Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:40 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,573,000 times

Advertisements

Consider yourself lucky. I have worked for some truly horrible people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:08 PM

12,898 posts, read 9,158,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have been treated with nothing but dignity and respect. So when I hear people complain about their bosses, I'm left dumbfound.

It seems as though people like to exaggerate how awful their employers are. Or maybe I just have not worked for a crappy employer yet.
I understand how you feel, because for the first 20 some years of my working life, great bosses, who, like you say, treated everyone with dignity and respect.

Then, I got that boss. Until I got him, I would never have believed anyone who told me what it would be like. I probably couldn't post some of what he did due to the TOS. Even the things I could, 90% wouldn't believe me, and 10% would trigger their PTSD. What I've learned is, most people cannot relate, until they have that boss; they just can't believe what you tell them. But once you do, you'll never discount others stories of life under a boss like that again. Really changes your whole perspective.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:59 PM

366 posts, read 495,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I can't relate with the way most people describe their workplace and employers. I was just thinking about this today though... I've worked for a considerable number of employers in my 10 year run in the private sector. I have been treated with nothing but dignity and respect. So when I hear people complain about their bosses, I'm left dumbfound.

It seems as though people like to exaggerate how awful their employers are. Or maybe I just have not worked for a crappy employer yet.
I've had terrible bosses and fantastic bosses. If I were to complain about the bad ones that doesn't mean I didn't have good ones. I've worked with and for some amazing people but at the same time, I've also had my share of power hungry lunatics who were just rotten to people. Just had one awesome guy leave and another took his place who never talks to anyone and lets others take on his work. So meh.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:57 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,444,595 times
There are two kinds of people in the work and employment section: The employees who are venting their frustrations, and the managers who come on here and refute everything the employees are saying.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,010,030 times
Because employers and management are allowed to get away with anything today just so long as a profit is made. Nothing else matters anymore. It doesn't help when these companies allow a long endless list of sociopaths into power that only care about themselves and squash anyone below them that is deemed a threat. Give people an inch they take a mile and its actually ok to do those things in today's unscuplous society. Christianity, morals and religious values being taken out of our society the last few decades have also caused the workplace to be more brutal

It's anything goes and endless exploitation in the workforce today and it's Seen as perfectly fine to do today. There are no restraints placed on people in people

Last edited by DorianRo; 08-14-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 07:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,824,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think a lot of people just like to *****.
LOL truth.

I mean, who else do you whine and complain about

Old 08-14-2015, 07:48 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,192,158 times
I cant voice my frustrations directly to my boss (who is causing them), so to cope I complain to others. Well, I inform, not necessarily complain.

There's always something they could do better so something always to talk about. Even good bosses cause conflict now and then IMO.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:04 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,753,203 times
In my opinion people are confusing two different things. For the most part I have always been treated with dignity and respect (only two real bad eggs stand out).

With that said I have worked for some real morons. They have treated me well, sure but they have made some of the dumbest decisions making you wonder who they slept with to get their job.

People can be nice to you and still be worthy of complaining about.

Also, I think people complain (especially here anonymously) because it is the only place they can. Pretty much anymore you cant complain about anything at work. Every place that says they have an "open door policy" also has an "open mouth policy". If you complain at work about your boss to their bosses it just goes back to them and makes your life hell. PEople just want an outlet to vent.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:15 AM

6,598 posts, read 11,336,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think a lot of people just like to *****.
^^ This.

It's not mangers, bosses, or staff. It's just people. You gather 5 or more people and have them spend some time with each other. I guarantee people will b!7ch about each other sooner or later. It's just human nature.

I play golf every weekend and enjoy it immensely. And with me are about a dozen folks that feel the same way. We've been pals for over 5 years. Guess what, we ***** about each other all the time even though we pretty much hang out for less than a day a week.

It's no wonder people who spend 40-60 hours a week together will get on each others nerves. Especially when you add in personal agendas, money, power, respect, money, and power into it. Did I mention money and power?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 AM

4,046 posts, read 2,725,313 times
Some people actually have awful bosses, that's why. And it's always nice to be able to vent to others who might understand and empathize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment