analyst actually create for the world? Hands on kind of work has been useful since the beginning of time. Office work is essentially manipulating numbers. They can do whatever they want as adults. But i just won't pay for it. If they went to West Point or the police academy it's one thing but to do something like a business degree its phooey. Engineering too, I have worked with engineers and they essentially just draw things and we build them. I just hate the idea of wearing a suit and tie and sitting at a desk it's not how a free man lives. Again they can do whatever they want but college is expensive and they won't qualify for aid and I won't put loans up..

And what's wrong with a GED? A HS diploma is what? After reading, writing and arithmetic most school things are pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment