Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,579,737 times

Advertisements

is there anything preventing companies from laying people off as far as something like taxes go.

i know that in most states you can be fired for any or no reason but i think i remember signing a personnel document that stated i can only be terminated for negligence or fraud (and probably layoff as well).

but when we buy companies, some of my good co-workers would be layed-off. is there some sort of penalty they would have to pay or does firing someone mean the same thing as laying them off in this context ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
The penalty for laying off or firing workers is typically morale/reputation and monetarily higher unemployment premiums when the worker files for UI plus whatever severance the company offers.

Firing usually means for cause ie the worker did something wrong and laid off usually means lack of work or funds for the worker.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:06 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
When a company changes ownership, the NEW owners are only obligated to retain the current employees for 30 days.

Then they can stay on or be layed off w/o any penalties by law. Any old agreements by the old MGMT is lost.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 AM

so even if i cant be fired without cause i can still be layed-off ?

can the cio's nephew take my position the next week ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Firing usually means for cause ie the worker did something wrong and laid off usually means lack of work or funds for the worker.
it seems kinda' random that people are being layed-off because there is not enough work but we are hiring a lot of off-shore consultants because there is too much work for our on-site staff to handle.
i assumed there was some sort of government thing to prevent this scenario but i guess not.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-26-2016 at 10:27 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 01:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
It depends if the old company had contracts in place then those contracts have to be managed as part of the take over. You cant just throw away a bunch of legal contracts because you buy a company.

The problem is most of the employees are likely at will, so if there is even talk of merger you might as well start looking for a new job. Some people get lucky and actually come out really nice in a merger, they will survive the cuts and end up with fatty bonuses but that's rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
When a company changes ownership, the NEW owners are only obligated to retain the current employees for 30 days.

Then they can stay on or be layed off w/o any penalties by law. Any old agreements by the old MGMT is lost.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Agreed. If you want examples just look at big pharma Pfizer in particular. They buy small biotechs if they have a promising product and fire everyone. The former Wyeth employees still sell T-Shirts saying I got Pfired.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
If you work for a small company like that without being part owner or having a strong contract in place then you are foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agreed. If you want examples just look at big pharma Pfizer in particular. They buy small biotechs if they have a promising product and fire everyone. The former Wyeth employees still sell T-Shirts saying I got Pfired.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM

796 posts, read 505,652 times
Fired means they terminated u for a cause. For fired employees...it's definitely ur fault.

Being laid off means a reduction in force due to leack of work or needing to reduce. Sometimes good workers get caught in layoff. From working in a company which is none for laying off due to not getting enough govt contracts...some on layoff list are on there because of attendance, performance, having HR issues, jobs being eliminated due to consolidation, not getting along with management or simply not being best friends with management. It's scary because if ur management don't like u for any reason...U can get laid off and u can't appeal it.

Layoffs usually involves severance pay and being fired doesn't because u were fired for a reason. Layoffs doesn't have to involve a reason.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM

if a corporation is making profits; and they wanna' get rid of thousands of employees so that the stock price goes up.
is there any penalty if they lie and say they need to lay people off in order to remain profitable and make payroll.

when i was really young i used to think that a company had to file a chapter-11 before they were allowed to use the term lay-off.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM

57 posts, read 51,012 times
I got laid off a month ago and my company is most definitely still operating. When you are laid off you can file for unemployment since you were terminated through no fault of your own. I had a glowing review and was actually up for a promotion when I was laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment