Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 AM

79 posts, read 71,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The most recent major one was against Verizon and it barely made the news.

Maybe where you are, but it was all over the news in my area. There was a bus strike here a few months back. I hear constant threats of union groups striking on the news.

My POINT is the OP has a [bleep] job if he has to wait 12 months to get PTO, and maybe he should rethink his line of work.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-22-2016 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
OP, I guess that it could be noted in the company policy book. if it's a large one. If it's a small company, then you have a choice....Stick out the next 4 months, then quit, of go on vacation and come back looking for a job.....

Old 06-22-2016, 12:09 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,088,633 times
Okay, folks, let's get back on topic. Please - no more discussions about employers who do or do not offer PTO during the first year of employment, nor about unions, strikes and the like. Please address OP's questions and don't hijack the thread. Thanks.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:03 PM

88 posts, read 86,964 times
Seems to me like you would be really risking the loss of your job if you do take this unpaid leave.

How important is the vacation in the long run, and how hard would it be to replace the job when you get back?

These are the questions.

At least they warned you! I've come back from vacation (paid leave with authorization) and found out I was transferred to a different (less desirable) position than before vacation. At least I didn't get fired.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:54 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichilover78 View Post
I'm asking what kind of jobs, no one (including yourself) has given me a straight answer.
It's not the type of job or the position but rather the whim of the company. I know people that work for one auto parts supplier where you cant take a vacation until you earned the vacation which is at your anniversary date, while others working the same job at a competition gets it as its accrued. So, job title/function/industry is meaningless, the company and only the company determines the policy.

So, if the OP's company has a policy of no paid vacation time off and they indicate that taking that much unpaid time off is an issue, the real question is how important is the vacation? If important, the OP needs to position them self to possibly be able to get unemployment benefits if they lose their job. If it's not important, they may need to forgo it for now.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:12 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Company A pays $12.60 an hour with 80 hours of vacation usable at anniversary date.
Company B pays $12.50 an hour with 40 hours of vacation usable as accrued (about .75 hours per week).
Company C pays $11.95 an hour with 120 hours of vacation usable at 1 hour per month pre anniversary date with balance usable starting on anniversary date.
Company D pays $10.00 an hour with 160 hours of vacation usable after 6 months earned in block of 40 hours per quarter.

Every person will have their own reasoning for picking which company they would work for. Heck it may have nothing to do with wages but he fact their preferred company provides tickets to the Ice Capades when in town. Vacation time, accrual and use policy is just one of many factors going into an individuals decision as to where to work.

One thing I did not see (I may have missed it) to the OP, were you aware of this use policy at hire?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,951,503 times
Quote:
I would never take a job that made me wait that long. I guess employers are just doing whatever they can get away with since it's much harder to find a job right now than it is to find an employee.
I had a couple of jobs in software development like that years ago, it's not a new policy on the part of the "mean employers" and has nothing to do with scarcity of jobs. Everyone should know a company's policies on things like leave before they start working at a place, and if they don't like it don't work there. Someone who does decide to take the job and go against the policy will suffer the consequences, at which point he/she can either suck it up and learn from the experience or go around complaining about their "mean" former employer.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,186,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtrustates View Post
So for the company i work their rules allow you to take paid vacation after you have worked for 1 year.
I have been with this company for about 8 months.
Im not asking for paid vacation i just asked my manager to let me leave for 10 days with no pay. He said that he cannot guarantee that i will still have the job when i come back.
what are my options? Lets say i come back and they dont want to take me back, can i file for unemployment or not?
Is there a special reason for asking for those days off? Perhaps, if you explain why you need the time off they would let you do it.

At my former company (a school district) you were allowed one "event/trip of a lifetime" unpaid vacation. Usually people used it for their honeymoon. And, management really, really meant "one" unpaid vacation. There were several people who used their "event/trip of a lifetime" and wanted a second unpaid time 15 or 20 or even 30 years later and were denied the time off. No one took the risk to just leave as they would have been fired.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Agreed OP has to make a decision. That is something I would have, and have negotiated before I took the job.

A few years ago I started a job but had a vacation planned. I told the company it was a deal breaker if I couldn't have that has PTO. My husband had a similar scenario and negotiated taking time off with no pay.

Your boss is hinting it isn't the best idea for you to take the time.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 PM

802 posts, read 1,369,137 times
Quote:
I'm curious what industry you work in, because that is a [bleep] policy. I've never heard of a job making you work more than 6 months before getting PTO time. Do you get sick time before a year is up, at least?
Automotive (auto parts)
yes we do get sick days before one year

sick time is the law.
law does not require employers to give you any paid vacation at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment