Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times

Advertisements

heh heh heh! you sound like MY kinda guy! i woulda thunk of this plan a while back before accepting the job though. now, your best imo would be to actually pay a lawyer and ask him the best way to do this. the joe shmoes here are just that. they won't be able to guide you professionally. go to a lawyer who counsels with job loss and unemployment stuff. it's worth a hundred or two for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:24 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
1. Put together a resume.
2. Apply for jobs.
3. Interview.
4. Accept offer for a new job.
5. Leave your old job.

Do that instead.
no

Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserable at work View Post
I was working my dream job for almost five years and thought I could stay there until I retired. But a new manager came in and laid off most of the old management team and I was out.

I got nervous and accepted the first job that was offered to me after being on jobless benefits for one month. What a terrible mistake. The new job is terrible and the boss yells at me all the time and uses many four letter words. I would like to quit but can't go back on jobless benefits if I quit.

I want to be fired but in such a way that I would be eligible for jobless benefits again. My friends tell me that I stop working hard or am involved in any misconduct I will be ineligible to go back on unemployment. They think the best way to get fired is to try hard to do a good job but complain to the next level boss about my supervisor. And if he does not do anything, then move up the chain of command and keep complaining. There are four levels above my supervisor.

They will call me a complainer and lay me off. But because I follow company procedure I will still be eligible for jobless benefits. What do you think?
I can tell you're very young, they will not lay you off, they will find a way to fire you, as with any job you are employed at the discretion of your employer. If the new boss is being abusive or harassing you, document it, through HR, or record it, he would then be violating labor laws and you could sue him or the company. If they are forcing you to work longer days than you were originally hired and paid for, they would be in violation of your original contract when you were hired. Do you have any original paperwork from when you were hired? Even an employee handbook is an implied contract. Either way, it can get ugly and take time, perhaps the most expedient and sensible route is too find a better job pronto.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM

166 posts, read 186,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I can tell you're very young, they will not lay you off, they will find a way to fire you, as with any job you are employed at the discretion of your employer. If the new boss is being abusive or harassing you, document it, through HR, or record it, he would then be violating labor laws and you could sue him or the company. If they are forcing you to work longer days than you were originally hired and paid for, they would be in violation of your original contract when you were hired. Do you have any original paperwork from when you were hired? Even an employee handbook is an implied contract. Either way, it can get ugly and take time, perhaps the most expedient and sensible route is too find a better job pronto.
Actually this is true, you need to report it to HR that your boss is abusing you by cursing at you etc. Maybe HE will get fired and you will get a nicer manager next time.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 AM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think people like you are the reason why this country is in a mess. Always looking for the easy way out and don't have any personal responsibility.
Of course has nothing to do with his new boss treating him like a POS. He's just supposed to accept that.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 AM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Of course has nothing to do with his new boss treating him like a POS. He's just supposed to accept that.
Agreed, the OP does not have to accept an abusive manager. But the OP's plan to get fired is just nuts in my view.

I was in the OP's shoes a few years ago. I was working for someone exactly as the OP describes: verbally abusive, unpredictable nut job.

I hung in there until I could find another (better) job and I was working crazy hours. The OP could complain to HR but that does not always work.

The azz-whole I worked for had cycled through tons on road kill before I worked for him. One story I heard is there was a young lady right out of college that worked for him and within 2 weeks on the job she had complained to HR. What did HR do? Paid her to leave. So maybe the OP could try that.

There was an older guy who was about 30 or 35 who was working for the abusive manager. The guy stood up for himself and told the abusive manager to F off. The complaining employee was transferred to another department in the company.

I would never intentionally want to get fired. I am in a great job now and glad I hung in there until I found a new job. I certainly let HR know on my way out that the abusive manager was a motivating force to leave. They knew it before they even asked me. That said, the abusive manager is still there because he brings in a lot of revenue to the company. I did hear they have imposed a hiring freeze for this guy because they know what a loose cannon he is.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think people like you are the reason why this country is in a mess. Always looking for the easy way out and don't have any personal responsibility.
So people have to deal with abuse and just take it? How would you like it if I said "Your work is $***." "I can get trained monkeys to do your ****ing job better." And other canned lines if those sorts. What would you do in this situation? And remember, we can't just tell the boss where to get off at, that is a termination waiting tho happen and if we punch the boss, that's a termination and assault waiting to happen.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:52 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

No one here has said that.

Instead of looking for another job, which anyone in his right mind would do, the OP is scheming to get back on unemployment - so he can sit around and collect a check?

He has not mentioned getting a new job in any post on this thread.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
No one here has said that.

Instead of looking for another job, which anyone in his right mind would do, the OP is scheming to get back on unemployment - so he can sit around and collect a check?

He has not mentioned getting a new job in any post on this thread.
Judging by the screenname used, the post count and the times the op posted, I think it is a troll post rather than asking for advice in earnest.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:51 AM

464 posts, read 803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Judging by the screenname used, the post count and the times the op posted, I think it is a troll post rather than asking for advice in earnest.
I have a feeling that some Sociology and Psychology students and staff have discovered what a wonderful trove of data can be gleaned from online forums. The formula is simple: post incendiary content, sit back, analyze data. The best part, it's free. No focus groups, etc.

We've all become Pavlov's dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment