Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 AM

6,612 posts, read 3,694,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalWageEarner View Post
Check landwatch.com and see what's out there, lots of good vacant land to move to...
And maybe the OP might like one of those "Tiny Houses", if buying some land.

I understand the attraction. I can imagine being in a cabin for instance, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch (really), maybe whittling... maybe singing...dog and cat resting nearby..listening to sounds of nature. As long as one could be doing something enough to manage well - or having had won the Lottery. As one mentioned, what about Healthcare availability in this case and being able to fully care for oneself. There would be a lot to consider and it would take a certain type of person (or couple) to maintain in that environment. Realistically, one would likely begin craving more and would expectedly have a town to drive to for supplies. Ah...fantasies..

Last edited by In2itive_1; 05-29-2016 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 07:29 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,896,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No, I don't want to start a business. I would like to move far away from society, and widdle chess sets, make furniture, or perhaps do sculpture and model making work. I can take raw materials from nature and make useful things, so I don't think I will ever starve. I could also farm and grow my own produce.

I like to work. But work is getting really stupid. Raises don't help anymore. They should probably be training other people, but other people won't do my job. And I definitely don't want another career, a welfare check or a handout. I want to cash my chips in and get out of the rat race, for good!

What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?
The place is called UTOPIA. Good luck finding it and if you do . . . keep it to yourself!

Old 05-29-2016, 07:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,268,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
And maybe the OP might like one of those "Tiny Houses", if buying some land.

I understand the attraction. I can imagine being in a cabin for instance, sitting in a rocking chair on a porch (really), maybe whittling... maybe singing...dog and cat resting nearby..listening to sounds of nature. As long as one could be doing something enough to manage well - or having had won the Lottery. As one mentioned, what about Healthcare availability in this case and being able to fully care for oneself. There would be a lot to consider and it would take a certain type of person (or couple) to maintain in that environment. Realistically, one would likely begin craving more and would expectedly have a town to drive to for supplies. Ah...fantasies..
the key is that you do *something*.

Doing nothing is only good for about 1 month. It starts getting old. BTDT.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:29 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,313,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If other people won't do your job, it implies you have a lot of leverage. You could get bigger raises, and take up a hobby such as day trading, in the hope of getting rich enough to buy the whole company and be the big boss.

I like this kind of thinking; If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em!!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,094,783 times
Quote:
I would like to move far away from society...I could also farm and grow my own produce....get out of the rat race, for good!...What else is out there for people who like to work with their hands and brain, and also like lots of money, or really cheap cost of living parts of the world?
You can try living in an intentional community. Try the "directory" listings here, they are all over the US and world: Welcome to FIC - Fellowship for Intentional Community

Old 05-29-2016, 03:17 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,595,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
well 1st off dont ever be nervous. that can cause you to fail even killed. I’m serious. 2nd. you have all the answers but not the one to the problem. your blaming everything on a disability and other ppl and websites. i see that u trying to make a effort to get a job but it can’t be this bad. you have to communicate and not trust people will get back with u. make a effort to use the phone and communicate. the driving thing is bad i know. but just try the bus or dont take night jobs. easy solution. do something wit no complaining. good luck
There really isn't much of a bus around here. There is kinda one for people with disabilities (though, who knows, that might be hampered by the state budget crisis) but I need a job first for that to work out.

Right now, the trouble is even GETTING interviews.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:34 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,093,851 times
Middle class jobs are disappearing in the US thanks to free trade, global warming regulations, etc.
You must keep fighting to survive though, never give up.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 PM

29,935 posts, read 25,060,844 times
I have taken the long weekend to consider my options. I am going to begin focusing on model making, particularly scale model work. My goal is to construct dies to mass produce high quality scale model replicas on the side, until I can go full time with my ideas. Or maybe even mass produce toys using high quality materials that are non toxic and far superior to the junk from China that we subject our children to.

I'm also looking to purchase a large plot of land far up north to construct a private workshop, surrounded by nature. My goal is to be down to 6 months of work in 5 years. That is, work only half a full time schedule. The rest will be devoted to my new creative ideas, inventions and endeavors. Or maybe not have a job at all, if things work out.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:04 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,826,125 times
Quote:
I have taken the long weekend to consider my options. I am going to begin focusing on model making, particularly scale model work. My goal is to construct dies to mass produce high quality scale model replicas on the side, until I can go full time with my ideas. Or maybe even mass produce toys using high quality materials that are non toxic and far superior to the junk from China that we subject our children to.

I'm also looking to purchase a large plot of land far up north to construct a private workshop, surrounded by nature. My goal is to be down to 6 months of work in 5 years. That is, work only half a full time schedule. The rest will be devoted to my new creative ideas, inventions and endeavors. Or maybe not have a job at all, if things work out.
Well, let us know....We'll be hanging around waiting.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:22 PM

34,188 posts, read 17,261,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgustedman View Post
well, let us know....we'll be hanging around waiting.

lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment