Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:58 AM

19 posts, read 18,968 times

Advertisements

Two months ago: I sent an email to the hiring manager about a posting with my resume attached.

Last week: I receive an email from nowhere after no response for the past two months.
"Hi Tabloo – are you still in the market and have interest in company XYZ?"

I replied:

"Hi James - Thank you for the email. Could you tell me more about the position and where it is based out of? I am very interested in company XYZ."

I asked about the position because it's a large global organization with many offices. I already know which office this guy works out of and it isn't my ideal choice so I wanted to confirm.

He replied:
"It's the XYZ position you applied for. I'm Des Moines based but location is flexible"

I replied:
"Yes, I am very interested in the XYZ position. Would you like to set up a call for sometime next week?"

He replied with no additional information:
"OK"

So I replied to his OK with:
"Do you have any availability on Monday or Wednesday? Please let me know which time slot works best for you and the number that I can reach you at."

No response since
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Don't worry about it. Move on. Most recruiters these days are fakes or flakes.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:06 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I have to say, not knowing what position he was contacting you about is kind of like me calling an online potential date who sent me his contact info, and him saying "could you remind me which girl you are and where you live?" It might have come off like you were spreading yourself so thin you couldn't keep track of where you were applying and the contact people there.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Just move on, it means that they either found someone else, or the position has been filled.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:58 AM

19 posts, read 18,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have to say, not knowing what position he was contacting you about is kind of like me calling an online potential date who sent me his contact info, and him saying "could you remind me which girl you are and where you live?" It might have come off like you were spreading yourself so thin you couldn't keep track of where you were applying and the contact people there.
Well, the hiring manager emailed me out of the blue after 2 months with no response so I had no idea if it was for that position or some other opening.

I also asked about the location because Des Moines is not somewhere I want to move to and wanted to see if it was a position at another office location, but I could see how my email could've sounded that way.

Anyway, I will send one follow-up then move on. :/

Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times
Exclamation Never Heard Back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabloo View Post
Two months ago: I sent an email to the hiring manager about a posting with my resume attached.

Last week: I receive an email

"Do you have any availability on Monday or Wednesday?

Please let me know which time slot works best for you and the number that I can reach you at."

No response since
Tabloo....Hello....

What I'm about to say won't rub well with anyone here but something you said caught my attention and it seems thinly possible what you said rubbed the recruiter wrong. If I am incorrect about this -and I hope I am- it still would be a good idea to keep in mind what I'm saying....

"Do you have any availability on Monday or Wednesday"

....might have been a mistake since it is traditional to ask the recruiter what day s/he wants to talk to you and then go with it.

By specifying in advance when you are available, it may have rubbed the recruiter wrong that you seemed to be controlling the conversation.

You guys might think this is a reach but believe me, anything can happen and sometimes does.

Next time, if at all possible, endeavor not to put conditions on when you are available. Recruiters like to think they are in charge and when we run into someone with their own agenda, so to speak, it is necessary to remind ourselves others are who they are and we have to allow for this. For those recruiters who want it all their way, they may not want to give space to people who seem to be their own person.

In a short conversation, it may not be possible to determine the mentality of a recruiter who calls but it might pay to at least keep this in mind for next time.

For executives, it is understood the applicant may have multiple interviews scheduled and a mature recruiter will recognize this and not cop an attitude when the applicant specifies windows of availability but for medium and lower level positions, a Millennial-minded recruiter -particularly an in-house corporate recruiter- might take offense at what you said since such people tend to think the world revolves around them.

An external, 3rd party recruiter won't be in such a hurry to knock the board over, disrupting the playing pieces since their commission is on the line but for a salaried in-house recruiter, that person might feel they have the space to disrupt a process/indulge their ego since they are salaried and life goes on whether or not they fill a position [in a timely fashion].

Bottom Line: Recruiters have egos and like to run things/have control.

Paul.......

Last edited by HeadhunterPaul; 05-09-2015 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: additional text

Old 05-09-2015, 12:50 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
"Do you have any availability on Monday or Wednesday"

....might have been a mistake since it is traditional to ask the recruiter what day s/he wants to talk to you and then go with it.
This was exactly what I thought. You changed the direction/control of the conversation with that email, and you've also limited the times you're available to talk which might suggest you're really not that interested in the job after all.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:

Last week: I receive an email from nowhere after no response for the past two months.

I replied:

"Hi James - Thank you for the email. Could you tell me more about the position and where it is based out of? I am very interested in company XYZ."

I asked about the position because it's a large global organization with many offices. I already know which office this guy works out of and it isn't my ideal choice so I wanted to confirm.

He replied:
"It's the XYZ position you applied for. I'm Des Moines based but location is flexible"

I replied:
"Yes, I am very interested in the XYZ position. Would you like to set up a call for sometime next week?"

"OK"

"Do you have any availability on Monday or Wednesday? Please let me know which time slot works best for you and the number that I can reach you at."

No response since

You still may hear from him, but look at the bolded statements above. You reversed roles when you asked these questions, instead of letting him ask you. That is never a good idea. By asking questions that you should have waited for him to ask you, you took took control of the conversation, as though you were the one in charge. I know it seems like a minor thing, but it could have made him feel uncomfortable, or come across as pushy.

I would have said, "Yes, I'm very interested in the position. What is the next step?"

Keep us posted - you may still get a call.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
If the only time open was to on Thursday or Friday as an example, when you said you were available only on Monday or Tuesday, you just took yourself out of consideration.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:

I replied:

He replied:

I replied:

"OK"

No response since

Nothing you can do at this point but move on and if he calls back then try to schedule the interview. Next time if you get a email like that just say yes and what time so you can get the interview and find out about the company once you meet with the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment