Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:56 PM

456 posts, read 1,171,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoknow000 View Post
You do realize there is more to accounting than auditing? Yeah the auditors might be here in the US but the bookkeeping and tax staff could be in india.
When most people talk about accounting, I think they mean Big4 auditing. That's what I think of. Bookkeeping is not the same as accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM

189 posts, read 362,688 times
This country needs more skilled immigrants. They should quadruple the H1-B visas.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:49 PM

159 posts, read 157,655 times
Default Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
This country needs more skilled immigrants. They should quadruple the H1-B visas.
This statement is spot on. This articles makes it sound as if H-1B visas are granted exclusively to tech workers. A variety of specialty occupations are held by holders of H-1B visa status. An important example is of course physicians - foreign physicians who have done residencies and fellowships in the states accept positions in medically underserved areas all over the country, in exchange for becoming exempt from a requirement of their J-1 exchange visitor program that they return to their home country for two years to share what they've learned.

Did you catch that? These men and women accept jobs in parts of the country that have been designated as has having a shortage of health professionals, effectively helping to shore up gaps in access to essential health services, and commit to doing practicing in the area for three years. In this light, H-1B visas don't seem to be "screwing" people quite as badly.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM

29,856 posts, read 24,972,157 times
Welcome to the new age American experience. Destroy the future of your country for a quick profit at the end of the quarter. We don't need more skilled immigrants. We need to teach our own young people how to do these jobs, and pay them enough to actually pay taxes. There is no benefit in removing opportunities for our own young citizens. Many of them are very capable of learning how to do these jobs, yet we continue to import people to take their place. Wish we could import some cheap labor management and CEOs though...

On the other end of the spectrum, we have tons of Americans in desperate need of any employment. We have plenty of work to be done, but hordes of boarder crossers doing it under the table, or for next to nothing. Honestly, I believe this is exactly what the politicians want. Notice now how the republicans are suddenly in favor of amnesty... Pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
Seriously? I thought that anything having to do with law (including accounting) would never be outsourced? I don't even understand how that would work.
Pretty much anything that doesn't involve a physical or legal requirement to take place on this chunk of dirt is getting outsourced. Engineering, accounting, law--you don't have to be an American to understand American tax laws, building codes, or pretty much anything else.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 AM

160 posts, read 507,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Cheap labor -- that makes for very nice profits for the CEO's. It's no secret that the elites want unlimited immigration no matter how high unemployment rates of Americans are. Immigration was higher than ever when unemployment rates were very high. Why pay an American $60,000 a year when it's very easy to find foreigners very pleased with making $30,000 for the same job.
Get your facts right malamute. Even the consulting companies who are responsible for getting lot of H1-B workers atleast pay $65,000/yr. Less than that most folks won't sign up to come here 'coz wages as well as comforts back home are much better than they were couple of decades ago.

This article seems to be written by a right-wing-anti-immigration-lobby with the only agenda of discrediting H1-B visa workers.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 AM

160 posts, read 507,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I agree having worked in finance and investing, but careful with the legal reference. A lot of lower end legal and accounting now go offshore to India....of course nothing at the level of my favorite show Suits. A better question I have asked is how do US laws protect us from identity theft in India should that happen. No one has an answer for me.
Why do you assume that an identity theft will happen from India? it can happen when you swipe your card on the gas station 1/2mi from your home.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:04 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
Why do you assume that an identity theft will happen from India? it can happen when you swipe your card on the gas station 1/2mi from your home.
I didn't assume anything you are. So do you want to explain then how US laws protect us?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM

27 posts, read 115,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
When most people talk about accounting, I think they mean Big4 auditing. That's what I think of. Bookkeeping is not the same as accounting.
When most people talk about accounting they talk about taxes I think. I'm just saying accounting has a pretty wide umbrella. I'm an accountant and I've done financial reporting and analysis as well.

People always think I am a tax expert when I tell them I am an accountant. Sorry to OP for hijack. Back to your normally scheduled thread.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:34 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,717,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_junta View Post
Get your facts right malamute. Even the consulting companies who are responsible for getting lot of H1-B workers atleast pay $65,000/yr. Less than that most folks won't sign up to come here 'coz wages as well as comforts back home are much better than they were couple of decades ago.

This article seems to be written by a right-wing-anti-immigration-lobby with the only agenda of discrediting H1-B visa workers.
Save your H1B propaganda. H1Bs are suppose to be paid at the prevailing wage. Do you know what that word means? If they were paying the prevailing wage then 'folks wouldn't be compainin' because that is what they already make. This is OUR country, not yours. It is not your right to have a job here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment