Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should high school kids be working while in high school?
Yes 109 76.76%
No 33 23.24%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,201 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure weather this belongs on the parenting forum or work and employment but I'll post it here since its mostly employment.
Do you guy think high school kids should be employed while they are in school or is it a bad idea until they are out of high school and start college?
I know it teaches them to be a good employment but its bad enough for HS students to go to school 5 days a week already from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
What do you guys think would you let your kids start working at that age and how would the employment world be for them at that age? It mostly seems they could either work in retail or fast food at first.

Last edited by CosmoStars; 07-11-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:29 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,071,979 times
Not everyday, but yes. I started on paper routes in Middle School.

Worked at an ice cream shop much of high school, Friday nights, or Saturdays. Band and sports sometimes got in the way, but whatever.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not everyday, but yes. I started on paper routes in Middle School.

Worked at an ice cream shop much of high school, Friday nights, or Saturdays. Band and sports sometimes got in the way, but whatever.
Were you able to balance school work pretty well while working at the same time?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,071,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Were you able to balance school work pretty well while working at the same time?
Sure. School. Sports. Band (wind ensemble and marching band (though I gave up marching band senior year as I was putting more time on soccer and prepping for basketball). And a couple of plays. Absolutely.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,718,730 times
It depends on whether or not he needs the money. Every situation is different.

My nephew 21 and never worked a day in his life. I am kind of concerned about that. His parents didn't want him working any food service jobs, so he just hasn't done any work so far. He is in college. They fund everything that he does. He goes on a lot of vacations and travels, but he doesn't seem to understand how privileged that he is.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:46 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,282,267 times
Summers yes, maybe on weekends but these days with all the homework (way more than I got in HS) and the pressure to be in activities, volunteer, etc. to apply to college, I think it's tough to get anything close to enough sleep as it is. Add in even a couple of hours of work on weekdays, and there's definitely not enough time for it all.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,384,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I'm not sure weather this belongs on the parenting forum or work and employment but I'll post it here since its mostly employment.
Do you guy think high school kids should be employed while they are in school or is it a bad idea until they are out of high school and start college.
I know it teaches them to be a good employment but its bad enough for HS students to go to school 5 days a week already from 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM.
What do you guys think would you let your kids start working at that age and how would the employment world be? It mostly seems they could either work in retail or fast food at first.
Sure..I know I did when in grade 9 and 10..prior to that I did babysitting...I only worked Saturdays.. later worked for summer at a Resort, away from home..learned to abide by the rules of the road..learn to deal with idiots as well as unruly children and then again..learn for myself just what I need to know about the reality of life beyond my particular bubble. Course I did have parents that were always there to guide me and support me when had questions about things I observed..I learned to hold my tongue..compartmentalize what I perceived to be idiot/bullying type behaviour ..then asked responsible adults about it. Therefore, never harboured any particular hatred toward anyone in particular..Only recognized the body que's and Body Language of those who exhibit it. Sure helped me later in my career of HC~ Frontline service

Getting educated in customer service, + the ability to earn a small income. Gave me a sense of pride and ability to manage my finances ( LOL such as it was back then).. But it does educate the younger minds on interacting with others..especially adults. In the end..I harken back to those days as the likely most important milestone in my life

Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It depends on whether or not he needs the money. Every situation is different.

My nephew 21 and never worked a day in his life. I am kind of concerned about that. His parents didn't want him working any food service jobs, so he just hasn't done any work so far. He is in college. They fund everything that he does. He goes on a lot of vacations and travels, but he doesn't seem to understand how privileged that he is.
We are talking about high school students thou.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Summers yes, maybe on weekends but these days with all the homework (way more than I got in HS) and the pressure to be in activities, volunteer, etc. to apply to college, I think it's tough to get anything close to enough sleep as it is. Add in even a couple of hours of work on weekdays, and there's definitely not enough time for it all.
I see.
Yea I only asked because I never did work during my HS days.
I started working when I attended college at the age of 18

Old 07-11-2016, 02:06 PM

285 posts, read 263,265 times
I got my first job at 16 and never got another one (discriminatory area, couldn't find work).
Edit: In school, never got another job during the school year. Afterwards, yes I found work. Especially since I moved.

I say yes. But mostly if they need it. I needed to work to help put food on the table and it was hell trying to balance work, school, and sports year round. Especially since I lived in an area where they had no public transportation so getting to and from work, practice, school, and home was hell.

So for students in high school I say kind of. If you're not involved (which is a terrible idea alone) then work part-times after school at least and get work experience. If you are involved, in sports, or simply an AP/PSEO/CIS student and are flooded with homework, I recommend at least a summer job/weekend only. Maybe even seasonal jobs to get experience, money, but not overly stress yourself out.

Last edited by ChrisTK; 07-11-2016 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Read edit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment