Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:34 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,945,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
$!2 is simply while a student, and in a low COL, that is around $15-18/hour in a larger urban region.

Plus, the value of the free education they are being given should be considered by them as salary on top of current pay.
I don't want to knock college but I think it has been oversold to the point that getting a degree in "anything" can open the road to future earnings. We all know this simply isn't the case and for to many college graduates all college has got them is a lifetime of paying off student loans.

College isn't for everyone and it wasn't for me. I tried it and hated every second of it. The saddest thing about the millennial generation is they've been steeped in the idea that college is a must or you are doomed to a lifetime of failure and that is just so sad, so wrong on so many levels,

$12/hour isn't bad at all for the Lexington area and it isn't the amount but where you live.

$12 in Lexington is equivalent to a little more than $18 in Los Angeles, $20.50 in San Jose, a little over $17 in Seattle and a little over $23 in Brooklyn, New York. Sounds perfect for someone in their 20's starting out.. get paid to get a degree and work for a company that will build their schedule around your school schedule.

“We can’t just go out and throw up some ads and hire some skilled people. They’re not out there.”
-Dennis Dio Parker

I design fire sprinkler systems and our industry is so short on qualified/certified people it isn't even a joke anymore. Two years ago this month we hired a trainee, I actually met him right here in this very CD forum, and we started him out at $12 which in our area would be equivalent to $18 in Los Angeles. Around here you can get a very decent two bedroom apartment for $600. He's been getting regular raises and earlier this month he earned a $3 raise to $20 which is equivalent to $27.50 in Seattle. This is for a two year degree and 24 years old.

About one year from now he goes for his certification and when he passes that it's an instant $10 raise to at least $30. 25 years old and the equivalent to $83.5k compared to Seattle.

Average Salary for Certification: National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET)

The salaries are pretty dead on around the country and the interesting thing about this is someone with an associate degree could easily earn more than someone with a bachelors. Fact is they do and in our industry a degree doesn't do much to impress. What we look for, and the only thing that counts, is the ability to use AutoSprink a skill that takes four to five years.. two years techncial college followed by two to three years OJT will get you there.

Pretty neat program, everything is 3D and you can actually tour the building before it's built.

Getting job offers is pathetically easy as in I'm nearing 67 and wouldn't have a problem not because I am so great and special but there just isn't anyone else that can do it. This is why our trainees, and I shouldn't call him that anymore, get treated very well because everyone knows he'd get a job offer in 20 minutes if he looked. Not kidding about the 20 minutes either. If he cold called someone they would talk to him because someone with the skill set never calls and I really want to retire soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:52 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
$12 an hour is equal to $11.77 an hour in San Antonio (where I'm from and I remember making roughly that amount). It's an okay wage for the short-term. You can afford a cheap apartment, but you'd have to be extra careful about not ending up in a bad neighborhood. You'll be living paycheck to paycheck and probably won't be able to afford health insurance unless you get ACA subsidies. However, if you're making $12 an hour part-time, then you're going to be in poverty without some kind of assistance.

Quote:
A sponsored student gets a part-time job with the sponsoring company. Wages vary. Toyota pays $12 an hour to start, and students can earn raises every six months based on their work performance and their grades in school. Toyota’s Dennis Dio Parker says the goal is for students to finish the program debt-free.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:18 PM

34,074 posts, read 17,112,870 times
Given how little the employees are providing in the way of previously acquired skills, $12 is generous.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:50 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,933,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Given how little the employees are providing in the way of previously acquired skills, $12 is generous.

The company claims they cannot find workers with the right skill set. What happens when there is a shortage of something in a free market economy? Hence why many call BS on these "labor shortages".

For the record, smaller publicly traded auto part suppliers in this area were paying $14 bucks an hour in 2004. I don't recall them having too much trouble enticing reasonably intelligent young people to learn a new occupation. So why should $12/hr be considered "generous" by anyone in 2015???

Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM

34,074 posts, read 17,112,870 times
$12 for unskilled, which is what these employees are walking in, is generous. Especially considering small auto suppliers benefits cannot compete with Toyota's. Nor the potential career paths at each employer.

This is a golden once in a lifetime opportunity for these unskilled workers.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
$12 an hour is equal to $11.77 an hour in San Antonio (where I'm from and I remember making roughly that amount). It's an okay wage for the short-term. You can afford a cheap apartment, but you'd have to be extra careful about not ending up in a bad neighborhood. You'll be living paycheck to paycheck and probably won't be able to afford health insurance unless you get ACA subsidies. However, if you're making $12 an hour part-time, then you're going to be in poverty without some kind of assistance.
???

A student working part time and is able to afford their own apartment with no room mates? And you are complaining that it is a bad wage? And yes, like you said, okay for the short term, as in the term of being a student?

When mcdonald workers are protesting for 15/hr and no other advancements, this job provides them with the money they want, and a way for them to get an actual career. I dont see why you guys are so focused on 12/hr. Yes it is low, and the people doing it wouldnt even be making that much, much less have a shot at moving up the ladder

You guys didnt think they would start them out at skilled salaries did you?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
???

A student working part time and is able to afford their own apartment with no room mates? And you are complaining that it is a bad wage? And yes, like you said, okay for the short term, as in the term of being a student?

When mcdonald workers are protesting for 15/hr and no other advancements, this job provides them with the money they want, and a way for them to get an actual career. I dont see why you guys are so focused on 12/hr. Yes it is low, and the people doing it wouldnt even be making that much, much less have a shot at moving up the ladder

You guys didnt think they would start them out at skilled salaries did you?
$12 an hour full-time is enough to afford an apartment, not part-time. If you're working for 20 hours a week, for example, that is only $12,480 per year (based on working 1040 hours in 52 weeks). That is the equivalent of $1,040 per month. Apartments usually want you to make three times the rent. Basically, you can only afford $346.67 per month for rent. The cost of living in Kentucky is not that low.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:40 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,967,802 times
This $12he stuff sounds decent for some but don't forget there's probably no pension involved in the employment package. Where is that $12hr person going to get the funds to fund a retirement program long term?

Old 05-16-2015, 10:55 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,550,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
This $12he stuff sounds decent for some but don't forget there's probably no pension involved in the employment package. Where is that $12hr person going to get the funds to fund a retirement program long term?
Ugh yeah.... did you get a pension for going to school?

Old 05-17-2015, 02:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,166,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Anyone in SA making $12 per hour PT needs to go get a second job, unless they're enrolled FT in school. Also, splitting rent on an apt would be a good idea, considering that wage and what apts rent for around here.

And anyone at the Toyota plant is making MUCH more than $12 per hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment