Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,679,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
Actually, at her job the sick hours accrued dont roll over into the following year and they get 7.30 hrs every 2 weeks. As for our oldest, shes still a teenager and even though she helps out when we are not there and at work, i dont think she could handle the baby in the state she was in from the teething, she would have drove her mad.

Also, my wife doesn't abuse her sick time. The last time she called out was around October. Another to keep in mind, I know this is probably not customary in other job fields, but in healthcare, when you call out you usually have to call out two days in a row otherwise they will mark it as an incident (i.e. calling out sick for one day and coming back the next doesn't make it seem like you're "sick" so to speak). When you call out three or more, they ask for a doc note.

You said in your original post My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain.

Now you say the last time she called out was in October? Which is it? Because in your OP it looks like she called out sick twice in this month alone, and with the last one she was out of sick time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,222,874 times
It depends on their policy. I feel the need to point out that neither of the issues you mentioned are illnesses. Does she abuse her sick time? That doesn't go over well.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Hospitals are especially picky about sick leave abuse because of the nature of the work; most of it cannot be put off until the next day so someone else is stuck doing your work. She should have been saving up her sick leave, not using it for her monthly.
That, and you really can't come to work when you are contagious and risk infecting the already ill patients.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Actually, at her job the sick hours accrued dont roll over into the following year and they get 7.30 hrs every 2 weeks. As for our oldest, shes still a teenager and even though she helps out when we are not there and at work, i dont think she could handle the baby in the state she was in from the teething, she would have drove her mad.

Also, my wife doesn't abuse her sick time. The last time she called out was around October. Another to keep in mind, I know this is probably not customary in other job fields, but in healthcare, when you call out you usually have to call out two days in a row otherwise they will mark it as an incident (i.e. calling out sick for one day and coming back the next doesn't make it seem like you're "sick" so to speak). When you call out three or more, they ask for a doc note.
How long is your teen daughter expected to babysit?

That's because the sick time is supposed to be used for actual contagious illness, not menstruation and teething.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,003,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
She should get fired. And it doesn't matter whether there is a Union or not. Employers offer so much sick time and then when it's exhausted, you have to work.
This is not universally true. Once sick time is used up, in many companies, an employee can still call in sick, they just don't get paid for it.

A lot of assumptions are being made in this thread, for example the assumption that unused sick time accrues over the years. That's not true everywhere.

But to answer the OPs "can you get fired" question....you can get fired for excessive absence anywhere, how much sick time you have is often irrelevant.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:50 AM

2,438 posts, read 7,019,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
If she hasn't called off since October, then she would still have time earned since Jan 1. At 7.3 hrs every two weeks, she would have had at least 3 days sick time. Something doesn't add up here.
He noted that the slate is cleaned every year so they start re accruing at the beginning of the year again.. In most companies they give you some sick time in the beginning.. apparently not so at this company..

Its the beginning of the year so with his 7 every two weeks that's 28 hours or close to it.. which means she has already called out almost 3 days in 2 months...

I have been to work everyday this year so far.. with no call outs... cant afford it.. even with sick leave in my bank. Just goes to show how people view the responsibility at work differently. Personally said.. I would have not called out for a "heavy" menstrual flow. That's a normal function that occurs occasionally with women. My opinion and I am sure that others have their opinion.. but its something a woman has to deal with every month.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:
My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?

It depends. How many incidents do they allow her to have before termination?

We allow 8 in a rolling year..if you have PTO you must use it (we don't have sick time, just PTO) if you don't have PTO, it goes unpaid. Either way, it's still considered an incident.

She's out of sick time? How many absences does she have??

Old 02-18-2016, 04:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,072,353 times
Quote:

Not true for all health systems. If you call out two days in a row they 'might' count it as one incident, but it's still an incident.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,162,273 times
A period and lack of babysittng are not really sick days. Neither time was she sick.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,437,956 times
Every employer is different and every HR policy handles these issues in a different way. Every State is different and handles these laws in a different way.

There's your short answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment