Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 12:52 AM

9 posts, read 9,830 times

Advertisements

I understand in the past women often could not get good jobs/careers of their own, but today in the west at least it is FAR different and it is very common for women - at least those intelligent, hard working and ambitious - to get great jobs/careers yet the expectations for men from both men and women to have a great job/career has not really changed.

By that I mean, if a man is in his 40s and is working as a grocery bagger or as a cashier at McDonald's people will think it's sad that is all he can get and he should definitely should have had something better, yet if a woman is in her 40s and is a grocery bagger or cashier at McDonald's it is far less likely people will view that as the woman being a loser and sucks at life.

Today women get more college degrees than men and it is more likely a man will still date a woman no matter her age if she is also working some job you'd expect a teenager to have than vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:27 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,518 times
Simple. An ambitious man is an aphrodisiac to many women.Also, men can't have children, so usually the wife chooses to stay home for a while. Most women wouldn't view a man who works at McDonalds as someone to depend on to buy diapers, food and pay the bills while she's on maternity leave or taking a break until the child goes to preschool.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Simple. An ambitious man is an aphrodisiac to many women.Also, men can't have children, so usually the wife chooses to stay home for a while. Most women wouldn't view a man who works at McDonalds as someone to depend on to buy diapers, food and pay the bills while she's on maternity leave or taking a break until the child goes to preschool.
Agreed! I would pity anyone, male or female, who still has to work at McDonald's in their 40s.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:18 AM

521 posts, read 292,964 times
simple, men don't get pregnant so they have no execuse

Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Two solid incomes in a household are often preferable to one.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:19 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,376 times
Outdated social constructs, double standards, etc.

However, lately, I have been seeing more and more women as the primary bread winner of the family.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:20 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default mmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuatson View Post
I understand in the past women often could not get good jobs/careers of their own, but today in the west at least it is FAR different and it is very common for women - at least those intelligent, hard working and ambitious - to get great jobs/careers yet the expectations for men from both men and women to have a great job/career has not really changed.

By that I mean, if a man is in his 40s and is working as a grocery bagger or as a cashier at McDonald's people will think it's sad that is all he can get and he should definitely should have had something better, yet if a woman is in her 40s and is a grocery bagger or cashier at McDonald's it is far less likely people will view that as the woman being a loser and sucks at life.

Today women get more college degrees than men and it is more likely a man will still date a woman no matter her age if she is also working some job you'd expect a teenager to have than vice versa.
I would think the same way regardless of the person being male or female (which is not fair because I do not know their circumstances and it is easy to think that way because I am in their shoes). I am also going to admit I think I am a little out of touch with what the average person earns or does as I live in a major city, have a professional job and and I can not even imagine how anyone lives in a major city on minmum wage.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default Many women in that situation ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Outdated social constructs, double standards, etc.

However, lately, I have been seeing more and more women as the primary bread winner of the family.
I am one of those women and know many women like that. I think in general there are more options for both men and women now.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:25 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am one of those women and know many women like that. I think in general there are more options for both men and women now.
Yep. These days, there's really no excuse for a woman to expect that a man must take care of her due to her gender. If that is the prevailing attitude, I usually attribute the mindset to entitlement or being out of touch with modern social norms.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:26 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
My husband asked would I still have dated him if he worked at McDonalds. I told him no.

Seriously. What would I have in common with a 40 year old guy at McDonalds? Sure, if he was finishing a degree or something similar. Heck, even if he need (very) a little extra cash as a side to him regular job.

But otherwise we would have been a mismatch economically and ambitiously. If McDonald's was the best he could do as a main job, we would probably have nothing to talk about, he would feel awkward around my friends, he would not be as well traveled, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment