Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,645 times

Advertisements

I need ideas. I'm bored and unchallenged. Days drag. I can't take it here anymore, my soul is being crushed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 10:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
I need ideas. I'm bored and unchallenged. Days drag. I can't take it here anymore, my soul is being crushed.
Financial System Manager. When I get bored, I start writing programs to automate the parts of my job that I find annoying to deal with. Once I have those programs, I automate how I execute them.

The end result is that annoying tasks can now be done via an app I built on my phone.

My end game is to be able to my job on a beach with just my cell phone... but I think that's still a while away. Still I find it to be a good way to pass the time when it's quiet.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Financial System Manager. When I get bored, I start writing programs to automate the parts of my job that I find annoying to deal with. Once I have those programs, I automate how I execute them.

The end result is that annoying tasks can now be done via an app I built on my phone.

My end game is to be able to my job on a beach with just my cell phone... but I think that's still a while away. Still I find it to be a good way to pass the time when it's quiet.
Interesting. I work in trade management.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:09 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
When I was in that situation, a long time ago, I invested in audio tapes (that's how long ago it was! lmbo!) from Barbra Sher. She explains that in order to enjoy what you do, figure out what you're good at, what you enjoy and try to figure out how you can work that into a career. For me it was proofreading. I was a clerical temp, but I told all the agencies, I love proofreading, editing, English, I'm great at it, etc., etc. and voila, I got a job at a newspaper that last almost a decade. Now, I work in the health care field, and I'm still proofreading/editing.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,404 times
After years of retail/customer service Hell, I found a job as a Direct Support provider. I feel like I've finally found what I was meant to do.

I support adults with DD/PD and I absolutely love it. These people are the essence of what is good and pure in this world and I can honestly say that I've grown to love the folks I support. They deserve 100% of all I can give them and that is exactly what I aim for every day I go to work.

It can be exhausting, frustrating at times, but what nullifies those rare feelings is the moment you make one of them laugh, or smile.

Yes, I know this sounds very kumbaya lol...but it can be sometimes. My residents are someof the coolest people I've ever met and after 30 plus years of customer service, and serving some absolutely horrible spoiled customers, my general feelings towards our species was at an all time low.

I found this job at a time where I NEEDED to know that there ARE good people with giving hearts actually living on this planet.

The hours are full time, the bennies very good. The managers are good, REAL people (how often does THAT happen ? Lol), the only downside is the pay. It would be nice to make a little more, but I come home feeling good and that's HUGE to me.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Engineering and construction management. I do both design and run construction projects. In the trade, I'm called a resident engineer.

I've been working on a computer software that automates some things I do. The department of transportation, the tollway authority here, as well as the corporate heads in my company have been impressed by my demos of the software. I'm hoping that eventually this software will mature enough to be adopted as a standard for construction engineers. Then I can retire to my own island.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Engineering and construction management. I do both design and run construction projects. In the trade, I'm called a resident engineer.

I've been working on a computer software that automates some things I do. The department of transportation, the tollway authority here, as well as the corporate heads in my company have been impressed by my demos of the software. I'm hoping that eventually this software will mature enough to be adopted as a standard for construction engineers. Then I can retire to my own island.
I considered a career in CM about a year ago

Old 07-13-2015, 03:29 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
I considered a career in CM about a year ago
Just keep in mind it is not all fun in CM. a mistake could cost tens or hundreds of thousands. The guy in management I recently replaced cost the company about $500k.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
What I like is the great mix of various duties. I'm a manager in commercial and industrial real estate. Duties include managing the lease administrators and utilities management staff, system administrator for the database management/billing system, and consulting with all other departments such as construction, maintenance, engineering, finance, accounting and IT. I'm in the office most of the time but do get out and about to various properties at times.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
What I like is the great mix of various duties. I'm a manager in commercial and industrial real estate. Duties include managing the lease administrators and utilities management staff, system administrator for the database management/billing system, and consulting with all other departments such as construction, maintenance, engineering, finance, accounting and IT. I'm in the office most of the time but do get out and about to various properties at times.
yep, that sounds pretty damn awesome. recently bought a real estate finance textbook to start learning the ins and outs and hopefully get a role on the acquisitions side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment