Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:43 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times

Advertisements

definitely do this,,,its a cash business,,ad you can make big bucks,,,a no brainer

have strict guidelines...

we are a poor state and the places around here always have a waiting list,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:14 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,802,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
You forgot "Pervy customers who think massage therapy is the same as sketchy massage "parlors" where the services are more akin to prostitution" (even if that has legitimate therapeutic massage has nothing to do with that and professional therapists are going to be upfront that they're professional services are nothing like that).
I have decided to be "More Professional" in my comments...

Old 03-05-2016, 07:10 PM

483 posts, read 692,578 times
My BIL was one, and joined the ranks of people who eventually developed compunction about putting his hands on strangers. If you don't mind this, then it seems like you might be able to fit yourself for a different, if interrelated, proposition in the healing arts, such as PT, which others have mentioned. This will increase your longevity and earning potential.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:41 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,337,020 times
Probably depends on the location. Massage therapists are a dime a dozen where I live in Arizona, land o' alternative healthcare. There are some excellent spa facilities in the Tucson area but their therapists are very experienced. The people with less talent or experience are competing with Asians who work for next-to-nothing at the lower-priced storefronts.

Might be quite different in places not close to any massage schools that a churning out people who think they can make a living at this. People who want to do this (or almost anything else) freelance often underestimate how hard it is to get steady customers ... and run your own business, everything from advertising to fixing your own computer to billing and doing taxes. Hours and hours of work per month, for which you aren't getting paid a penny.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,887,267 times
Massage therapists rarely make a decent living even in the good times.

When times get tough, it's even tougher on massage therapists. Let me see, shall I buy groceries this week or have an $85 massage? Hmmm?

If you want to work with people's bodies and help them get well, Physical Therapy (and assistant), and Occupational Therapy (and assistant) are more financially stable options. Insurance provides a more reliable flow of income.

A niece used to make a darn decent living doing pedicures and manicures. Now it's a hobby as she has been priced out by the competition.

She now grooms dogs. Says it's a better paying gig.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:56 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Massage therapists rarely make a decent living even in the good times.

When times get tough, it's even tougher on massage therapists. Let me see, shall I buy groceries this week or have an $85 massage? Hmmm?

If you want to work with people's bodies and help them get well, Physical Therapy (and assistant), and Occupational Therapy (and assistant) are more financially stable options. Insurance provides a more reliable flow of income.

A niece used to make a darn decent living doing pedicures and manicures. Now it's a hobby as she has been priced out by the competition.

She now grooms dogs. Says it's a better paying gig.
Becoming a massage therapist is something that crossed my mind a while ago as I was looking for something different. But based on the potential negatives, not something I wanted to do anymore. Plus I like working for others such as established companies and businesses, rather than trying to strike it on my own. That is my comfort zone, and I never had that drive and personality to try to make it on my own like that.

I think a Physical/Occupational Therapy is a good option, not exactly a massage therapist but something related and will be in demand in the future. I was also considering that but I couldn't afford not working for a few years in order to attend a proper school (which can be competitive to get into).

Old 03-06-2016, 03:56 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,130,790 times
The Physical Therapist suggestion is a good one, but I found out that that's an MA level profession. You can get a massage license in one year or less, but it takes 4 years and more to get a PT qualification. So it depends on whether you can finance that or not. But physical therapy seems to be a growing field, and probably will continue to be, with more people aging into the so-called Golden Years.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:43 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
Whenever people ask about jobs, they should also consider the long term prospects.

While massage therapist will see increasing demand, a physical therapist will see a higher demand, and also a higher average salary.

But again, the training and education required for PT is a lot more demanding and selective. It is a career I would love to done if I was younger.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:13 PM

809 posts, read 1,332,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Physical Therapist suggestion is a good one, but I found out that that's an MA level profession. You can get a massage license in one year or less, but it takes 4 years and more to get a PT qualification. So it depends on whether you can finance that or not. But physical therapy seems to be a growing field, and probably will continue to be, with more people aging into the so-called Golden Years.
A physical therapy assistant is a 2 yr program- you get a license (if you pass the exam). A PT facility can use many,many assistants.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:25 PM

467 posts, read 354,105 times
I'm just a [former] customer, and I only "know" what I've been told, but I believe that it is a rather physically demanding occupation. I have gone to several massage therapists, both referred by chiropractor and completely independent. Some have been educational, some have performed what seemed to be miracles. In a small community, I have chattered during therapy with those who knew most of the other massage therapists in the area, and the info for my initial statement emerged.

God bless all of you, some do great work, but it seems difficult. It is probably easier for men than for women, but it is probably hard on all.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment