Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:47 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times

Advertisements

I wonder if I could get ideas. My boyfriend has an english degree (minor in art) and has never used it. He took the first job he was offered when he moved out here (just to be able to survive) and stayed with it now for 13 years. He works as a grocery cashier (was in management for a few years but was tired of the inconsistent hours, etc.). We have looked into what he could do with his degree, but nothing strikes his interest. He only got that degree because it was his only interest in college (parents pushed him to go). He does like to write at times and is good at it. He has been mentioning lately it would be nice to write for a living. But, where do you start?

He has thought about teaching (both his parents were teachers and a principal), but he would have to go back to school for 2 years for his cert. He makes about what teachers make now, so he'd like to make more. He's getting older (44) and needs to do something or he will end up staying at a job he dislikes. He's such a hardworker and is always the top performer.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times
Copywriting. Journalism (work for magazine or a newspaper). If he takes some journalism classes... or business writing classes.. or technical writing classes.

Look in the occupational outlook from the government, it is online. You will find different options there.

Also, he can freelance writing, submit his work to magazines and the like. i.e. readers digest, etc. depending on what his "style" is.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
With his writing and art background, he could look into Marketing Writing (print or online). To prepare, he could take some graphic art courses (if he hasn't already), marketing courses, and some tech courses to learn some of the publishing software. To network, look into some of the national associations in this field. He could also do some volunteer work to build up his writing portfolio. Maybe he could also work on some of the store ads/promotions at the grocery store where he works?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I wonder if I could get ideas. My boyfriend has an english degree (minor in art) and has never used it. He took the first job he was offered when he moved out here (just to be able to survive) and stayed with it now for 13 years. He works as a grocery cashier (was in management for a few years but was tired of the inconsistent hours, etc.). We have looked into what he could do with his degree, but nothing strikes his interest. He only got that degree because it was his only interest in college (parents pushed him to go). He does like to write at times and is good at it. He has been mentioning lately it would be nice to write for a living. But, where do you start?

He has thought about teaching (both his parents were teachers and a principal), but he would have to go back to school for 2 years for his cert. He makes about what teachers make now, so he'd like to make more. He's getting older (44) and needs to do something or he will end up staying at a job he dislikes. He's such a hardworker and is always the top performer.

Any advice?
I have one of those and it sits in a box in the garage! I totally empathize. About 7 yrs ago, I got so tired of dead end low paying proofreading jobs that it got me, that I returned to school and got an associates in something I enjoyed. The first year, I made more than I had ever made w/my English piece of crap and I loved the field! So, I think he should forget what he used to "like" in college, I liked writing too (so I write here, LOL), and focus on what he likes NOW and perhaps return to school.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the ideas. There are some great ones. I know he should talk to a career counselor and other people as I just can't get creative anymore. I do like the ideas of taking some classes in different areas of writing, but it's a bit tough with his job as he still has scheduling problems. Everyday is different and every week is different, no consistency at all. They also don't like to make acommendations for people with schedules, even with seniority. So, that's always the barrier for not going back to school. He has always said he'd be a professional student if he could.

The marketing writing is an interesting one and I could almost see it. He really needs to sharpen his computer skills. He barely knows how to use the internet. He also loves cars and for the longest time wanted to be a car designer. He applied to the best school in the country when he was younger but it didn't happen. Now the styles are so off that there's no way he could get into it (he's stuck in the 70's styling). I think something to do with writing and cars might be good for him. I also likes poetry.

I also tell him to look deeper into his company at their main office for something interesting, but he always says he doesn't want to stay with them forever.

Thanks again for the ideas!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I have one of those and it sits in a box in the garage! I totally empathize. About 7 yrs ago, I got so tired of dead end low paying proofreading jobs that it got me, that I returned to school and got an associates in something I enjoyed. The first year, I made more than I had ever made w/my English piece of crap and I loved the field! So, I think he should forget what he used to "like" in college, I liked writing too (so I write here, LOL), and focus on what he likes NOW and perhaps return to school.
I'm sure there's a ton of people just like you and him. He actually does still like writing although he hasn't been writing much (not much time to do it). What is it that you do now? It sounds like you might be in the health field possibly. I could be making double if I continued with my AA in xray, instead of a MA in counseling.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,381,051 times
Quote:
The marketing writing is an interesting one and I could almost see it. He really needs to sharpen his computer skills. He barely knows how to use the internet. He also loves cars and for the longest time wanted to be a car designer. He applied to the best school in the country when he was younger but it didn't happen. Now the styles are so off that there's no way he could get into it (he's stuck in the 70's styling). I think something to do with writing and cars might be good for him. I also likes poetry.
There is a college somewhere in Michigan (anyone know the name?) where you can get a degree in Automobile Marketing. I've met a few people who graduated from the program and are now working in Auto Advertising in the Detroit area.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 PM

211 posts, read 979,204 times
Quote:

Any advice?
Sablebaby:

Please see my response under the copywriter / writer thread. I listed some ideas and website links. It may be of help to him!!

Believe it or not, English is a well-rounded degree. Corporations like candidates with an English degree because they can actively contribute to the marketing and PR groups (as several posters above mentioned).

Good luck!

Kindly,
Cleveburg

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
There is a college somewhere in Michigan (anyone know the name?) where you can get a degree in Automobile Marketing. I've met a few people who graduated from the program and are now working in Auto Advertising in the Detroit area.
It's probably CCS (College of Creative Studies), basically #2 for auto design. We went up there once for an info session. Good idea though, but maybe closer to home.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
Sablebaby:

Please see my response under the copywriter / writer thread. I listed some ideas and website links. It may be of help to him!!

Believe it or not, English is a well-rounded degree. Corporations like candidates with an English degree because they can actively contribute to the marketing and PR groups (as several posters above mentioned).

Good luck!

Kindly,
Cleveburg
I did run across that thread and looked at the links. Some great ideas, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment