Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:37 AM

37 posts, read 107,068 times

Advertisements

I think without these, we could have plenty of jobs .... And more HB1 visas are coming !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,365,027 times
not enuff people upset and get organized, i could really use a day at work without the smell of curry

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM

275 posts, read 470,131 times
lol, but good point. at such a severe time as this when americans are struggling to find jobs everyday, why are we letting foreigners stay here and keep jobs? hmm. i am for everyone having an equal go of it, but at such a time like this, shouldnt we put american citizens first before people with work visas?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,339,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikitwo8765 View Post
lol, but good point. at such a severe time as this when americans are struggling to find jobs everyday, why are we letting foreigners stay here and keep jobs? hmm. i am for everyone having an equal go of it, but at such a time like this, shouldnt we put american citizens first before people with work visas?

Because American Sheep (us) don't write, call, or email or congressman about it. If even 1 out of every 10 of us contacted our congressman, things would change.

These people are voted into office. If they allow X number of visas, and they don't hear any complaining, they think no one minds.

Instead of venting on here, send them a letter.

contact information: www.thomas.gov (as in Thomas Jefferson)

Old 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
I believe you have to have a viable skill/vacancy that Americans cannot fill before they let X amount of people in.

I hate to see anti-foreign posts..it's very small minded. This is the USA, and all people should have a chance. Yes, it annoys me sometimes that foreigners work while I am unemployed but obviously I can't do their jobs. Many are doctors and highly skilled people of this nature.

If you have never dealt with INS/Immigration and the requirements, let me tell you it is not 'a piece of cake' to get visas.

I have had direct experience with INS and several friends here on visas. One was a friend who I graduated college with. In her country she was a Professor of Education/English in a major University. She came back to the USA a few years later as a grad student. She was working in a Chinese restaurant scrubbing dishes.

Want her job?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,762,006 times
Quote:
I have had direct experience with INS and several friends here on visas. One was a friend who I graduated college with. In her country she was a Professor of Education/English in a major University. She came back to the USA a few years later as a grad student. She was working in a Chinese restaurant scrubbing dishes.
I guess she feels that scrubbing dishes in the US is better than being a professor in her native country...

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I believe you have to have a viable skill/vacancy that Americans cannot fill before they let X amount of people in.

I hate to see anti-foreign posts..it's very small minded. This is the USA, and all people should have a chance. Yes, it annoys me sometimes that foreigners work while I am unemployed but obviously I can't do their jobs. Many are doctors and highly skilled people of this nature.

If you have never dealt with INS/Immigration and the requirements, let me tell you it is not 'a piece of cake' to get visas.

Want her job?
So true. The US is a melting pot and always has been and the entry visa restrictions/requirements are numerous but infinitely more demanding since 9/11.

mnbv - from whence did your ancestors come and how long ago? I would guess you classify yourself as an American and your credentials attest to that and you're probably proud of that too. But if your great great (more great?) grandparents hadn't come here where might you be now, if anywhere?

It might come as a very big surprise to you that there ARE some professions which some American companies find impossible to hire locally as the foreign expertise is further ahead. I doubt you're old enough to remember that in the late 60s there was what was called, "The Brain Drain" where many countries competed to gather high-tech personnel from the UK because their knowledge far surpassed anything available locally. Hungry to have access to those brains, the competition ran high.

The same is true today where many professions are concerned. Something you might want to think about ...!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
I guess she feels that scrubbing dishes in the US is better than being a professor in her native country...
No, coming to the USA and getting an education (which is a big money maker in the United States--foreign students) guarantees higher pay when she returns to her country.

People from other nations often 'do whatever' to get an education. My friend is actually the child of a pretty high official but they raised her to 'do whatever' for an education.

I have no idea where this friend is now...this happened about 5-7 years ago. I have lost touch with her. She could be back in Thailand by now.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

37 posts, read 107,068 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;7418384]
quote]

It's not anti-foreign post! With the economy in such a bad shape there are lots of HIGHLY SKILLED AMERICANS struggling to find a job while HB1s "working". HB1s can work back home in their country since they are so skilled and come back later. What do you think?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,762,006 times
Quote:
It's not anti-foreign post! With the economy in such a bad shape there are lots of HIGHLY SKILLED AMERICANS struggling to find a job while HB1s "working". HB1s can work back home in their country since they are so skilled and come back later. What do you think?
I think you're right in that we need to prioritize Americans first.

From my last month hiring experience, the amount of resumes coming in just for a supposedly entry-level assistant engineering position is crazy, and they majority of the applicants are mid-level to sr-level engineer with license and advanced degrees.
Even without more competition from H1b's, these experienced professionals are already willing for entry-level salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment