Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 02:59 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,174,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And this post comes from a relatively stable and one who always makes sense in the forum...

Hes still stable. Just sounds like he is tired of certain things. You know how many people dream of saying bye to the rat race, crowded cities or other day to day life situations? Tens of millions. Some make smaller changes to find a better measure of of happiness, others go bold and hit the road, hop freight trains, see the country or world etc. American literature and film are full of stories like these for example from Jack Kerouac and August Wilson. Some posters have stories as well. And we all know we love reading them regardless of our position in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 03:00 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,450,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I've come to the same conclusion, though may be a children's author. I've applied to many hundreds of jobs over the past three years since graduating and have only about a handful of interviews and no jobs. (And having Aspergers and ADHD and no drivers license, no previous work experience since the paper route in Jr. High, and living in a rural area where they mainly seem to hire trick drivers, customer service, and nursing doesn't help either.)
Just curious---why don't you have a drivers license? Is it because of the ADHD/ASPERGERS? At least you should get a state ID, you need some sort of ID......

Old 05-28-2016, 03:25 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,593,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just curious---why don't you have a drivers license? Is it because of the ADHD/ASPERGERS? At least you should get a state ID, you need some sort of ID......
Yes, it is. My folks don't think I can handle driving and keep discouraging me from it. Also, I DO have a state ID. However, the fact is, without a drivers license, no nursing degree, and a HUGE disadvantage for all the customer service jobs around here due to ADHD/Aspergers, and no jobs around here, save one, that I have applied for already and not heard back, for my degree (not that it matters as I fear a CS degree goes stale with no use after 3 years after graduation.) , I don't know what to do.

True, I could aim really low, and have (and it hasn't worked), I'm getting really turned off by the whole corporate pipeline anyway. Also, my executive function is not the best, so that further hampers things.

I even have had DORS working with me for over a year (now going closer to 2 years) and still haven't gotten hired yet and probably could count the number of in person interviews I've had on one hand. (In fact, I think I can.

Staples, that IT place, that one place in the mall, Rural King, and that Dental Place.) I've had more phone interviews, of course, but most of those were in the past.

Even Indeed seems to be drying up as they seem to never update anymore and have 30+ day old stuff and it seems even harder to find what I was finding before. I've hit a lot of the local places that I can think of already and not gotten anywhere and locally it seems to be getting worse too to look on Indeed.)

Have tried job fairs and even Chamber of Commerce pages. Nothing is working.

Have even tried cold emailing (never cold calls because I'm too nervous.). Nothing.

Have tried applying out of state too. Nothing.

As for moving, not really doable at the moment without a license and without a job. I do have Medicaid to pay the bills now, but moving out of state could mess with that, so not attempting it till I can find an actual job that I HAVE there before risking that.

Have tried the papers and was able to get an interview out of that but never turned into a job.

Also, might add, that the "can't drive" thing also hampers with working, say, night shifts.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:46 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,815,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Yes, it is. My folks don't think I can handle driving and keep discouraging me from it. Also, I DO have a state ID. However, the fact is, without a drivers license, no nursing degree, and a HUGE disadvantage for all the customer service jobs around here due to ADHD/Aspergers, and no jobs around here, save one, that I have applied for already and not heard back, for my degree (not that it matters as I fear a CS degree goes stale with no use after 3 years after graduation.) , I don't know what to do.

True, I could aim really low, and have (and it hasn't worked), I'm getting really turned off by the whole corporate pipeline anyway. Also, my executive function is not the best, so that further hampers things.

I even have had DORS working with me for over a year (now going closer to 2 years) and still haven't gotten hired yet and probably could count the number of in person interviews I've had on one hand. (In fact, I think I can.

Staples, that IT place, that one place in the mall, Rural King, and that Dental Place.) I've had more phone interviews, of course, but most of those were in the past.

Even Indeed seems to be drying up as they seem to never update anymore and have 30+ day old stuff and it seems even harder to find what I was finding before. I've hit a lot of the local places that I can think of already and not gotten anywhere and locally it seems to be getting worse too to look on Indeed.)

Have tried job fairs and even Chamber of Commerce pages. Nothing is working.

Have even tried cold emailing (never cold calls because I'm too nervous.). Nothing.

Have tried applying out of state too. Nothing.

As for moving, not really doable at the moment without a license and without a job. I do have Medicaid to pay the bills now, but moving out of state could mess with that, so not attempting it till I can find an actual job that I HAVE there before risking that.

Have tried the papers and was able to get an interview out of that but never turned into a job.

Also, might add, that the "can't drive" thing also hampers with working, say, night shifts.

well 1st off dont ever be nervous. that can cause you to fail even killed. I’m serious. 2nd. you have all the answers but not the one to the problem. your blaming everything on a disability and other ppl and websites. i see that u trying to make a effort to get a job but it can’t be this bad. you have to communicate and not trust people will get back with u. make a effort to use the phone and communicate. the driving thing is bad i know. but just try the bus or dont take night jobs. easy solution. do something wit no complaining. good luck

Old 05-28-2016, 03:59 PM

19,174 posts, read 25,439,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets...
"Whiddle"?
Really?

As I used to tell my students, the first step toward achieving a goal is to be able to actually spell that goal.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,420,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
You need a retirement plan. and you would REALLY do well opening your own farmer market
i know a guy who did that, he always had a very small house on 1/4 acre, he turn every inch of his yard into a vegetable garden, and sold them out of his truck in a parking lot for cash. made more money than working

Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,581,646 times
OP, just sort out what you think will bring you joy and contentment and just go do it.
Do whatever it takes to make the changes.
Find your priorities and go live them.
In the end life is really very short.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,077,525 times
Quote:
No, I don't want to start a business. I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets, make furniture, or perhaps do sculpture and model making work. I can take raw materials from nature and make useful things, so I don't think I will ever starve. I could also farm and grow my own produce.

I like to work. But work is getting really stupid. Raises don't help anymore. They should probably be training other people, but other people won't do my job. And I definitely don't want another career, a welfare check or a handout. I want to cash my chips in and get out of the rat race, for good!

What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?

You are locked in a mental state of escapism, which comes from self-doubt. You need to address the reason for that doubt first. The rest is window dressing.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 PM

34,142 posts, read 17,216,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Tantrum?? On a nice Friday evening. You know what your options are. Deal. Decide.

Amen.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 AM

38 posts, read 31,109 times
Quote:
No, I don't want to start a business. I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets, make furniture, or perhaps do sculpture and model making work. I can take raw materials from nature and make useful things, so I don't think I will ever starve. I could also farm and grow my own produce.

I like to work. But work is getting really stupid. Raises don't help anymore. They should probably be training other people, but other people won't do my job. And I definitely don't want another career, a welfare check or a handout. I want to cash my chips in and get out of the rat race, for good!

What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?
Check landwatch.com and see what's out there, lots of good vacant land to move to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment