Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:32 AM

14 posts, read 13,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
These are not assembly line jobs. They are advanced manufacturing tech positions. They are trained in areas like hydraulics and pneumatics, electrical maintenance, and other areas necessary to keep a modern plant operational. Not all will be guaranteed a job. They will get experience, along with an associates degree, which they can take anywhere. Finding people with all of those skills is next to impossible these days.

Is it better than slinging BBQ? Absolutely. Fact remains, when I served my apprenticeship, we were paid $14 to start. We got raises because we belonged to a union. That was over a decade ago. If a company wants to know why they can't find workers with advanced skill sets, it usually because they do not provide enough incentive to learn.

$12 bucks an hour does not scream bright future. I've worked for the big companies. I know the promises. I also know how job training programs are a valuable tool to bring in cheap labor. I've seen it happen. They bring hordes of young people in, and keep only the best of the best. It's not like everyone gets a prize at the end.
I strongly agree with Slowpoke_TX. Those $12/hr jobs are only part-time, student work to help the students financially while they are going to school to earn the associate's degree. Those jobs are not professional, skilled jobs that the students are going to do once they graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,173,030 times
Quote:
It's a knock off of the union apprenticeships we used to serve in the north, before the south poached all those jobs.
Bitter much?

I think you meant "before the south increased employment opportunities for its citizens by creating a favorable business climate." Greedy northern unions drove industry away by artificially inflating the cost of doing business. Southern governments recognized this and wisely created a more friendly business climate. That's not poaching, that's serving the interest of the citizens.

Quote:
Those attending the program are not guaranteed a job. There is a reason for this. To supplement the area with skilled workers, and to keep only the best of the best at Toyota. I would guestimate that less than half get offered a job at Toyota, if it's anything like comparable programs around the country.

Like I said, manufacturers do this all the time. They are strengthening their local manufacturing base, which is probably pretty nimble in the more rural settings. Kinda why you shouldn't build big manufacturing plants in the middle of nowhere. The sprawl south has been a major supply chain nightmare for many manufacturers.

I will simplify it for you... The hope of a job at Toyota is the carrot on a stick. Maybe you'll get it, or maybe you'll have to settle for $12-$14/hr at one of the local suppliers. You feelin lucky?

I earned 14 bucks an hour a decade ago doing my apprenticeship. I was guaranteed a job as part of the deal. They had no trouble finding capable and readily trained workers. When the wages tanked, all of the sudden, employers screamed skilled labor shortage... As they still are today.
You're tilting at windmills. The fact remains that the $12 per hour wage is paid only to program students; employees not enrolled in the training program are paid much higher than students.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 AM

29,856 posts, read 24,978,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Bitter much?

I think you meant "before the south increased employment opportunities for its citizens by creating a favorable business climate." Greedy northern unions drove industry away by artificially inflating the cost of doing business. Southern governments recognized this and wisely created a more friendly business climate. That's not poaching, that's serving the interest of the citizens.
So no discussion on the insane tax incentives the south provided in order to entice the facilities to move? Why should the north subsidize the south, just to have our jobs swept up from under out feet? How then will we continue to pay our share AND your share of federal taxes? The south has been a fiscal drain for decades.

Organized labor has been dead for a decade now. Indiana and Michigan are both RTW. When I lived in Chicago, I hardly ever saw union positions opened. Even still, those that existed in manufacturing paid a paltry 11-12 bucks an hour. The only time I ever heard about open positions at an automaker was in a Mexican grocery store. The ad was in Spanish. Never have I heard those positions advertised in English.

How many union shops do you think exist up here? Besides the big three, I can name maybe 2 manufacturing plants that are unionized. They pay crap. I make far more working in a non union shop.

Quote:
You're tilting at windmills. The fact remains that the $12 per hour wage is paid only to program students; employees not enrolled in the training program are paid much higher than students.
Perhaps you should take another look at what I said. I know that Toyota pays well. If a student is selected to work for them after graduation, they should do quite well.

Automotive is a very congested sector though, and very cyclical. Layoffs and plant closures are the norm compared to most industries. When the work paid better, people were more willing to enter the profession.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
So no discussion on the insane tax incentives the south provided in order to entice the facilities to move?
I'm too tired to go research it right now, but I dare say that Toyota and its on-site suppliers have generated economic impact in excess of the $227 million in subsidies that granted by the City of SA and/or Bexar County.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,978,977 times
Quote:
I'm too tired to go research it right now, but I dare say that Toyota and its on-site suppliers have generated economic impact in excess of the $227 million in subsidies that granted by the City of SA and/or Bexar County.
The metro Detroit area manufactures more automobiles than any other part of the country. Since the recession, this area has gotten roughly 50% of it's manufacturing jobs back. There would be more, except for two problems... There are help wanted signs everywhere, but high skill workers won't accept 14 bucks an hour. The other problem is, many of those professions take years to master. The retired workers have taken their skills off the market.

See all the automobile recalls lately? Auto industry is a joke. You can have it. Ask a job shop owner what it's like working for those clowns. They have done more to destroy their own industry than unions ever could have.

We have more aerospace jobs than ever up here, and they pay pretty decent. I much prefer that, as purchasing agents don't mess around. They want quality and they will pay for it. Those are jobs of the future. Automobile jobs are a path to alcoholism and chronic depression.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:56 PM

34,107 posts, read 17,172,839 times
andywire"Those attending the program are not guaranteed a job."

Which is how it should be. The best will get hired, not just the warm bodies.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:58 PM

34,107 posts, read 17,172,839 times
andywire"So no discussion on the insane tax incentives the south provided in order to entice the facilities to move? Why should the north subsidize the south, just to have our jobs swept up from under out feet?"

They aren't your jobs. Jobs belong to the corp.

PS: All states give money for corp jobs; Ct (not Southern) just gave UTC $400 mill..to stay put.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
The metro Detroit area manufactures more automobiles than any other part of the country. Since the recession, this area has gotten roughly 50% of it's manufacturing jobs back. There would be more, except for two problems... There are help wanted signs everywhere, but high skill workers won't accept 14 bucks an hour. The other problem is, many of those professions take years to master. The retired workers have taken their skills off the market.

See all the automobile recalls lately? Auto industry is a joke. You can have it. Ask a job shop owner what it's like working for those clowns. They have done more to destroy their own industry than unions ever could have.

We have more aerospace jobs than ever up here, and they pay pretty decent. I much prefer that, as purchasing agents don't mess around. They want quality and they will pay for it. Those are jobs of the future. Automobile jobs are a path to alcoholism and chronic depression.
None of that has anything to do with auto manufacturers, specifically the Texas Toyota plant, enriching the areas in which they operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment