Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:17 PM

39 posts, read 56,332 times

Advertisements

My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 01:36 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
How much work does she miss? How much sick leave does she get per year? Has she been talked to about her sick leave use? Unless she has significant and long term health issues, I am not sure how a 15 year employee doesn't have a bank of sick time. No one can tell you what the hospital is going to do; we don't know their polices and past practices, nor your wife's history.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
As Joe said we don't know your wife's history.

But how does someone who has worked 15 years of employment at the same place not have any sick time left? Sounds like she takes it all the time.

Most people with that length of employment should have several weeks of sick time, unless they abuse it.

I can tell you I worked for a company that had layoffs and one of the women let go(the only one in her dept) was let go because "every time she accrued a sick day she took it". That was what came out later. So when they had to make cuts they looked at attendance.

Why couldn't you leave work and your eldest daughter watch the infant until you arrived home?

Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
How does she not have sick time in February? I doubt she will get fired for this, however you both need to work out a system where this doesn't happen again.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM

946 posts, read 775,379 times
She should get fired. And it doesn't matter whether there is a Union or not. Employers offer so much sick time and then when it's exhausted, you have to work. Unless you are major sick, like cancer, which would then be covered under FMLA.

Someone that is sick this much shouldn't be working. You should be working double time to support her because she stays sick all the time.

On a related note this is why America is going broke.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How does she not have sick time in February? I doubt she will get fired for this, however you both need to work out a system where this doesn't happen again.

Because it sounds like she abuses it. The situation I mentioned you accrued one sick day a month. The woman I mentioned apparently called in sick once a month. So every time she accrued a day she used it. Layoffs came and she was cut. Very nice woman, but I worked in a different dept and had no idea she did this.

Anytime someone calls in sick in most jobs, and especially a hospital it puts a strain on other coworkers .

Someone with a serious illness would be on disability. This woman had a baby not that long ago, based on the information shared she sounds like the type who abuses sick time. Someone with 15 years under their belt should have weeks of sick time accrued.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM

370 posts, read 504,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
My wife works for a hospital in NYC. Shes been there for like almost 15 years. They give paid sick time but have no union. My wife called out last week with her sick time due to "heavy" menstrual issues. That was the last of her sick time.

This week, she called one day (no sick time) cuz our baby girl wasnt feeling well. She was teething and in a lot of pain. I was already at work that day and she didnt want to leave our oldest daughter to watch her by herself like that. So no one else to watch her that day.

Do you think she will get fired or just a warning?
Becareful, she is missing too much work....they probably are fed up with her calling out...I don't think she will but if you are worried speak to your wife...enough of calling out.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Hospitals are especially picky about sick leave abuse because of the nature of the work; most of it cannot be put off until the next day so someone else is stuck doing your work. She should have been saving up her sick leave, not using it for her monthly.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:35 PM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Because it sounds like she abuses it. The situation I mentioned you accrued one sick day a month. The woman I mentioned apparently called in sick once a month. So every time she accrued a day she used it. Layoffs came and she was cut. Very nice woman, but I worked in a different dept and had no idea she did this.

Anytime someone calls in sick in most jobs, and especially a hospital it puts a strain on other coworkers .

Someone with a serious illness would be on disability. This woman had a baby not that long ago, based on the information shared she sounds like the type who abuses sick time. Someone with 15 years under their belt should have weeks of sick time accrued.

Unless she used it for her pregnancy and after the birth.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:53 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Unless she used it for her pregnancy and after the birth.

Lets put that to a test... if she worked there 15 years and accrued 40 hours per year (all companies accrue differently, I am merely trying to put out what "normal" sick leave, PTO, whatever your company calls it is) that would equal to 600 hours of saved sick time. Now had she taken the normal 6 weeks for baby leave (not sure could have taken more) that would equate to 240 hours.. which would leave a balance of 360 hours left. Now I am not a fool to assume that she would have never taken any sick time ever while employed but 360 hours is a lot. Also, this gets blown out of the water if the hospital she works for does not accrue sick time each year.. in that case she would have had to use short term to cover her pregnancy time.

On the question if she could get fired.. as NY is an "at will employment" state, she can lose her job, especially with no union to hold her in place. And with the above scenario and the amount of sick time she would have had to accrue.. it sounds like she pretty much calls out a lot. So yeah, if I were a gambling man.. I would have to say yeah.. she could lose her job for constantly calling off work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment