Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,467 times

Advertisements

How H-1B Visas Are Screwing Tech Workers | Mother Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Cheap labor -- that makes for very nice profits for the CEO's. It's no secret that the elites want unlimited immigration no matter how high unemployment rates of Americans are. Immigration was higher than ever when unemployment rates were very high. Why pay an American $60,000 a year when it's very easy to find foreigners very pleased with making $30,000 for the same job.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,135,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cheap labor -- that makes for very nice profits for the CEO's. It's no secret that the elites want unlimited immigration no matter how high unemployment rates of Americans are. Immigration was higher than ever when unemployment rates were very high. Why pay an American $60,000 a year when it's very easy to find foreigners very pleased with making $30,000 for the same job.
Funny how certain jobs are almost completely off limits to H-1B visa holders. For example, in Investment Banking and Management Consulting, I don't know a single person who was hired for a US office position with a foreign degree. Since these firms only recruit at certain schools (Ivy League) almost no one with a foreign degree can really be hired since the hiring people never consider them anyways. Prestigious big law firms aren't any different from Investment Banking and Management Consulting when it comes to being off limits to H-1B visa holders. Unsurprisingly, the people who go after these careers are the children of the elite. Is this a coincidence? I don't think so.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Funny how certain jobs are almost completely off limits to H-1B visa holders. For example, in Investment Banking and Management Consulting, I don't know a single person who was hired for a US office position with a foreign degree. Since these firms only recruit at certain schools (Ivy League) almost no one with a foreign degree can really be hired since the hiring people never consider them anyways. Prestigious big law firms aren't any different from Investment Banking and Management Consulting when it comes to being off limits to H-1B visa holders. Unsurprisingly, the people who go after these careers are the children of the elite. Is this a coincidence? I don't think so.
I agree having worked in finance and investing, but careful with the legal reference. A lot of lower end legal and accounting now go offshore to India....of course nothing at the level of my favorite show Suits. A better question I have asked is how do US laws protect us from identity theft in India should that happen. No one has an answer for me.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,902,532 times
Jobs that require cultural context, ie, interaction with locals are hard to fill with foreign workers since they can't connect with locals in the same way a local can. Those jobs that require little or no interaction with people don't need one to be familiar with the local culture, history, language, accents etc so can be readily offered to foreign workers.

And of course, corps will try and save money wherever they can, even if it means undermining an entire profession's average salary numbers.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I agree having worked in finance and investing, but careful with the legal reference. A lot of lower end legal and accounting now go offshore to India....of course nothing at the level of my favorite show Suits. A better question I have asked is how do US laws protect us from identity theft in India should that happen. No one has an answer for me.
Seriously? I thought that anything having to do with law (including accounting) would never be outsourced? I don't even understand how that would work.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
But it's happening with manufacturing and engineering jobs every day.

Foreigners get a temporary work visa to get trained over here then.......whammo.....new facilities are built overseas and the workers go back.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,714,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Seriously? I thought that anything having to do with law (including accounting) would never be outsourced? I don't even understand how that would work.
Wow, you have been in the dark. India has been working non-stop to steal every job possible. Yes, why would an Indian national living in India study US law, tax code, accounting? Why to work at an outsourcer, that is why. They can make a decently living working at wages we consider peanuts, all the while they destroy yet another industry here in the US. The one I'm really curious about is health care outsourcing. My wife use to work for large insurance company and it seemed like they were seriously skirting privacy laws. And that is just on the paperwork side. I've heard of clinics outsourcing doctors, using web cams to have a doctor in India examine a patient. How that doesn't constitute practicing medicine without a license is beyond me.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Wow, you have been in the dark. India has been working non-stop to steal every job possible. Yes, why would an Indian national living in India study US law, tax code, accounting? Why to work at an outsourcer, that is why. They can make a decently living working at wages we consider peanuts, all the while they destroy yet another industry here in the US. The one I'm really curious about is health care outsourcing. My wife use to work for large insurance company and it seemed like they were seriously skirting privacy laws. And that is just on the paperwork side. I've heard of clinics outsourcing doctors, using web cams to have a doctor in India examine a patient. How that doesn't constitute practicing medicine without a license is beyond me.
Oh so Deloitte is sending accounting jobs to India, so the people there can audit Microsoft? THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. You have to be AT the physical location to audit a company.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM

27 posts, read 114,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Oh so Deloitte is sending accounting jobs to India, so the people there can audit Microsoft? THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. You have to be AT the physical location to audit a company.
You do realize there is more to accounting than auditing? Yeah the auditors might be here in the US but the bookkeeping and tax staff could be in india.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment