Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 03:58 PM

81 posts, read 81,522 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I graduated from Colorado State in 2007 with a BA in Economics. I graduated with a 3.1 GPA and finished school in four years. After graduating I moved to Denver and got a job doing clerical accounting. I worked in that job until 2011, until I got laid off. After that, I went to Asia to teach English and recently returned back to the States.

Now, the point of this posting: I have had troubles re-adjusting to the reverse culture shock ($900 rents for a 1 BR apt, prices in restaurants, etc.) and have also had to deal with stagnant wages. Right now I am in Austin and found what people said to be true of Austin (a lot of jobs, but at $10-$11/hour unless you work in tech or a specialized field). Let me say that I realize things have changed in America, where nowadays it seems EVERYONE has a college degree, so the degree doesn't go as far as it used to. I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not sure where I went wrong. I thought an Econ degree would open a good number of doors, but it hasn't worked out like I thought it would. I have a strong work ethic; For example, this past week I worked 7 days at a temp job and felt so good because of it. I know there's the option of going back to school, but I've heard horror stories of people working as bank tellers with an MBA or what not. Also, I have an ESFP personality, so working in an office is often hard for me, since I naturally like to mingle and talk to people. I am 30 years old and am still trying to find a job I love, since I haven't found what I truly am looking for.

Has the work situation in America gone to "poop" over the last couple decades? Is it a tough job market all around for most millennials? I have noticed so many cities have rental prices which keep going up, but wage growth hasn't matched it. Honestly, I don't know where to go to find a successful life in the States. Do I need to re-evaluate my psyche and just "bite the bullet" and start a career in a city in which I truly like? I have a strong work ethic and would willingly work a 60 hour week, but I honestly don't know where to go to have a shot at succeeding.

I realize my posting is somewhat broad, but are there still cities in America where you can find a good job and have an affordable cost of living if you're like me, where you have an Econ degree and a varied work experience background? Or is the easy answer that any city has opportunities, but you just need to work hard and network?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
I guess what I'm getting at is I'm not sure where I went wrong. I thought an Econ degree would open a good number of doors, but it hasn't worked out like I thought it would.
well what did you really expect? You got a econ degree, then stopped looking for a job in that field after you got fired and took a teaching job. You come back with your experience outdated in econ and no teaching degree so the teaching experience counts very little.

Most cities are good but you need to work way up

American dream starts with hard work and moving up the ladder as you get experience... all other things come with time

Old 05-31-2015, 04:09 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
It's not that "everyone has a degree". It's that everyone you probably associate with or know of has one. We do have too many people with degrees though. Most jobs created in this "new economy" are low paying, don't require a degree and suck. You are correct on that assessment. They have no problem paying crap wages because people keep applying to them, and accepting the jobs. That's their fault.

Best of luck.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM

35,091 posts, read 31,339,345 times
I am also an economics major but graduated in 2010. I make about $60k in a fairly low stress, 40/hr week position and live in a very affluent suburb in Indianapolis. Houses here in Indiana are very reasonable, taxes reasonable compared to a lot of places, and wages high given the cost of living. It's not the most exciting place, but with relatively strong job growth, relatively low COL, it's a good place to make a go of it.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times
Imaginationland, USA

Old 05-31-2015, 06:41 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
well what did you really expect? You got a econ degree, then stopped looking for a job in that field after you got fired and took a teaching job. You come back with your experience outdated in econ and no teaching degree so the teaching experience counts very little.
that's pretty much it. Technically I could have minored in economics probably would have only been a few more classes. Double major would have been a bit much.

Teaching in asia is nice don't get me wrong I have a ESL certificate myself and know some that teach there...and have stayed there. The idea for many when they go there is to pay off student loans and bank money so when they come back things aren't as bad. Just keep in mind that the regs are different. Asia will easily accept credentials of teaching in the USA but not so much vice versa.

The more you can validate on a resume the better. Training programs, working with different groups etc.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

Most cities are good but you need to work way up

American dream starts with hard work and moving up the ladder as you get experience... all other things come with time
Thanks, I see what you mean. A sidenote, I got laid-off due to the fact the company was starting to go under. Saying I got fired sounds a bit too harsh. Also, "an* econ degree".

Old 05-31-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am also an economics major but graduated in 2010. I make about $60k in a fairly low stress, 40/hr week position and live in a very affluent suburb in Indianapolis. Houses here in Indiana are very reasonable, taxes reasonable compared to a lot of places, and wages high given the cost of living. It's not the most exciting place, but with relatively strong job growth, relatively low COL, it's a good place to make a go of it.
Thanks for the helpful reply! That sounds like a good place.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
that's pretty much it. Technically I could have minored in economics probably would have only been a few more classes. Double major would have been a bit much.

Teaching in asia is nice don't get me wrong I have a ESL certificate myself and know some that teach there...and have stayed there. The idea for many when they go there is to pay off student loans and bank money so when they come back things aren't as bad. Just keep in mind that the regs are different. Asia will easily accept credentials of teaching in the USA but not so much vice versa.

The more you can validate on a resume the better. Training programs, working with different groups etc.
Thanks for the helpful advice!

Old 05-31-2015, 06:56 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Pockets of prosperity exist around the world. Everyone likes to talk about how global the economy is today. I wonder why microeconomics is so often ignored and unappreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment