Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 10:13 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,952 times

Advertisements

I am curious. If you lived further away from a job, lets say had an hour commute or longer each way. Does that affect your ability to receive promotions, to receive better pay, or to be an effective employee? Would you be passed up for senior or management level positions due to the distance, even if you made it to work everyday on time?

I do know some people do commute an hour or more each way for their work, and I have just started doing this as well, and I thought it would be helpful to hear if your distance from work had any unforeseen negative impacts on your career and earnings. Thanks for any input!

edit: I just spoke with a friend who said she knew an employee who commuted an hour and a half each way to work at one of her old companies and the bosses loved him because they saw his willingness to commute that distance as being loyal, responsible, dedicated, and serious about the job. I guess it maybe could be seen positively by some employers.

edit 2: I guess one could view it negatively as it would make you more prone to issues getting to and from work. More chance of bad weather, accidents, road work, etc - all slowing down your commute so much it might take you 2-3 hours to get to work instead of 1.

Last edited by the_grimace; 01-23-2016 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 10:19 PM

920 posts, read 932,222 times
In our area, this is the average commute
I guess it depends upon your job description and how much they like you

Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
Not corporate, but I commute one hour and fifteen minutes to work each day and two colleagues (the job is at a school) commented favorably (and sincerely, IMHO), one saying that she was thankful that I did so on behalf of students and another saying that that was quite a commute and that I was quite dedicated to my work with the students.

I have since begun to carpool with other colleagues for three days so it is less of a stress on me (or my car).

Negative impacts on my career- no. My situation is different, I am retired and took this position on as an independent contractor. Earnings? All good, which makes the commute not so daunting.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,867,684 times
1 hour is average in many areas

Old 01-24-2016, 01:15 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
If you're a police officer or fire fighter it sure could. For most jobs, no. I read an article about how a city 200 km away from a major capital is drawing new residents who work there because a rail line improvement will bring it only about an hour ride away. (Bath and London, in case you're curious).

Old 01-24-2016, 01:55 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
I believe it would only affect you negatively if being part of the community was important to the job (e.g., a public servant who might be looked down upon for not residing in the area) or if the distance caused you to not do your job appropriately (e.g., late, can't show up to meetings). Otherwise, as others have said, an hour commute really isn't outlandish and shouldn't have a negative impact on your job status. Some may be impressed by your dedication, others will just feel it's your duty.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Work 40 miles from home. Only thing I could see is picking up extra shifts. It's easier for someone living 10 minutes away can you come in we need you compared to someone living 40 away. Especially during storm's I don't drive in unless I have to.

Feel that has a negative impact on my career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment