Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 AM

189 posts, read 362,360 times

Advertisements

Can you get fired for calling out without paid sick leave?

You can get fired for almost anything. Don't mess us, don't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,462,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

It's only February and she's already out of sick time? Your wife needs to grow up and quit coming up with lame excuses to lay out of work.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,163,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's only February and she's already out of sick time? Your wife needs to grow up and quit coming up with lame excuses to lay out of work.

Why is the poster sending his wife out to work with a newborn in the first place? maybe he should get a better paying job and let her be a SAHM

Old 02-18-2016, 10:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,432,914 times
I'm amazed there are still women in the USA who call in sick for menstrual issues in 2016. And I am a woman. With all the pain killers, hygiene products, and different birth control options available that basically reduce or eliminate even having to have a period, why would any woman not go to their doctor to figure out how to not suffer and so they don't have to waste their sick days when they aren't even sick?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:04 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,721,075 times
Quote:
My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?
Not necessarily either. They might just take it from vacation time, personal days (if any exist), or just not pay her. People get sick, and having sick nurses come to work is a bad idea, even though the "issue" in this case isn't contagious. But being sick or incapacitated to whatever extent, is not that good.

In my own experience, people who call in with sick kids seem to get an indefinite amount of sick time (which may be un-paid time). But I have never ONCE heard of anyone getting fired for having sick kids. I'm sure people have been fired for that reason, but I have never seen or heard of it personally. There just seems to be some magical exemption that exists for parents for a lot of things.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:05 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,242,067 times
Quote:
My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?
My guess is that if you work in NY, NJ, Illinois, or California you can get away with all sorts of Shiite. If you work in a right to work state, it could EASILY be the beginning of the end....

Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
I'm amazed there are still women in the USA who call in sick for menstrual issues in 2016. And I am a woman. With all the pain killers, hygiene products, and different birth control options available that basically reduce or eliminate even having to have a period, why would any woman not go to their doctor to figure out how to not suffer and so they don't have to waste their sick days when they aren't even sick?
Good for you! Every woman doesn't have your body. Many have serious health side effects from menstruating. Many medications don't work for people or the side effects are horrible. Depending on one's health and other medications they're taking, they can't take drugs x, y, and z. Some people struggle for years to find relief. It's not like there's a magical cure all pill for everyone.

I passed out last month and hit my head which resulted in a mild concussion. I was dizzy for 2 days and took a sick day because I didn't feel safe driving or being at my business alone all day. My husband was very happy I took the day off considering what happened the night before. And nothing like that had ever happened to me before.

When I was a teenager, I would spend 3 days vomiting. All I could attempt to eat were dry Cheerios and water. I couldn't even keep that down. My doctor said there wasn't anything they could do. I was on the pill and still had severe side effects. The joys of being female!

Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
My guess is that if you work in NY, NJ, Illinois, or California you can get away with all sorts of Shiite. If you work in a right to work state, it could EASILY be the beginning of the end....
In NY, you can be terminated for any reason or no reason.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:12 AM

11,328 posts, read 18,954,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Why is the poster sending his wife out to work with a newborn in the first place? maybe he should get a better paying job and let her be a SAHM
Easier said than done, especially the last few years (though the economy is improving). I guess only millionaires and people on welfare should have kids then?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:31 AM

772 posts, read 916,738 times
Quote:
Actually, at her job the sick hours accrued dont roll over into the following year and they get 7.30 hrs every 2 weeks. As for our oldest, shes still a teenager and even though she helps out when we are not there and at work, i dont think she could handle the baby in the state she was in from the teething, she would have drove her mad.

Also, my wife doesn't abuse her sick time. The last time she called out was around October. Another to keep in mind, I know this is probably not customary in other job fields, but in healthcare, when you call out you usually have to call out two days in a row otherwise they will mark it as an incident (i.e. calling out sick for one day and coming back the next doesn't make it seem like you're "sick" so to speak). When you call out three or more, they ask for a doc note.

I am lost .. . so always call out 2 days, never one day, and never three days, that way it doesn't look like your lying ?

Can you call out, saying your child is sick, and then come to work the next day ? geeze this is weird..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment